Bitch In Season Every 3 Months

Jbea

My bitch is 22 months old and her last three seasons have been only three months apart. I want to breed from her this season, which has just started 3 days ago, my question is - will these seasons be 'normal' I.e. fertile, Or will any of them be a 'false ' season. Any opinions will be great fully received...

Unless you get progesterone levels checked by a vet the only way to find out is to mate her, if she is willing & ready.

The first 2 seasons only 3 months apart would not concern me but the 3rd one so soon I would wonder why.

If she swells as normal, flags her tail to the side when stroked down her back & attracts the male go ahead & see if she has puppies.

If she does not you need to see a vet with good expertise in this area.

I find that sometimes alternate seasons are fertile in bitches that cycle every 3-4 months. I have had them come to my stud dogs, miss on the first attempt but conceive with no problems on the next season. In many cases letting them have a litter will sort the hormones out and lengthen the seasons but not always, so be prepared for her to possibly come back in when the litter is only 6-8 weeks old. My last one that had 4 month seasons went to 5-6 months after a litter as did her dam who we mated on her 5th season at just 22 months. If you have a convenient stud dog it is worth a try to just get a mating this time. If not prog test her during her cycle and find out what is going on.

I had a pom bitch who would coe in every 4 seasons.. she came from a line of 4 monthly heats, unfortunately it was so they could breed more often. I had no idea until much later. She had 3 C sections, uterine inertia, which might or might not have been caused by so much activity in and around her uterus. I got her speyed and she was fine afterwards, put on weight, and was fine. (is still fine last i heard)

but OH so annoying having them come in so often!

• 2 weeks later...

I had a bitch who cycled every 4 months. Pain in the bazook to have around. I would do as other suggested Prog test her and also check her hormone levels. When faith went into labor, she had full uterine inertia and required a C-section and was later desexed. She was a healthy 2.5-3 year old bitch at the time and it was her first litter.

How much time does she spend outside? If she spends a lot of time inside during the day it may be worth getting her outside more and/or making sure your lightbulbs are full spectrum ('daylight') bulbs so they get 8 to 12 hours of direct light. Myra Savant Harris (see her book "Advanced Canine Reproduction and Puppy Care" for example) has a lot to say on the role of sunlight when it comes to moderating seasons and affecting fertility.

Edited by espinay2

How much time does she spend outside? If she spends a lot of time inside during the day it may be worth getting her outside more and/or making sure your lightbulbs are full spectrum ('daylight') bulbs so they get 8 to 12 hours of direct light. Myra Savant Harris (see her book "Advanced Canine Reproduction and Puppy Care" for example) has a lot to say on the role of sunlight when it comes to moderating seasons and affecting fertility.

Um, I can see what you are saying, however in my case, the dogs live outside during the day, and maybe on a weekend while we are home etc be inside with us. Faith's mother also cycled every 4-5 months, whereas her grandmother and great grandmother whom I both owned, cycled every 6 months like clockwork.

Also in my case, I know a couple of the bitch's aunts on the sire's side were also 4 month cyclers whereas the bitches on the dam side were all "normal" 6 month cyclers. Maybe also something to look at with genetics and what the relatives of your dogs are doing.

Not discounting any individual hormone imbalances etc of course.

Yes, it may not be the only answer. Genetics can sure play a part in some cases! Something to put out there though as in some situations it may be relevant. Here is an article by another author that discusses the issue. The article jumps around a lot and is a bit strange in places, but it does talk about some of the things to consider in relation to light exposure - either lack of it, or exposure to the wrong type at the wrong time: http://www.thedogpla..._Andrews-06.asp

Edited by espinay2

Parkeyre

Great news.

I know plenty of other people whose bitches cycled every 3 to 4 month who whelped normally.

I only just had bad luck. The vets had no real idea why she had complete uterine inertia or what possibly caused it. We chose to desex after this as it would almost be guaranteed another C-section if bred again, and I did not think she deserved to be put through it again.

• 2 weeks later...