Rspca

Odin-Genie

I watched RSPCA rescue where there had been a report of a dog with a docked tail located around Bankstown. I watched while the inspector knocked on the door got no response so she got a ladder and climbed up to the second floor - open window - went in and seized the dog. Left the owner a note to get in touch with them. The dog was about 6 months old and did have a docked tail which had been done some 6 months earlier. So based on that I guess the answer is they can and do. owner said the dog was docked when she got it and her ex boyfriend had purchased it for her so she didn't know who the breeder was and the ex was travelling overseas and she had no idea how to contact him to ask him. So they returned the dog to her.

You missed the worst part of that story.

They took the dog to their vet hospital, put it under a general anaesthetic and x-rayed it all without the owner's permission or knowledge to ascertain whether the dog was a natural bob or had been docked.

I was so horrified. The owner had no idea their dog had been taken and it was a brachy breed to top it off. Unnecessary GA and the dog could have died while under and who would be responsible?! Not the RSPCA!!

This exactly, I would have been furious. The dog's tail was perfectly healed, it showed no signs of pain or discomfort, it was well fed and had water a bed etc. They climbed onto a balcony they dog was on as the people were out and seized the dog.

They could have waited until the owner was home, told them what was going ona dn asked them to bring it in for an examination which may or may not have involved a GA, my dogs will lay still and stay so don't even need sedation unless theya re in pain of course.

If it was me I would have gone balistic

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing that gets to me is they ignore valid complaints and emergencies and focus on this BS :mad

True. I've heard some horrible stories about reports being ignored. :mad

It is really about what is in the reports that are made. Child protection is the same. People can and do report, but they give so little information that they do not have enough to go on. Child protection is based on reasonable belief, police warrants are based on reasonable belief. The police cannot prove you committed a crime without finger prints, DNA or the like and these cannot be taken without you being arrested first. They are simply required to have reasonable belief. Child protection cannot prove a child is being harmed without seeing the child. In order to see the child they have to have reasonable belief. Are there children who slip through absolutely, are there children who are taken who should not be, absolutely, and way too many. I can assure you there are websites of parents who seriously have done nothing more than the average parent and the kids were taken away, often at 3 am by the police, and put in some institutional setting with total strangers, kids are not placed in foster care at 3 am that is left until the following day. Don't think that traumatises a child??

Whatever one might think of dail docking it is illegal in ALL states of Australia. The RSPCA cannot just do as they like, they are required to get court orders to keep any animal in their care. They can enter to investigate, just like child protection and the police.

Of course foster children can be placed in care at 3am in the morning. I'm not sure where you have received this information from.

They most certainly can be my friend works for DOCS and another is a foster carer. they get renoved and palced in foster homes when they do not matter what time of the day or night it is.

Again this kind of comparison takes us no where - kids are not property and there is a different accountability process.

the RSPCA and AWL are appointed as quasi police forces with not outside accountability process and no requirement for transparency.

As well as this part of his evidence has still not been addressed in any form ?

"The RSPCA since about 2000, to my knowledge, have been engaging private solicitors to conduct their prosecutions and one might ask why did they move to this system.

It is my submission that this practice should cease and that Police Prosecutors should conduct the prosecutions for the RSPCA. I say that on this basis. By engaging private Solicitors or barristers there is no obligation on them to place before the Court evidence that may disadvantage their case. Legal and Professional Costs come into play. If their prosecution is successful they would ask for these costs. It seems unbelievable that recently in one of their prosecutions at Narrabri an amount in excess of a quarter of a million dollars was sought for costs in a matter heard in the Local Court, and as I said before, an offence not serious at law."

yet politicions can spend parlimentary time discussing tempement testing at the RSPCA kennels?

where on earth are their priorities. imagine how smartly the turn around if one of them, was facing over a 1/4 a million in legal fees if one of their neighbours decided to dob and an inspector "formed the opinion" without knowing the pet owner was a minister? :rofl:

can only hope it happens one day and the sooner the better eh :)

it stunned the locals when Jacki Kelly had a car accident on the m4 and almost next day were new speed reduction signs up for that section of road. so as they say, if a pollie is affected there's "precedent" for fast action

Edited by asal

Reading this, made me realise why so many people see so many different perspectives to what others see entirely differently... simply brilliant.

