Bilious Vomiting Syndrome In Dogs

ChewieTAG

Low fat and less salt cottage cheese it is.. And give Snowy something else to chew on.

:( cottage cheese is really not classed as 'something to chew'

If you are interested in learning more about what foods contain the nutrients needed ...and read about other's experience in feeding all sorts of diets .. CLICK HERE :)

Snowy is lucky having such a concerned owner... but just remember , worrying does neither of you a favour ....

thanks for the link @persephone ! thumbsup1.gif

about the cottage cheese, I meant to say 'find something else to chew on' but not the cottage cheese (cottage cheese is given as treats occasionally)... frown.gif sorry I guess I put it in a sentence sound misleading. Something else to chew on such as those teething bone toy or chew toy is what I mean.. laugh.gif

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something else to chew on such as those teething bone toy or chew toy is what I mean.. laugh.gif

:)

IF he will chew on them :p

a lot of dogs are sensible and refuse to chew on synthetic toys ,(which are mostly marketed to be appealing to the human eye , by the way) .......

Will he chew on an apple? (wash, but leave peel on). he can also play with apples ..roll them around and chase them like balls ..and then sit down & have a nibble ! I love using them as puppy toys .

:)

IF he will chew on them :p

a lot of dogs are sensible and refuse to chew on synthetic toys ,(which are mostly marketed to be appealing to the human eye , by the way) .......

Will he chew on an apple? (wash, but leave peel on). he can also play with apples ..roll them around and chase them like balls ..and then sit down & have a nibble ! I love using them as puppy toys .

Apples! good point! thumbsup1.gif I never thought of it! I gave him small pieces but never thought to give him size of halves. He has small mouth and short nose so, need to probably slice the apple to half so he can nibble / chew? I might consider carrot too.. smile.gif

You are great with ideas and help @persephone! smile.gifthumbsup1.gifTHanks again!

and yes, he does chew on that synthetic bone shaped toy. Sometimes the sound of it makes me cringe.. He has a lot of Kong toys by the way. One of it wubba with that tentacles? He finally chew off one of the tentacles and I had to snip it off before he eats it ..

I do give him Greenies. He chew it and done within a day confused.gif Will give him 2-3 greenies a week. Although pack said daily is ok?

need to probably slice the apple to half so he can nibble / chew? I might consider carrot too.. smile.gif
<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 17.600000381469727px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247); ">

No.. the idea is not to just feed him , it is to keep him occupied for a long time , maybe all day- on & off ..and give him challenges ...with a reward at the end :)

After rolling a ball around ..it often will get bruised/split ..so the pup licks the juice, and starts to nibble (well, that's what happens here, anyhow )

Meat contains phosphorus, bones contain calcium. This is why dogs should be fed meat on edible/digestible (non weight bearing) bones. Veggies do contain some vitamins and minerals, including calcium, but no-where near enough to balance the diet. Dogs also digest vegetables differently to humans. You need to pulverise them raw to break down the cellulose wall for the dog to get any value out of them. And even then it's minimal.

Rice will provide carbohydrates, but again doesn't have much nutritional value beyond a filler.

Egg shell is not dangerous, but there are better options available.

The Advance Puppy dry food is good. thumbsup1.gif

If you don't want to feed bones then I'd suggest you look into VAN http://www.vetsallnatural.com.au/

Basically you soak the mix overnight then add your choice of raw meat. Provides a balanced diet and saves all the stuffing around. You can get a free sample here if it interests you: http://www.vetsallna...id=71&Itemid=85

Don't stress over the surgery, your dog will be just fine. smile.gif

thanks @SecretKei

I've just received the sample from VANS last Friday biggrin.gif was looking at it for few weeks and reading through the forum then decided to ask for sample smile.gif Not sure how well Snowy will take it but sample will be good to test his stool and his tummy biggrin.gif I am not a fan of grains and stuff but I will sample it and see how Snowy goes.. If all well, I might consider the Complete mix for puppy?

the vege are all steamed and mash to a puree then baked for few minutes to set it a bit. As for the rice, I do agree with the carb, so didn't put a lot of it but just enough..

As for the eggshell, I believe if not bone then eggshell is the next better option, because of the mineral the shell has in it. This is what I understand from research.

*trying to distract myself from worrying too much over the coming surgery!*

Oh yeah the surgery will be this coming Wednesday! frown.gif I feel like *am I doing the right thing for SnowY* (ok stop thinking!)

