How Do You Know?

Llante

Registered breeder in an advert may mean they are registered with the council. This means they have permission for the said number of dogs on the property & have satisfied council requirements for kenneling & can breed anything with anything.

Make sure they are registered with the canine association in the relevant state by asking their prefix & phoning to ask if they are currently registered.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gumtree ask if you are registered and you tick yes to go to the next bit. They dont ask if you are ANKC registered, MDBA registered, AAPDB registered or council registered. - means nothing.

Ive never found any major big deals with beagle breeders - never heard of anyone saying they are registered with anyone if they are not .To be honest I cant see why they would - they get the same money as us and also have heaps of demand - some people want puppies which are not registered with a state CC anyway and others dont care one way or the other. Ask them if they are registered and if so who with. If they say they are registered with one group and they arent Id be very surprised.

t

There is a breeder of beagles advertising on gumtree as a registered breeder - she also breeds crossbreeds. At one stage she did have a prefix as I was out there and saw the prefix on her wall. I doubt she is still registered but I could be wrong. She would be what I would class as a puppy farmer. I won't name names in public, but you can PM me if you wish.

There is a breeder of beagles advertising on gumtree as a registered breeder - she also breeds crossbreeds. At one stage she did have a prefix as I was out there and saw the prefix on her wall. I doubt she is still registered but I could be wrong. She would be what I would class as a puppy farmer. I won't name names in public, but you can PM me if you wish.

Thanks for the reply, I didn't decide to go with them anyway. Just too much what if's and I really want to go it right. I wouldn't be able to go see their home or parents beforehand because we are interstate. Just more waiting :)

Gumtree ask if you are registered and you tick yes to go to the next bit. They dont ask if you are ANKC registered, MDBA registered, AAPDB registered or council registered. - means nothing.

Ive never found any major big deals with beagle breeders - never heard of anyone saying they are registered with anyone if they are not .To be honest I cant see why they would - they get the same money as us and also have heaps of demand - some people want puppies which are not registered with a state CC anyway and others dont care one way or the other. Ask them if they are registered and if so who with. If they say they are registered with one group and they arent Id be very surprised.

t

Thanks Steve :) I thought it would be strange for someone to write Reg-Breeder and not be one, but who knows these days.

Well I called and it was a strange situation, lady who answered was caring for the bitches as the owner was away. She gave me long list of bloodlines and tests etc. so I do think they are the real deal. Problem was, the last female went 10 mins before I called. If I didn't hesitate I wouldn't have missed out. A bit sad, but maybe was meant to be.

Unless you have a chance to confirm anything they say, I'd not automtically assume they are legit.

Then again, I'm a cynic by nature. The "caring for the bitch as the owner was away" is a red flag for me!

yes an "ethical" breeder would not trust anyone else to 'care' for their dogs if anything caused them, to be 'away' from them surely :rofl:

or did I get it wrong as usual, and an 'ethical' would never be 'away' under any circumstances?

always think the worst of people is the new 'ethic' is it?

I do try to find the funny side, I do think the optimists of this world have a far nicer time. :coffee:

Edited by asal

Well I called and it was a strange situation, lady who answered was caring for the bitches as the owner was away. She gave me long list of bloodlines and tests etc. so I do think they are the real deal. Problem was, the last female went 10 mins before I called. If I didn't hesitate I wouldn't have missed out. A bit sad, but maybe was meant to be.

This does ring alarm bells for me, I have to say.. I have an 11 year old poodle x that we got (11 years ago) from an ad in the paper, and in hindsight all the signs of a puppy farm of very dodgy situation were there, but we didn't realise at the time. It was the same situation - the woman's "friend" was the one with the mum and this woman was just helping her while the actual owner was away. Got to the house, there was just one pup there, and we got her. She was supposedly a poodle x bichon, but there's just no way in hell..

Obviously now I wouldn't change her for the world and she's my little heart dog. But looking back, I'm sure she's from dodgy circumstances. I'm not saying that the person you called isn't the real deal, because god, how would I know. But just.. keep your wits about you and don't be fooled by a cute puppy! It takes a strong will to walk away from a cute puppy, as well all know, but make it a head decision, not a heart one :)

I fell for EXACTLY the same deal when I bought a Poodle X Maltese for my mum 20 years ago that had been advertised in the Newspaper. :(

In hindsight I wonder alot about the history of that puppy, where it had come from, whether it had been stolen etc. etc. as there were NO doggy things in the house at all. SHE was a tiny thing and didn't grow up to resemble either of those breeds....kind of a terrier mix.

Live and learn!

Just ask them if they are registered with their state canine association and whether they provide a registered pedigree - they would be pretty stupid to tell you they are if they are not and Ive never ever heard of anyone telling lies about it other than one bulldog breeder who was charged with fraud. With beagles there isn't any reason for them to tell lies - non registered beagles sell for the same price [pet shop beagles sell for much more] as registered and there is way way more people wanting them with or with out papers than they are able to supply . If you are going to wait to find a registered beagle breeder who is close to you , who has puppies available and who is happy to have you visit and able to sell you one in a time frame that suits you I think you may be rather disappointed. Only 900 beagle puppies were registered with the ANKC AUSTRALIA WIDE last year and at an educated guess there will be even less this year especially if the recommendations for NSW go ahead.

Also all this importance on visiting homes etc - just remember most of us just own dogs and breed them now and then our kennel is our lounge room. There isn't anything to see - a house, a back yard , a home and it isn't supposed to be this difficult to buy a pet puppy.

