Holidays And/or Walks With Dogs

nostress

I'm wondering if anyone here could give me some tips where to go with our dogs (they are 3 large dogs). Originating from Germany we are pretty spoiled as over there you can take your dog basically everywhere as long as it is on a leash and you're cleaning up after them. Shopping centers, restaurants, national parks, most beaches or just the track around the corner. No matter where you go - you can walk them for hours. There are many places where you could even let them off leash as long as they are under control.

In Australia we feel quite constricted. I can understand that dogs can't roam free in a national park with precious wildlife but I don't unterstand the threat of a restrained dog to whatever. We're basically staying at home as we're not comfortable with leaving them in a kennel and don't know any nice spots where we could take them without getting into trouble.

Does anyone here have recommendations for nice walks, particularly in Queensland in the Gatton/Toowoomba/Ipswich area or holidays anywhere on the East coast?

This thread http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/179318-pet-friendly-accommodation/ has some accommodation links and recs for all over Australia, that people have been to, but honestly the best way to find places is to use google. That's what I do when I'm looking for somewhere to go, or wanting to find out if I can take my dogs with me when I'm going certain places.

Either people have asked the question before you, or the website for the place you want to go will tell you if pets are allowed or not.

I'm wondering if anyone here could give me some tips where to go with our dogs (they are 3 large dogs). Originating from Germany we are pretty spoiled as over there you can take your dog basically everywhere as long as it is on a leash and you're cleaning up after them. Shopping centers, restaurants, national parks, most beaches or just the track around the corner. No matter where you go - you can walk them for hours. There are many places where you could even let them off leash as long as they are under control.

In Australia we feel quite constricted. I can understand that dogs can't roam free in a national park with precious wildlife but I don't unterstand the threat of a restrained dog to whatever. We're basically staying at home as we're not comfortable with leaving them in a kennel and don't know any nice spots where we could take them without getting into trouble.

Does anyone here have recommendations for nice walks, particularly in Queensland in the Gatton/Toowoomba/Ipswich area or holidays anywhere on the East coast?

I feel your pain! I have lived in Australia for 29 years but still miss the glorious walks of the UK & Europe (I taught in Austria for 12 months)! You also have to be mindful of snakes & ticks here. The paralysis tick inhabits the East Coast up to about 15km inland & venomous snakes are everywhere. We are lucky in that we live in a rural area, have some fantastic acreage to run the dogs (though not in snake season) but I still miss those twilight walks to the village pub for supper!

:thumbsup:

We book a dog friendly beach holiday house every summer through Stayz.

We have come across some great places within an easy walk of dog friendly beaches. Never had a problem.

Though... You do need to double check that they have secure yards- some are pet "friendly" but not fenced. And some only allow pets outside.

Thanks for your replies.

Actually, I'm rather after dog friendly parks, places and long walks than after dog friendly accommodation as I reckon the latter will be the smaller problem. Where is the point in traveling with the dogs if you can't take them for long walks and have to leave them behind if we want to go walking?

I checked with the local council but unfortunately, it's just small parks where you can go with dogs. No nice long bush walks, no adventure and of course no leash free area, at all :-(.

Nostress, you can go pretty much anywhere with a dog on a leash, if there are no dogs allowed there will be a sign to say that. If there are no signs you are pretty much OK so long as the dog is leashed.

We went travelling around Australia for 7 months with our dog, for finding dog walking places it was usually just a case of asking local dog owners where they went. It was never a problem in most areas. The only place I found really problematic about dogs in the whole country is Broome in Northern Western Australia.

I have found that most cafes with seating out the front will allow your dog to be there while you eat in their outdoor seating area. This makes travel a whole lot easier! I found the trick is to go inside and politely ask if it would be OK if you have your dog sitting with you while you eat, most places are happy to have you there and will usually even bring a container of water for the dog. It was only very rarely we got a no, a few pubs have even been happy for us to have her in their outdoor bistro area in the back of their premises.

it's not like Germany here where dogs can go every including public transport, and I bet the German dogs are on the whole better adjusted animal for being able to have so many of these experiences that our dogs can't have. But still you have a lot of lee way where you can take your dog here, there's always good spots for walks where-ever you go, just find another person with a dog and ask them about good local spots.