No.. the idea is not to just feed him , it is to keep him occupied for a long time , maybe all day- on & off ..and give him challenges ...with a reward at the end :)

After rolling a ball around ..it often will get bruised/split ..so the pup licks the juice, and starts to nibble (well, that's what happens here, anyhow )

Ahh I see...

can keep him entertain! thumbsup1.gif

Meat contains phosphorus, bones contain calcium. This is why dogs should be fed meat on edible/digestible (non weight bearing) bones. Veggies do contain some vitamins and minerals, including calcium, but no-where near enough to balance the diet. Dogs also digest vegetables differently to humans. You need to pulverise them raw to break down the cellulose wall for the dog to get any value out of them. And even then it's minimal.

Rice will provide carbohydrates, but again doesn't have much nutritional value beyond a filler.

Egg shell is not dangerous, but there are better options available.

The Advance Puppy dry food is good. thumbsup1.gif

If you don't want to feed bones then I'd suggest you look into VAN http://www.vetsallnatural.com.au/

Basically you soak the mix overnight then add your choice of raw meat. Provides a balanced diet and saves all the stuffing around. You can get a free sample here if it interests you: http://www.vetsallna...id=71&Itemid=85

Don't stress over the surgery, your dog will be just fine. smile.gif

thanks @SecretKei

I've just received the sample from VANS last Friday biggrin.gif was looking at it for few weeks and reading through the forum then decided to ask for sample smile.gif Not sure how well Snowy will take it but sample will be good to test his stool and his tummy biggrin.gif I am not a fan of grains and stuff but I will sample it and see how Snowy goes.. If all well, I might consider the Complete mix for puppy?

the vege are all steamed and mash to a puree then baked for few minutes to set it a bit. As for the rice, I do agree with the carb, so didn't put a lot of it but just enough..

As for the eggshell, I believe if not bone then eggshell is the next better option, because of the mineral the shell has in it. This is what I understand from research.

*trying to distract myself from worrying too much over the coming surgery!*

Oh yeah the surgery will be this coming Wednesday! frown.gif I feel like *am I doing the right thing for SnowY* (ok stop thinking!)

Complete mix would be fine. I don't think there's a lot of difference between the puppy and the adult versions? You could ask here if you were interested: http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/232270-vets-all-natural-perfect-puppy-nutrition/

There's nothing 'wrong' with eggshell, but if you're planning on giving it as the main source of calcium then personally I think there are better options available. Have a look here: http://www.greenpet.com.au/products/VETS-ALL-NATURAL-HEALTH-BOOSTER.html and here http://www.callicoma.com.au/supplem1.htm (the multi mix)

Snowy will be fine, he has no idea that he's having surgery and when it's all done he'll have no idea what happened. Nothing to worry about. smile.gif

we are back from the desexed. Snowy is back with us but resting. He kept waking up in between and whine cries, then try to run off but fell down wobbling and rest back. I kept petting him back to sleep. Then he sleeps. frown.gif We took him back at 4pm.

He has a few things under surgery, hernia , desexed and baby tooth removal .. wow!

Vet said she gave him two type of pain killer or pain killer with anaesthetic....All the drugs and medications will wear off after few hours to 24 hours. I was given antibiotics to be given to Snowy, half a tablet two times a day.

I don't think I will be feeding him any time soon tonight till he is awake and feeling hungry.

Is this normal for Snowy to whine and cries then rest after the procedure? frown.gif

Is this normal for Snowy to whine and cries then rest after the procedure?

:) have you ever had anaesthetic? It can make you feel quite odd and disoriented and it is a bit upsetting when arms&legs don't work the way you want :p

Just leave him quiet ....and no, he will not need food tonight.... unless he is absolutely wide awake as normal.

Make sure he is somewhere safe-- so he doesn't try to walk down steps, or jump onto things .

:) have you ever had anaesthetic? It can make you feel quite odd and disoriented and it is a bit upsetting when arms&legs don't work the way you want :p

Just leave him quiet ....and no, he will not need food tonight.... unless he is absolutely wide awake as normal.

Make sure he is somewhere safe-- so he doesn't try to walk down steps, or jump onto things .

LOL of course I have not and so I have no idea confused.gif.. Not sure what it will do to someone who was under anaesthetic but I bet he/she might be disoriented , hallucinating and having nightmares...

Snowy stops his cries and whining at 2am. We did feed him small portions at 8pm, 10pm and then last 12pm. The total feeds are still lesser than his usual meal portion. He eats like usual, normal.

He stops his cries at 2am but whine about the collar. We had to put him with collar so he doesn't moves much and tries to rub his face / body against the metal play pen. We confined him in playpen at the moment. Right after 2am, everyone has a good night sleep till Snowy wakes up at 5am.

What a cry baby, love him so much. heart.gif

He is still very uncomfortable about his under, maybe sore and feeling weird. Other than that, he took his meal, water and peed. Now asleep. smile.gif

We all survived the first night smile.gif and 9 more days to go!

Hope everything goes well from here crossfingers.gif

post-45759-0-49193700-1349301599_thumb.jpg