A Matter of Perspective

TWO WOMEN - are having a coffee and catching up:

So, how was your evening last night?

A disaster! After getting home, my dear beloved hubby wolfed down in 4 minutes the dinner that took me all afternoon to prepare, "granted" me 3 minutes of passionate love before rolling over and falling asleep 2 minutes later. Nightmare, and you?

Oh, mine was incredible. My hubby was waiting for me to get back home from work.

He took me out for a very romantic dinner.

We then walked back home, under an amazing starry sky, along the canal, for a good two hours. Once home, he lit up all the candles and we had foreplay which lasted for an hour.

We then made love for another hour and we chatted until late.. It was wonderful.

TWO MEN - meet at the pub...

So, how was your evening last night?

Incredible! When I came home, the food was ready. I ate, we shagged and I fell asleep. Wonderful night, I just love my wife, You?

A nightmare! I came home early to fix the kitchen shelf.

When I switched on the power drill, the fuse went out. The whole house went into darkness. Couldn't find the bloody fuse box, so when my better half arrived, I took her out for dinner. It was the only thing to do to avoid getting an ear-full...!

The Dinner was so expensive that I couldn't afford a taxi, so we had to walk home. It took ages and once there, the house was still in the dark, obviously, so I had to light all these f*cking candles to avoid knocking everything over.

I was so wound up and pissed off that it took me an hour to get a hard on, and another hour to finish.

In the end, I was still wound up and it took me ages to fall asleep, while she kept yapping on and on about everything and nothing.......total disaster.

Thing that gets to me is they ignore valid complaints and emergencies and focus on this BS :mad

True. I've heard some horrible stories about reports being ignored. :mad

It is really about what is in the reports that are made. Child protection is the same. People can and do report, but they give so little information that they do not have enough to go on. Child protection is based on reasonable belief, police warrants are based on reasonable belief. The police cannot prove you committed a crime without finger prints, DNA or the like and these cannot be taken without you being arrested first. They are simply required to have reasonable belief. Child protection cannot prove a child is being harmed without seeing the child. In order to see the child they have to have reasonable belief. Are there children who slip through absolutely, are there children who are taken who should not be, absolutely, and way too many. I can assure you there are websites of parents who seriously have done nothing more than the average parent and the kids were taken away, often at 3 am by the police, and put in some institutional setting with total strangers, kids are not placed in foster care at 3 am that is left until the following day. Don't think that traumatises a child??

Whatever one might think of dail docking it is illegal in ALL states of Australia. The RSPCA cannot just do as they like, they are required to get court orders to keep any animal in their care. They can enter to investigate, just like child protection and the police.

Of course foster children can be placed in care at 3am in the morning. I'm not sure where you have received this information from.

They most certainly can be my friend works for DOCS and another is a foster carer. they get renoved and palced in foster homes when they do not matter what time of the day or night it is.

Since we have massives shortages of foster carers they are rarely if ever used in emergencies. One cannot sit on a phone at 3 am ringing around for hours and hours and hours on end hoping that someone MIGHT take the child. On average it takes them 100 foster carers to find a home for a child. They do not ring 100 different people at 3 am.

Brookestar - I promise you that you are wrong on many counts including the episode I am discussing. You may have seen a different episode but be careful about accusing me of making it up.I believe Melzawelza saw the same episode. Best you take a better look at state laws and what they can and cant do before you stick your neck out.

Since the episodes are all available online, then why not simply provide a link to the relevant episode and then we can all check it out for ourselves and decide what is and what is not the case. And don't tell me to link to them. I'm not the one claiming an episode did something, you are.

From the horses mouth so to speak

a child taken into care out of hours will be placed with a foster carer - because we have to be sure that where we put them is better than where they came from, all general foster carers must be fully assessed and registered. The first port of call though will always be with family members if possible to minimise the disruption to the child - at least in the immediate term. In this case, an interim assessment would be done asap, especially if that relative wants to continue to provide care for the child. Regardless of whether or not it is general foster care or with a relative, in an emergency situation the child would always remain with the Duty officer after-hours until placed