Polyethylene In Dog Food

Rainy

Quote:

Science Diet Acquires Patent to Use Polyethylene

by Ryan on October 5, 2012

in Pet Health

Science Diet has recently acquired a patent to use polyethylene in their products. The purpose is to extend the shelf life of their products. Polyethylene is a common plastic that is widely used to create plastic bottles, plastic bags, plastic films, and many more products. Using this plastic in food could be dangerous for you and your pets. Many people are not aware of the potential side effects. It is possible that polyethylene products can cause cancer. PetsitUSA will keep you updated with news on these products, but you may want to consider avoiding these products, especially reusing plastic bottles.

http://www.petsitusa.com/blog/?p=5351

It is apparently the same or similar stuff that is used on slow release capsules and tablets :eek:

Really So it has been ok for humans to ingest it but not for dogs, until now. :eek:

Guess I need to phone the company as my dogs have their dental biscuits daily. I wonder if all the other manufacturers will use it too now.

1350075241[/url]' post='5984256']

This is the reason I choose to feed my boys a raw diet, human grade. At least I know what they are ingesting.

Unless you grow and then kill your own meat and grow your own veggies (if you feed them veggies), you don't actually know what they're ingesting.

I am not suggesting the ingredience of Hills is good or bad (not in this post anyway ) but what always surprises me is how some people choose to get all up in arms over some things and yet other things like say storing dry food in tubs that are not "human grade" plastic or feeding nylabones etc (that are also intended to be digested and are made of plastic) and feeding processed treats that are full of salt and other nasties are OK :confused:

How many of us gladly accept samples of food for our pets without checking to see if they are in human grade plastic bags?

With the longevity in humans as it exists we are more likely to see negative results from years of eating processed foods and other nasty environmental impacts than we are to see in dogs that have a far shorter life expectance, yet how many of can honestly say we only eat raw foods and are super vigilant at all the other nasties we ingest.

I too am as careful, yet realistic as I can be about what we feed and medicate our dogs with, way more so than myself, but sometimes you really have to wonder about it all. :D

Personally, for me it should be all about balance and sensibility. :)

And no, I do not feed Hills.

This is the reason I choose to feed my boys a raw diet, human grade. At least I know what they are ingesting.

Unless you grow and then kill your own meat and grow your own veggies (if you feed them veggies), you don't actually know what they're ingesting.

+1

At least I know it is meat, bones fresh fish and vegetables not some mush in a can or dry food in a bag. At least I have the control of what goes into their mouths in the way of supplements and at least I know that whatever meat they are fed is from the same butcher shop that I buy my own meat in. How would I not know what they are ingesting? How do I really know what's in a can or bag? I know what comes out is not huge and smelly.

Good point Dyzney, I was deffinatly ignorant to what i feed my dogs untill Diesel came along his food alergies has taught me Heaps about what im putting in thier bowls also what im putting in my familys.

Good point Dyzney, I was deffinatly ignorant to what i feed my dogs untill Diesel came along his food alergies has taught me Heaps about what im putting in thier bowls also what im putting in my familys.

Yeh, absolutely. We always learn a lot about things when we are faced with them, well done.

And it is wonderful to be well informed and aware, knowledge is a great thing as long as we don't allow it to twist us in knots and become manic about it (which is unhealthy)... and I am not suggesting that anyone here is doing that... just something I often wonder about.

So they're reformulating their food to coincide with that consumers want, ie better quality ingredients, ( http://www.petfoodindustry.com/46926.html ) but yet adding that to it?

How bizarre

eta: reading the patent, it sounds to me more like the concept is to preserve the quality of the vitamins/minerals/pre and probiotics etc so that they are actually still active when they enter the digestive system. I guess they'll claim that these vital things can degenerate once exposed to air, so giving them a protective film ensures they make to the digestive system and do their job.

Edited by stormie

+1

That's true and it's also true for what we eat ourselves too, but making as much food from scratch and eating as 'clean' as possible is still better for us than eating a lot of highly processed crap. It's not the only reason I feed raw but it's certainly one of the reasons (for me).

So they're reformulating their food to coincide with that consumers want, ie better quality ingredients, ( http://www.petfoodindustry.com/46926.html ) but yet adding that to it?

How bizarre

eta: reading the patent, it sounds to me more like the concept is to preserve the quality of the vitamins/minerals/pre and probiotics etc so that they are actually still active when they enter the digestive system. I guess they'll claim that these vital things can degenerate once exposed to air, so giving them a protective film ensures they make to the digestive system and do their job.

