When To Ask The $$ Questions

dogmate

Poor you having a husband that won't allow you to purchase something you want , is it just me that really can't handle this lol lol it's like running fingernails down a blackboard when I hear this... ..

Rude much??? $3000 is a lot of money, my OH wouldn't allow me to spend that sort of money without a bloody good reason, and neither would I for that matter

Poor you having a husband that won't allow you to purchase something you want , is it just me that really can't handle this lol lol it's like running fingernails down a blackboard when I hear this... ..

Rude much??? $3000 is a lot of money, my OH wouldn't allow me to spend that sort of money without a bloody good reason, and neither would I for that matter

^^

This

I think most families would have to discuss this sort of purchase it is a lot of money

I agree with most others discuss the breed health etc first but do ask cost near the end of the conversation

For my pet folk who ring I always mention the price if they havent as some dont feel comfortable asking as they have heard that you shouldnt ask price etc

My shiba inu breeder offered me the price of her pups in her first reply email which I appreciated as I didn't know when to ask either. She didn't tell me what they usually sell for in Australia or how she compared, she just said 'my pups are x amount' and only sells to pet homes so there was only one price. I have since discovered my pup was a lot cheaper than other breeders sell for, so that's a bonus as I couldn't be happier with my little girl. The breeder is SUCH a great person, and my pup came to me so loved and cared for, I am so lucky to have found her.

My daughter was looking for a pup in the near future, she had been conversing with a breeder via email, and it was going great. Then when my daughter asked about price she never heard from the breeder again. Apparently the breeder wanted her to put her name down on the list now, my daughter didn't want a puppy yet, she just wanted to know as much information as she could from this breeder, so when she asked about the price (to get an idea of what she would have to save for)....the breeder shut off all communication :confused:

She has no idea and neither do I....

Lynn

^^

This

I think most families would have to discuss this sort of purchase it is a lot of money

I agree with most others discuss the breed health etc first but do ask cost near the end of the conversation

For my pet folk who ring I always mention the price if they havent as some dont feel comfortable asking as they have heard that you shouldnt ask price etc

I agree, $3000 is a lot of money when there are so many perfectly good breeds available for closer to $1000 and most others under $2000. It annoys me when women say their husband won't let them have a dog but the money factor does need to be discussed just like it would be if the husband wanted to spend the same amount on a boat, golf clubs or whatever. The family has to be able to afford it.

When Aussies were first bred here they were around $2000 due to the cost of importing the parents but they are still not easy to sell as pets because the general public are not familiar with them and pet prices have come down more in line with many other breeds. Of course breeding stock from new imports would be more expensive.

$3000 pets are mainly the rarer breeds with recent imports, giant breeds because they cost so much to raise and the "trendy breeds" like Frenchies, Bostons and British Bulldogs who are so expensive to breed due to all the health issues.

My daughter was looking for a pup in the near future, she had been conversing with a breeder via email, and it was going great. Then when my daughter asked about price she never heard from the breeder again. Apparently the breeder wanted her to put her name down on the list now, my daughter didn't want a puppy yet, she just wanted to know as much information as she could from this breeder, so when she asked about the price (to get an idea of what she would have to save for)....the breeder shut off all communication :confused:

She has no idea and neither do I....

Lynn

Start a new thread on here and ask for breeder recommendations, approx prices, health testing, etc. As in all walks of life there are some dog breeders who are just weird but the majority are not so don't let one put you off buying a puppy.

I can't remember weather I asked about the price during the initial conversations via email or the first phonecall or if they were given to me. I definitely had to know, but what it came down to, I had found a breeder I was happy with, and I knew a rough estimate of the price of my chosen breed, and the price I was told was about that - when I decided the timing was right for my next dog I began a savings fund straight away and I put my weekly spending money into that until I had enough.

I think price is an important thing to know for most people. If I need a new appliance or have a renovation to do around the house, I plan and budget it out beforehand and make sure I have the money before the job begins or before I go shopping. Getting a puppy was no different for me. I would hardly go into a shop, get a fridge loaded into my car and fill out the paperwork and then say "Well sorry, it's more than I expected it would be, I can't buy this" nor would I do this with a puppy :)

I dont mind when you ask any question. Just be yourself . There isnt a chance I would spend more than a hundred dollar on one item unless it was an urgent necessity without first discussing it with my hubby and if he did that Id be off the air.

Thanks for the replys good to know the price is in my range. I went to a rally o trial yesterday and spoke to a couple of owners. We are going to a breed show next weekend. We are in nsw so i hope to find a breeder close so i can go and meet with them see their other dogs. I have always bought a show quality pup and am yet to get a ch title due to various reasons and once the pups old enough i start the sports and the showing is less important to me so i choose to go to a trial rather than a show and cant get points if we dont enter :) so this time i think i will pick the pup i just like if its show quality good if not doesnt matter.