Antihistamine. Which One?

Remarkabull

Depends what you need it for.

According to our vet new gen drugs are no good for skin problems.

We've used Polaramine for some time now. It seems to do it's job.

Ops...sorry. Didn't realize you had specific 2 in mind

Edited by Kajtek

Doesn't really help you much I guess, but my vet suggested 10mg Phenergan for my Border Collies, and I have also used Polaramine. Maybe try doing a search on the forums??

OK - have a look at this thread

there's a helpful list in post #9 - it includes Telfast . The thread is about skin allergies, but I guess the same would be true for emergency treatment e.g. for insect bites ... why I got the suggestion from my vet.

And another thread ..... which also says that Ingleburn vet website has a helpful chart - ahven't checked that one. :)

ETadd info

Edited by Tassie

Thanks for replies. A couple of years ago Barkley was stung by a bee and his face went up like a balloon! I took him to vet and they gave him antihistamine by injection that time but I remember them telling me that I could give him people ones if it happened again but can't remember if there was a specific one or not.

No bee sting this time just what I think is a reaction to a different dry food I've started to feed again but it's the first time Simi has had it and she has been getting more and more itchy over the last couple of weeks. I'm guessing it's the food as she hasn't had any prior issues with skin problems etc. I have got her back on Vets All Natural as of today but thought maybe an antihistamine might help soothe her until it settles back down.

Telfast is ok but I am not sure of the dose. There are lots of different brands that dogs can have but you need to know the dosage which varies a lot. With some they can have up to double a human dose and with others less than a human. If you stick with a child's dose until you can check with the vet, it should be fine.

I keep Phenergan on hand for sudden allergic reactions but have also had a dog on Claratyne long term and tried a few others before we settled on that one.

I use polaramine with Harri, and that seems to take the edge of his itches. Our vet said telfast or polaramine are ok. But double check for dosage etc.