Another Luxating Patella Thread

Guest Panzer Attack!

Guest Panzer Attack!

Good news PA - do you know what they did?

Yeah man, I nursed him through it!! He had a pin put in. Pretty gory seeing your dog sliced open lol.

Guest Panzer Attack!

OMG I could not have done that! I would have jumped in front of the scalpel 'not by bayyybbbyyyy'.

Great news that it went well. It must have been a teeny weeny little pin.

LOL! Yeah, the saw was smaller than a nail file! Tbh (and you're going to laugh at this) the thing that made me most upset was shaving his leg during prep... He's got a nakey leg now, that's gonna take MONTHS to grow back, nooo.

I hate the thought of having left him :(

confession: When I've left my dogs at the hospital I always have a sense of relief :o . Not because I don't want them around but I know they're in good hands and if they were at home I'd freak out at every hiccup, snort (is he getting enough oxygen, his breathing sounds shallow, is it shallow?) etc. Knowing they're being cared for by professionals means I can relax a little....and leave my sushi on the coffee table without them glaring at me.

:rofl: 6 months post-op and you can still tell the difference in Kenz's. I actually slept fairly well the night Kenz was there. Stark contrast to the amount of sleep I managed the night before :o. Edited by ness

Guest Panzer Attack!

Well hopefully he will be home tonight... I need ideas on how to keep him occupied over the next 2 months!!! Here's what I've come up with so far:

- bought a Bunnings puppy pen and pads so he can stay inside 24/7

- got some VAN to stuff in Kongs for him

- once his stitches are out ill be taking him to Dogs In Motion for swims :)

What else?? What kind of training could I do that would be low impact? Thinking of taking him for a 'walk' where I walk and carry him until he's at the point where I can walk him for 5 mins a day or whatever.

Kenz was crated for 6 weeks. He doesn't have to stay inside 24/7.

Given the weather is nice at this time of year if you can sit out somewhere in the sun with a kong or a bone or something it is a good change of scenary for them.

Kenz use to come in the car with me when I ran errands. I found a few outings broke up the day. She also spent lots of time snoozing so I didn't crate her to much during the first few weeks.

When she started feeling bored and more active she got crated more often.

I found doing any training (even low key training) difficult for her because she would want to throw herself into everything at a million miles an hour. However you can do things like hand touches/stays/nose work games.

Edited by ness

Yeah man, I nursed him through it!! He had a pin put in. Pretty gory seeing your dog sliced open lol.

yep. I assisted when Mitch had his done ...must admit- I was so fascinated at what the surgeon was doing ..a couple of times i almost forgot to keep the breathing end under control :o It was really interesting :)

Mitch was just with me or friends all the time .. we didn't have pens & such ..as he would have tried to jump/stand on back legs :(

he was on lead most of the time - lifted onto couches/beds ..and he spent a lot of time outside lying in the sun..and also travelling with me in the car - NOT standing up.

Guest Panzer Attack!

We have a really tall staircase that leads down to the yard, so if he's not penned while I'm at work and whoever is minding him gets distracted, he might try and take himself downstairs! When I'm home he will be with me :)

Drives are a good idea! And I can take him to the park before work and feed him there on lead I suppose... Can always take him to work too, he likes looking around at all the action.

maybe check the crate as well... make sure there is PLENTY of room for him to lie with that leg stretched out fully at right angles to his body ..and that he can turn without having to bend in a tight 'U' shape ..maybe forcing him to try & twist that knee.... that knee needs to remain aligned nice & straight :)

( I have luxating patellas ..I sympathise :p) Luckily I can manage 'reasonably' well using orthotics!