What Do You Use In Your Whelping Box?

piper

Sure will Ptolomy. I figured I would happily pay $9 even if it doesn't work. LOL

I have another potential use for it if not durable enough for pups and that is at a couple of points along our passage where we have corners. The 2 oldies are starting to slip on the tiles at times, especially if they try and go around the corners quickly. It doesn't look great but we rarely get visitors and if we do then I figure it would be easy to pick up.

Bunnings had a few styles of different thicknesses, this 1 is 1 of the the thinner ones but it looked like liquid would drain through it better than a couple of others. I gave it quite a few good firm yanks to see if it would tear and it didn't, there did'n't seem to be much stretch either. I also tried grabbing an edge and tearing it from there and it held as well.

I use newspaper and vet bed in the Whelping box, for a bit of padding I also have washable mats underneith the vet bed.

I use Lino and marine carpet, fake grass and vet bed in the pen area where the pups can go for a play when up and about.

Personally I wouldn't use marine carpet in a Whelping box, it's very scratchy, much to harsh for little puppy bellies rubbing constantly across it...ouch..

With the winter litter I used vet bed, for the first few days covered with a polar fleece blanket, then the polar fleece was removed. I cut my vet bed into crate size pieces and just overlapped them for the whelping box. Plus heaps of layers of newspaper underneath.

Summer litter was newspaper covered by sheets/towels, often with a frozen bottle of water or two tucked underneath.

If you have a hydrobath, vetbed can also be washed in there.

I did do that last time! LOL

My hydrobath is not set up permanently though so no way will I be wheeling it in and out every day to wash puppy bedding.

At the moment I have this other mat type stuf to try and if needed I will try cutting the vet bed down so it is easier to manage. I do prefer 1 piece though.

Their "play" area off the whelping box is lino and will also have an area of artificial grass. Last time after a few days when they were using the "grass" area well I also put bedding out there for them and plan to do the same again this time.