Fleas/ticks In Seq

baileyb

Hi all

Unfortunately this is the first tick season in SEQ where I haven't used Proban on my dogs but my problem has now become FLEAS not TICKS!!

I now use Preventic Collars in tick season and alternate that with the use of Advantix but both my dogs, who are 10 and 11, have got fleas for the first time in their lives.

Can anyone offer my any suggestions as to why this is could be happening? Can Advantix just not work on some dogs?? I am generally quite knowledgable when it comes to the health and well being of my dogs but this has got me stumped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

Hi all

Unfortunately this is the first tick season in SEQ where I haven't used Proban on my dogs but my problem has now become FLEAS not TICKS!!

I now use Preventic Collars in tick season and alternate that with the use of Advantix but both my dogs, who are 10 and 11, have got fleas for the first time in their lives.

Can anyone offer my any suggestions as to why this is could be happening? Can Advantix just not work on some dogs?? I am generally quite knowledgable when it comes to the health and well being of my dogs but this has got me stumped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

I also live in the Brissie area..when I moved to this house we had a huge flea problem left from the previous owners...nothing worked until I tried Comfortis...used it for that one season and not had a problem since. We also sprayed the yard at the same time...used Pidgeons Termite treatment which we got from the local produce. Works brilliants for fleas just keep the dogs off the yard for a couple of days.

I second Comfortis. I use tick collars (the green-boxed waterproof one) but the dogs still get fleas. I have tried Proban - nope, Frontline - nope, FL Plus - nope, and one other squeeze on - nope. The only one that has worked here is Comfortis. I am also in SEQld.

Guest donatella

I'm brickin myself this flea and tick season in Brissie.

So far Frontline Plus has worked here mind you mine are 99% indoor dogs.

My dogs have just shown up with the first fleas of the season. The best product I've used is comfortis. Have used the spot ons but frontline stopped being effective and the others just don't seem as good as comfortis, so I stick with that. As for ticks they worry me. I'm in a tick area andwhilst they haven't really had a problem with ticks in town the vets have been getting pets from suburbia in with ticks, so I'm a bit worried now as I don't treat for ticks. Treating 6 dogs every two weeks is going to get mighty expensive ad I don't like the collars as my dogs chew eachother necks. Im researching guinea fowl as they are excellent for cleaning up ticks but I've heard they are super noisy, so don't want to upset neighbours. I'm in south east QLD too.

Slightly OT, my neighbours have guinea fowl and they are BLOOMING ANNOYING. They are honestly more of a noise hazard than 15 barking dogs. They annoy the cr*p out of me.

I can attest to guinea fowl being noisy - certainly not a bird for a suburban backyard.

We have large acreage and have a large flock of guinea fowl, but they do carry on all day, every day (you do tend to switch off to it after a while though). They are funny little birds, very amusing to watch.

I still wouldn't trust them as my only tick protection though, they roam a huge area and I wouldn't count on them to spot every single tick that may be in hiding under every blade of grass (or wherever ticks hide). I still use preventic collars on the dogs, although it's hard to keep them on the young dogs as they keep getting chewed off when they're playing.

SEQ here as well. Since arriving from NZ in 2005 we have used Advantix fortnightly over the summer and have not had a problem with either ticks or fleas, cross fingers. We have had up to 8 house dogs and not had a flea problem(Some sleep on the bed). Our dogs weigh a max of 10kg, we use Advantix for dogs over 25kg and the one pipette treats them all.

Im researching guinea fowl as they are excellent for cleaning up ticks but I've heard they are super noisy, so don't want to upset neighbours.

they are ..and also will probably 'alert' to raptors, strangers , strange dogs ..and they FLY ..a long way, and high.

I think for ticks, the general recommendation is Advantix spot on administered every 2 weeks. This should address the fleas as well.

If for some reason it doesn't my vet advised me that it is OK to use it in conjunction with Comfortis. It would be a bit on the expensive side though....

The ticks are bad right now - I pulled one off my 10 month old puppy last week and I have only ever seen one tick on any of our animals in 12 years of living here.