Collecting A Urine Sample

Airedaler

Hi All,

Any tips on how to best go about collecting a urine sample from my 11 year old girl? She is a bit stand offish at the best of times and is not inclined to pee anywhere near where someone is standing let alone go if put on a lead.... that in itself is an afront to her! :)

So she doesn't ever go when she's on lead???? That would make it much easier!

Does she wee on command? If so give the command and have some sort of collection vessel! If not then it really will involve following her around until she is ready to go. If she really objects to having people near her when she's going then you might need to attach a container to something along he lines of a piece of dowl or a broomstick so that you can put the container in to the stream of urine to collect it.

This is part of the reason I teach my dogs to go on command!! But now you are making me think that I should do some practice with them collecting, just in case it's needed one day!!! (my last dog was diabetic so we were collecting urine samples at least weekly!!)

Hi All,

Any tips on how to best go about collecting a urine sample from my 11 year old girl? She is a bit stand offish at the best of times and is not inclined to pee anywhere near where someone is standing let alone go if put on a lead.... that in itself is an afront to her! :)

:) Been there, done that.

My Dobe would go from 8pm at night until 4pm then next day before I could get a sample.

First you need clean used ice cream container. This you cut so that you have a shallow base with one corner left on it to use as a handle.

Secondly you need a full day to devote to this task.

Third you need to fill him with liquid. My home made soup was very popular! :D

The vet may ask why the urine is so dilute, tho. :laugh:

Then you take said dog out on lead. As many times as it takes.

The trick is to let them start peeing before you dive to get the sample. The theory being that once the flow is established, it is almost impossible for them to stop. So you get some since the poor bugger is pretty much full of it by the time she lets go!

Good luck! :D

Edit to add: Take the sample straight to the vet while it is still fresh.

Edited by noisymina

keep her in the house at nighttime

get one of those glad disposable containers

let dog out in the morning

quickly follow her, and just as she starts to squat put the container under her

get sample, put lid on container.

it used to work for my cavalier when I had to take urine samples

My dogs always pee on the grass in front of the vets, due to all the doggy smells before we go in, so I leave the dog in the car, go into the vets and ask for a kidney dish, get the dog out of the car and make sure I am quick positioning the dish as they squat or lift their leg. It has never failed, saves hours chasing them around at home and I don't even need to supply my own container. :D

Hi All,

:) Been there, done that.

My Dobe would go from 8pm at night until 4pm then next day before I could get a sample.

First you need clean used ice cream container. This you cut so that you have a shallow base with one corner left on it to use as a handle.

Secondly you need a full day to devote to this task.

Third you need to fill him with liquid. My home made soup was very popular! :D

The vet may ask why the urine is so dilute, tho. :laugh:

Then you take said dog out on lead. As many times as it takes.

The trick is to let them start peeing before you dive to get the sample. The theory being that once the flow is established, it is almost impossible for them to stop. So you get some since the poor bugger is pretty much full of it by the time she lets go!

Good luck! :D

Edit to add: Take the sample straight to the vet while it is still fresh.

Saved me typing it out, that is my method too! :)

I use a soup ladle ( special one I keep for this type of thing not are usual one smile.gif)

I find the dog doesn't seem to notice it as much as a container, I just take them out either on a lead or walk beside them

mine tend to go if I say do a wee and then just have to bed down slightly and pop ladle under and collect

I use a long handled milk saucepan,[small] you can pick them up from an op shop very cheaply.

Easier with a female, the male tends to put his leg down into it, so I have to be more careful.

My vets are now used to me walking in with a saucepan.

I live on a busy corner so I just have to put up with the smart remarks yelled from passing cars as I follow the dog with the saucepan or are seen putting the saucepan under them as they pee. Cant be too sensitive!!!!

Hi All,

Hard if she won't go when on a lead. But if you can follow close enough, might be do-able (I must admit after making the mistake with one dog of not teaching her to go on lead as a puppy - and having her hold it for three days when away for a show - I now teach ALL my dogs to go when on lead. Makes things so much easier for things like this).

Do it first thing in the morning when you let her out as she will genarally need to pee then.

I use a soup ladle or large serving type spoon - easy and not so intrusive to stick between the legs at the rear and a long enough handle that you don't have to get in too close and 'spook' them.

A tip - make sure you have the specimen jar open before you start. Trying to juggle a full spoon and open a jar at the same time is NOT easy :laugh:

Edited by espinay2

Hi Everyone,

Many thanks for your tips. Now for me to put them in place. Outside the vets may well be the most reliable place for me to succeed with this bitch as she always has to mark the territory there.

Espinay I particularly like your tip re having the jar open! Is is often the small things in life that bring the great plans undone isn't it?

Cheers

SueH

Edited by Airedaler