Rspca Criticised Over Claims Test To Decide Fate Of Dogs Is Misused

minimax

Who's Dougie :confused:

I know that dogs terrified by the inablilty to handle the stress of environmental change have a nerve issue, one of the primary factors that will fail a police dog candidate, inefficient stability. The event of the stress encountered by the lost dog at the pound reveals the true character of the dog under pressure and it fails the test of temperament stability. Too many excuses for dogs of poor temperamemt.

I would suspect the fear of a rehomed dog actually attacking it's new owners & then the distinct possibility of litigation resulting in massive compensation would be a factors in the stringent temperament testing.

Add to that too many dogs, too few testers with too little time & it's a lose, lose situation all around.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the "luxury" of having a friend with kennels... and can test my own dogs in that environment. Simply put, they don't present the same way when in the kennel environment as they do at home or in public places... even though I am there and they know that they aren't staying...

My Rotti/Pittie girl who is 13 (but looks younger), shuts down when placed in a kennel block surrounded by other dogs in their own kennels. She barks and whines and then begins to sulk. When you open the kennel door, she tries to barge out past you. She is not interested in interacting with the other dogs or toys in this sort of environment.

My Lab girl who is nearly 7, does not fancy being in a busy kennel environment either. When you try to enter her kennel, she will barge for the door or jump all over you in extreme excitement (but no mouthing). If you walk away from her kennel, she goes mental with barking and whining to try to get you to come let her out again.

My disabled camp dog who is 2, is the only one who handles being in a busy kennel block - but she'd probably never even get as far as an RSPCA temp test due to her physical disability.

I think the temp test posted needs some refining to allow for a wider range of actual behaviour and also needs to note that most dogs will show completely different results when NOT in a busy kennel/shelter environment.

T.