Best Cool Coats/mats?

koolietas

Is he hot all the time or when exposed to sun? If sun is a problem then I'd get the shiney ones currently advertised on cleanrun.com (free shipping section).

I have a range of cool coats but I find that most of them are heavy and don't allow air to circulate.

Thanks for your reply Megan.

He's in a fairly shady courtyard during the day - so it's not necessarily sun exposure, more just the warmer temperature that seems to affect him...

I have seen the coats you are referring to (a friend has them for her two dogs) and they seem to work okay from what I have heard.

Are you planning on leaving the coat on while you're out? I don't believe that any of them are designed for that and it is not something I'd ever do. Most of the coats are very heavy and if they dried out your dog would be very, very hot.

I'd rather by a cool mat then he can decide if he wants to lie on it. If it dries out then there is no drama. I also leave a frozen iceblock (run water over it before you leave it out so their tongue doesn't stick). If he's an only dog then you could also leave a frozen kong.

I don't intend on leaving a coat on him whilst I am not at home - and I don't want one that needs to be wet either to be effective.

I've bought him a cool mat before (Canine Cooler) and he would not sit on it at all...which is why I want the option of a coat as well as to try a different mat.

I don't intend on leaving a coat on him whilst I am not at home - and I don't want one that needs to be wet either to be effective.

I've bought him a cool mat before (Canine Cooler) and he would not sit on it at all...which is why I want the option of a coat as well as to try a different mat.

If he didn't like sitting on a mat, why would you coat him?

A serious grooming out of his undercoat would probably be as effective anyway.

I'd give access to shade, a ton of cool water and the mat. If he chooses not to use it, don't fret. Dog's can pant to get cool.

His undercoat is not ready to come out yet...which is part of the problem

Goes without saying that he has shade and plenty of water...

He's happy to wear coats - so don't know why wearing a cool coat should be a problem...especi

Anyhow, just after recommendations of products...

Mine never liked the feel of the mat (they hate water and need something to be totally dry before they'll even touch it) so I put a towel over it - problem solved.

Yep - tried that! And several other types of covers...

Weird because he seeks out cool areas (tiled areas usually), but wouldn't use that particular cool mat...

Worth trying another type though...

I have ones for my dogs which are very thin and light, they appear to be quite good even without being wet but mainly because of their colour - they are white. So they do keep my black dog in particular cooler than he would be without one. You can wet them also. They are from obedienceproducts.com

My dogs' most effective way of keeping cool appears to be digging themselves a hole and lying in that.

I have ones for my dogs which are very thin and light, they appear to be quite good even without being wet but mainly because of their colour - they are white. So they do keep my black dog in particular cooler than he would be without one. You can wet them also. They are from obedienceproducts.com

My dogs' most effective way of keeping cool appears to be digging themselves a hole and lying in that.

Thanks wuffles :-)

I'll have a look at those coats...

Mine has the Silver Eagles cool mat. When it first arrived last summer, DH tested it out first, and Sasha didn't get to use it for 4 days :rofl: When she finally did, she loved it :) Silver Eagle do human cooling products as well, and DH ended up buying a second cooling blanket for himself.

Mine has the Silver Eagles cool mat. When it first arrived last summer, DH tested it out first, and Sasha didn't get to use it for 4 days :rofl: When she finally did, she loved it :) Silver Eagle do human cooling products as well, and DH ended up buying a second cooling blanket for himself.

Thanks for the info :-)

Just had a look at their website - and the products look great!!!

Another one with Silver Eagle cool coats here. I love them & do find both of mine are more settled on extremely hot days wearing them. I never leave them on when unattened & regularly check them to make sure they are still damp. I have also stuck them in the fridge in a plastic bag after wetting them overnight in readiness for the next day during a really hot summer :)

We have been trialling the professional range of Techkewl coats with great results, they are what the police, military etc use. You insert frozen ice packs and it will keep the dog cool for hours. AS others have said though I'd be using them under supervision.

My two have a selection of cool coats - including the Saratoga one that ness mentioned - pretty good, silver mesh - OK - Hyperkewl - OK - but I must say, I keep coming back to the Silver Eagle coats - easy to use, comfortable, and seem effective. Used one on my BC at a trial on Saturday/

There is a chamois version of the Champions/Silver Eagle type coats - show supplies people might have them - seemed quite effective too.

I have the Cool Champions coat and also the Chillybuddy from Clean Run. Both work well but I much prefer the Chillybuddy for trialling - it's very light and breathable, can be used dry or wet depending on how much you need to cool the dog and it's reflective nature is brilliant if you are forced to stand in the sun.

Also - Cool Champions are probably a bit more robust than the Chillybuddy - the latter would probably tear more easily if the dog is lying on a rough surface or gets snagged on something.

Edited by The Spotted Devil