Thanks for the reply, I didn't decide to go with them anyway. Just too much what if's and I really want to go it right. I wouldn't be able to go see their home or parents beforehand because we are interstate. Just more waiting :)

Outside of the dodginess of the 'breeder' in question, I'd just like to point out that you don't have to see the home or parents in order to get a puppy from an ethical breeder. This 'you must see the pups and their environment' is a crock.

This does ring alarm bells for me, I have to say.. I have an 11 year old poodle x that we got (11 years ago) from an ad in the paper, and in hindsight all the signs of a puppy farm of very dodgy situation were there, but we didn't realise at the time. It was the same situation - the woman's "friend" was the one with the mum and this woman was just helping her while the actual owner was away. Got to the house, there was just one pup there, and we got her. She was supposedly a poodle x bichon, but there's just no way in hell..

Obviously now I wouldn't change her for the world and she's my little heart dog. But looking back, I'm sure she's from dodgy circumstances. I'm not saying that the person you called isn't the real deal, because god, how would I know. But just.. keep your wits about you and don't be fooled by a cute puppy! It takes a strong will to walk away from a cute puppy, as well all know, but make it a head decision, not a heart one :)

I fell for EXACTLY the same deal when I bought a Poodle X Maltese for my mum 20 years ago that had been advertised in the Newspaper. :(

In hindsight I wonder alot about the history of that puppy, where it had come from, whether it had been stolen etc. etc. as there were NO doggy things in the house at all. SHE was a tiny thing and didn't grow up to resemble either of those breeds....kind of a terrier mix.

Live and learn!

when you buy a mutt you have no idea what its going to end up like, designer dogs are mutts, always were always will be, no matter what new spin is put on crossbreds. putting two different breeds together anything in their makeup can come out or now show at all.

I dont think designer breeders have to worry about being or not being ethical or not yet.

Edited by asal

Thanks for this :) I am trying really hard to be patient! Really, really hard. I've just ordered a few smallish things to prepare. There will be a puppy in this house one day, I just have to find the right one. :flower:

And you will! Just like all the good things in life, the more you wait, the better it is in the end. In a few weeks/months, you'll having a puppy in your arms, think back to think back to this thread and go 'THANK GOD I WAITED!!! Otherwise I wouldn't have this little one!!' :thumbsup:

ETA - another suggestion is that, when you go and visit breeders, don't take money with you, unless it's for a deposit (and even then, think about it..). I purposefully DIDN'T take money when I went to visit a breeder to meet a dog I was interested in, because I knew that once I met her I'd be smitten and want to take her then and there. Which happened - I tried not to, but I fell in love. I even loved her more than her little pup, who I met!

(Thankfully my partner had brought deposit money along as a backup without telling me and we gave the deposit and took her home a few weeks later, when her pups were sold and she'd been desexed etc). But still, sometimes making things a bit harder is better in the long run.

It pays to be patient, you end up getting exactly what you are looking for.

It took me 6 months to find a puppy that ticked all the boxes for my sister when she wanted a cavalier.

Amazing how many couldnt tick the no henia box, or no dogs older than 10 which was also in the tick box. the breeder we ultimately found had 11 and 13 year olds. That was 16 years ago.

Today its a no win situation, any breeder keeping their retired dogs today is a sitting duck for being labled a "hoarder" and that alone can now be used to seize your dogs.

Then if all retired breeding dogs have been rehomed then the "puppy farmer" label sticks neatly instead.

The welfare groups have both breeders covered under the 'unethical' banner now. Very neat

as for looking for a really good breeding quality, that takes a lot of luck as much as the same degree of patience.

Edited by asal

Outside of the dodginess of the 'breeder' in question, I'd just like to point out that you don't have to see the home or parents in order to get a puppy from an ethical breeder. This 'you must see the pups and their environment' is a crock.

Yes, but its a very effective 'crock' to pressure you into letting complete strangers case your home and decide what dogs, or anything else they fancy they want.

Thats how I met what I now know are two professional break and enter families. The first I know by sight, actually even have the phone number but never got them caught as the pups dissappered, no evidence no conviction.

I expect few remember the case of the two stolen Cavalier puppies Fire and Tilly. They were finally found and the thieves charged and convicted. But considering the husband had 6 pages of convictions it was all in a days work.

Doubly disturbing keeping the family company before being called for the sentencing were two chaps that are regularly seen cruising the neighbourhood, havent been caught breaking and entering but considering the charged couple live in the region of Campbelltown and they and their friends have been seen regularly in and around the Penrith area.

In the case of the friends, hubby took their ute number the day he saw them driving down a neighbours driveway and the police said there is no such number plate registered, they told hubby do not go near them they may be armed and dangerous, their friends, the couple who took my pups, when arrested had both knives and a gun in their vehicle.

Yet, you will be labled 'unethical' if you refuse to let anyone who calls " see the pups and their environment"

I am talking over a 25 year period since meeting the first family and the pair that were caught, they were about 4 years ago.

Ihave seen the first in the area off and on over the years. only last christmas 5 houses across the road were robbed one even had the owner in her gym in the garage and she didnt know a thing until she walked back into her house.

Australia isnt a classless society after all.

Edited by asal

I have been told that if you aren't a registered breeder and don't produce the credentials you can't advertise on Gumtree selling a dog/puppy for more than $500

I have seen people say they are registered with the council and get away with it, they honestly dont care as people dont state numbers on the ads

As long as you're discerning when talking to the breeder, I agree that "inspecting" the property etc isn't necessary.

My first pup came from Melbourne, without me meeting her or the breeder or the mum or dad or their house, but I did research on the breeder first. I wouldn't jump in and buy a puppy, sight-unseen without background info.