Agility Trials

Squidgy

Hello my Sister doesn't want to desex her border collies and she wants to know if there are any agility trials etc where they can compete. They are not papered.

I do not condone her not desexing them, I understand many will feel the same way I just want some simple answers to this please not a hot ass burning thread pleeeeeeease :thumbsup:

I think they can compete in ADAA and ADAC competitions without being desexed. For ANKC, if they do not have papers they will need to be desexed so they can be put on the associate register.

ETA: There are no registries as such for ADAA and ADAC - you choose what name you would like your dog listed as

http://www.adaa.com.au/

http://www.adacagility.com/

Edited by Kavik

ANKC no - unless they're registered with either the ANKC or a recognised Working Sheep Dog Association, in which case they can go on the ANKC Sporting Register. They couild go on the Associate Register - but only if they're desexed.

Not sure about the other venues - ADAA?

And you might like to refer your sister to the sick BC puppy thread My link

At the very least, your sister should get these dogs tested for the three main diseases/defects they couild pass on. I'm assuming the parents haven't been tested. I'm biting my tongue, because you've obviously said your piece.

Unless your sister lives in Queensland she will find opportunities to compete few and far between.

Actually there are heaps of opportunities in NSW. ADAA hold a few comps a month on average and ADAC run 1 each month (I think). ADAA are mainly in Sydney and South Coast (Wollongong/Dapto), with a big 4 day-er at Tamworth each year. ADAC are only in Sydney.

I might not be correct here, but if this is a non-ANKC-registered border collie, it can probably be registered with the Working Dog Association (or whoever holds the working border collie register.) It can then be registered on the ANKC Sporting Dog register and trial in ANKC trials.

Is there anyone who knows more about getting dogs on the working dogs register?

Of course, I would recommend desexing a mature dog, but that is your sister's choice.

Cheers,

I can't really add any more to your original question but is she irresponsibly breeding puppies from these dogs? If not then why such a push to get her to desex them?

3 of our 4 dogs (all our girls) are entire. None are registered, none have had pups and none are going to. (with the possible expection of one although that will totally depend on what sort of working dog she turns out to be and is only a vague blip on the horizon atm)

Quinn is 2.5, entire and I'd like to compete with her in agility. I'm not in a huge rush to desex her although I likely will because she gets the worst PMS I have ever seen. But my next dog, a male, I would like to keep entire.

Reproductive organs doesn't automatically equal irresponsible owner and BYB puppies. There are reasons we have chosen not to desex our bitches and I don't think that makes us worse dog owners.

/rant over

I didn't know a dog had to be desexed to be on the associate register till now either.

B-Q you could definitely get Quinn onto the sporting register which allows her to remain entire (provided they have sporting register in QLD...) She would just need to be registered with a recognised working border collie registry, the ANKC provide a list of those they recognise.

In theory your sister could join the NSW sheepdog workers Inc, register the dogs (only $5 each if parents are registered, more if they are not), then register them on sporting register with ANKC. Could become an expensive venture though, depending on current fees with each association. It's supposed to be more for working-lined dogs though, not really the typical avenue for your average un-registered BCs.

I too was wondering how we jumped from not wanting to desex her dogs to breeding un-tested litters :confused: Some people would rather not desex, simple as that. Doesn't mean they are going to be pumping out litters.

From what I've been reading each season a bitch has where she isn't bred takes a toll on her body because of the hormonal changes. Their cycle isn't like ours, their body actually reacts chemically as though they are pregnant each time even if that aren't. Repeated cycles without pregnancy damage the uterus and can lead to pyometra and maybe other things?

I'm definitely no expert but have been reading in preparation for deciding what to do with my girl Quinn :) Males don't have the same issues so there is less health risk keeping them entire.

My previous bitch was entire (family dog and my parents didn't want to desex) - she lived to be 17 and only developed pyometra very late in life (think she was a teenager!) when of course she then had to be spayed. My current dogs are desexed. I am unsure what I will do with the next dog - would like to keep entire until at least 12 - 18 months.

I can't really add any more to your original question but is she irresponsibly breeding puppies from these dogs? If not then why such a push to get her to desex them?

3 of our 4 dogs (all our girls) are entire. None are registered, none have had pups and none are going to. (with the possible expection of one although that will totally depend on what sort of working dog she turns out to be and is only a vague blip on the horizon atm)

Quinn is 2.5, entire and I'd like to compete with her in agility. I'm not in a huge rush to desex her although I likely will because she gets the worst PMS I have ever seen. But my next dog, a male, I would like to keep entire.

Reproductive organs doesn't automatically equal irresponsible owner and BYB puppies. There are reasons we have chosen not to desex our bitches and I don't think that makes us worse dog owners.

/rant over

I didn't know a dog had to be desexed to be on the associate register till now either.

She wants to breed them they are only 6 months old or something atm so she cannot trial them yet , but she wants to breed later on...... I told her its a horrible Idea but I get classed as a dog loony for telling her so....some people cannot be told. I am just happy that she is going to be stimulating their minds properly instead of leaving them in the yard

/rant over

She wants to breed them they are only 6 months old or something atm so she cannot trial them yet , but she wants to breed later on...... I told her its a horrible Idea but I get classed as a dog loony for telling her so....some people cannot be told. I am just happy that she is going to be stimulating their minds properly instead of leaving them in the yard

Well that's a shame then :( I really need to stop being the optomistic, think the best of people person that I am :laugh:

/rant over

Well that's a shame then :( I really need to stop being the optomistic, think the best of people person that I am :laugh:

No its a good quality :) I am to judgemental most times and think the worst immediately.

/rant over

Registered or not they still need to be DNA tested for CL, CEA and TNS as well as hip and elbow scored before being bred. That will cost her around $1000 before she starts.

If she wants to compete in ANKC trials she has no option but to desex them.