Beef Bully V's Piggy Ears

Stitch

Which one does your dog prefer?? and have they had any digestive issues consuming either of them???

I have mainly fed piggy ears however I have purchased kangaroo tendons only to find that they got mouldy looking after a few weeks. I bought in bulk and threw them out when I saw that so won't buy that again.

The thought of what beef bully actually is doesn't phase me but chews that go whitish or develop a fuzzy look to them do! :eek:

Edited by Stitch

I stopped giving my Staffy's pig's ears when they started trying to inhale them, they didnt look overly safe to me. They now get Bully Stick, Bull Chew, Beef Stick, whatever you like to call them, in our house they are known as Pee Pee's.

If you can get your hands on a nice big Pee Pee, it lasts for ages, my girls usually get a couple of goes before they are done. Being Staffy's, Pee Pee's are the only thing I have found last more than 2 minutes.

Bully sticks all the way. I rarely buy pigs ears now, they are a bit of a treat but they get through them in about 5 minutes. I'm waiting on 2kg of bully sticks to be delivered and the dogs will be sooooo excited!!! Oh and with the long ones I've just bought I should get them chewing for a good 20-30 minutes on them!

I wonder if the bully sticks are produced in Australia or overseas???

I bought some trial ones today...and they do stink...however if they are a success I will buy them on-line as they are cheaper.

Hopefully they won't fuzz up like the kangaroo tendons!!

Guest Clover

My guys prefer piggie ears but they don't last very long at all. My old girl loved her ''pee pees' though :laugh:. I dont have the heart to buy them anymore because they were her treats.

Minimax where do you get yours? I only want to buy Australian ones.

I bought a small trial pack of plaited ones from a local shop however they only lasted about 15 minutes and one of mine nearly choked on a small piece. They seem very brittle and I will be tossing the remaining few as I don't want that happening again.

I expected they would last longer than that???

Minimax where do you get yours? I only want to buy Australian ones.

I bought a small trial pack of plaited ones from a local shop however they only lasted about 15 minutes and one of mine nearly choked on a small piece. They seem very brittle and I will be tossing the remaining few as I don't want that happening again.

I expected they would last longer than that???

I get all my treats from http://australianpettreatcompany.com.au/

They have extra large bully sticks for big dogs too! http://australianpettreatcompany.com.au/products/Beef-Whizzers-EXTRA-LARGE-Pet-Treats-1-kg.html

I'm pretty confident that one of my dogs got HGE from a pigs ear. According to my vet, the bacteria count in them can be through the roof if they aren't cured correctly.

I mainly feed beef jerky (from the Australian pet treat company) to my dogs these days. Otherwise they get real bones to chew on.

I was going to buy sheeps ears once and I asked the seller where they came from and they said Argentina!! :eek:

You would think that as we have soooo many sheep in Australia that we would have our own sheeps ears, but no, they import them!!

So I don't take anything for granted now! :laugh:

I've got to say I don't 'like' giving my guys piggy ears but they have been the best of a bad bunch since having the tendons, which were Australia made, go fuzzy in a matter of days.

I think these things should really be kept in the fridge but then if they are properly 'cured' then they shouldn't need refrigeration.

I just keep my dried stuff in a sealed plastic container in a dry dark spot. The only thing I have had go fuzzy on me were some sheep necks once & that was during our long humid summer. The tendons I get seem to have a long shelf life....I have never had to throw them out.

Update - got some Beef Bully sticks from the Australian company and they look fine.

Downside - every one of my lot got through a 20cm stick in about 1/2 hour.

I was hoping that they would last longer....is that normal??

"After many requests from customers for odor-free bully sticks, we've found them! From a new supplier, these sticks are virtually odorless (you'd have to get "awfully close" to smell them).

Residual moisture (and water) amplify the odor of bully sticks. This new supplier dries the sticks longer than usual, which results in a product with almost zero moisture-or odor.

These bully sticks are all natural. Unlike other bully stick producers, which often use bleach to remove odor, absolutely no chemicals are used on these chews. They're just like all Best Bully Sticks products: healthy, safe, and delicious!"

Bonz