I would think so, but that would mean they would have to spray it over the kibble when it's finished cooking, which would decrease palatability (more)! And for most pet owners, they really want to see fluffy loving what they eat. They will probably have to spray the digest (chicken fat coating) over the top to get it eaten

Now, if feeding it to my dogs means their poop comes out with a plastic, sealed coating....I'd consider it :rofl:

We get our meat from a local supplier and I know exactly what my dogs are ingesting :shrug: That's one of the advantages of buying from someone who isn't just selling the food but also producing it- we can find out every product or chemical that goes into the sheep/cows/chickens we buy just by asking (the meat itself is entirely free of any additives) and we even know where the animals are living prior to slaughter (as well as where they're slaughtered).

The meat is inspected by the DPIW and all things considered, probably safer and better quality than almost any meat you'd be able to get for human consumption.

Suggesting that it's impossible to know what you're putting into your dogs unless you raise and slaughter it yourself is a lot of a stretch - besides also implying that perhaps many primary producers are putting things into meat that we would object to if we knew about them. That kind of paranoia isn't generally warranted- buy your meat from a decent local producer and you won't ever find your steak tainted with melamine or tinfoil hats or whatever. Bringing the topic up in a thread about the proposed use of plastics in kibble just makes no sense- the products used in the raising of livestock are thoroughly tested, have witholding periods where necessary and are used to keep animals healthy (rather than products shelf-stable for ungodly periods of time).

Edited by Hardy's Angel

1350094379[/url]' post='5984537']
1350075509[/url]' post='5984259']

We get our meat from a local supplier and I know exactly what my dogs are ingesting :shrug: That's one of the advantages of buying from someone who isn't just selling the food but also producing it- we can find out every product or chemical that goes into the sheep/cows/chickens we buy just by asking (the meat itself is entirely free of any additives) and we even know where the animals are living prior to slaughter (as well as where they're slaughtered).

The meat is inspected by the DPIW and all things considered, probably safer and better quality than almost any meat you'd be able to get for human consumption.

Suggesting that it's impossible to know what you're putting into your dogs unless you raise and slaughter it yourself is a lot of a stretch - besides also implying that perhaps many primary producers are putting things into meat that we would object to if we knew about them. That kind of paranoia isn't generally warranted- buy your meat from a decent local producer and you won't ever find your steak tainted with melamine or tinfoil hats or whatever. Bringing the topic up in a thread about the proposed use of plastics in kibble just makes no sense- the products used in the raising of livestock are thoroughly tested, have witholding periods where necessary and are used to keep animals healthy (rather than products shelf-stable for ungodly periods of time).

A somewhat angry and over the top response. Besides, the use of antibiotics in food production animals and HGPs in cattle are well documented. Are you a denialist that they're used? Or are you just happy to have your dog filled up with them? See, two can play at this game and imply tin foil hattedness.

Certainly, if you live next door to a farmer, etc.

A somewhat angry and over the top response. Besides, the use of antibiotics in food production animals and HGPs in cattle are well documented. Are you a denialist that they're used? Or are you just happy to have your dog filled up with them? See, two can play at this game and imply tin foil hattedness.

ABs are mostly used for prophylactic purposes in intensive farming situations but again, they're subject to a withholding period and their use in smaller holdings (where cattle aren't kept in confined quarters) is usually limited to individual treatments for specific conditions (as prophylactic use in those situations would simply be a waste of money- the potenital sources for infection are much fewer). Withholding periods on based on the amount of time it takes for AB residue in muscle tissue and blood to dissipate so that at slaughter, levels are negligible. Use of ABs is also controlled and treated cattle must be recorded (for the purposes of testing before slaughter, etc)

Regarding HGPs, again, their use is highly regulated and in some states (such as Tasmania), their use is banned entirely in cattle. So no, I'm not a denialist, I'm just aware of my local laws regarding livestock production :shrug:

My initial response wasn't angry, by the way- perhaps your tinfoil hat is on the fritz?

Typo

Edited by Hardy's Angel

1350098329[/url]' post='5984593']
1350095710[/url]' post='5984556']

ABs are mostly used for prophylactic purposes in intensive farming situations but again, they're subject to a withholding period and their use in smaller holdings (where cattle aren't kept in confined quarters) is usually limited to individual treatments for specific conditions (as prophylactic use in those situations would simply be a waste of money- the potenital sources for infection are much fewer). Withholding periods on based on the amount of time it takes for AB residue in muscle tissue and blood to dissipate so that at slaughter, levels are negligible. Use of ABs is also controlled and treated cattle must be recorded (for the purposes of testing before slaughter, etc)

Regarding HGPs, again, their use is highly regulated and in some states (such as Tasmania), their use is banned entirely in cattle. So no, I'm not a denialist, I'm just aware of my local laws regarding livestock production :shrug:

My initial response wasn't angry, by the way- perhaps your tinfoil hat is on the fritz?

Typo

You came across as pretty darned angry, totally offended in fact, given you felt you had to accuse me of being a conspiracy theorist just because I said that people don't know what's in food unless they produce it. That emphasis on exactly . It's nice you trust your farmer but you getting hysterical over one minor comment just makes me think you're just having an unnecessary tanty. Whatever.