Flying And Nerves

Asalei

Does anyone else get really nervous before flying with their dogs?

This feeling has overcome me all week so far and I don't fly out until Saturday morning! I know once we get to Melbourne, I'll be ok. But it's all the "stressful" (in my mind!) things that happen before that, that churn my stomach. Getting to the airport on time, getting them lodged, making sure they get on the plane. It's the start of school holidays, so it might be busy. Hopefully not early morning. Then any slight turbulence, my stomach sinks. I always find that descending into Melbourne it's quite rough. This is my third year traveling to the Melb specialty.

Does anyone else get like this? or am I alone.

I hate it because I know my dogs feel it and I make it worse for them. As we are flying at 7:55am, alcohol is not an option.. it's not an option anyway as I'm allergic to it!

The dogs are fine on the other end once they see us and get out of their crates.

Does anyone else get really nervous before flying with their dogs?

This feeling has overcome me all week so far and I don't fly out until Saturday morning! I know once we get to Melbourne, I'll be ok. But it's all the "stressful" (in my mind!) things that happen before that, that churn my stomach. Getting to the airport on time, getting them lodged, making sure they get on the plane. It's the start of school holidays, so it might be busy. Hopefully not early morning. Then any slight turbulence, my stomach sinks. I always find that descending into Melbourne it's quite rough. This is my third year traveling to the Melb specialty.

Does anyone else get like this? or am I alone.

I hate it because I know my dogs feel it and I make it worse for them. As we are flying at 7:55am, alcohol is not an option.. it's not an option anyway as I'm allergic to it!

The dogs are fine on the other end once they see us and get out of their crates.

Yup! :)

This is why I drive from Yass in NSW to Brisbane for the Afghan Specialty. Takes me a lot longer but I feel so much better. Plus I get a longer holiday. LOL

Unfortunately it's too far for us to drive to Melbourne :(

I'd be ok if I knew while the plane was just cruising that they were sleeping with the gentle hum of the engine. My girl has never had a bad flight, but she shakes and pants in the terminal. She's always fine on the other end. My boy has only flown once and was alright on the way done, but on the way back he saw my girl and was panting when we got him out at the other end. But both are fine once out of the crate.

I hate it too. My husband and I are flyIng from NZ to Sydney with our two dogs in a couple of weeks. I worry that they will not be loaded, that the pilot will forget to correctly pressurize and heat the cargo hold, that the dogs will be left sitting on the tarmac in the blazing heat, that they'll be busting to go to the toilet the whole time, the crate will get dropped and break open on the tarmac etc etc etc!

Will be glad when we are landed and I have my dogs back in my own hands lol

I'm sure your trip will be fine. Domestic is pretty straight forward. Good luck :-)

Yep! All those things go through your mind. I always stand there and make sure I see their crates go out and up the luggage ramp. That's why I have a bright pink and white crate and a yellow and red, so they stand out.

I'll be fine once they are off and I have them out of the crates. It all starts again on the way home though!

Thank you. Good luck with your trip to Aus! I would be worried too, that's a lot longer trip than my babies.