Broken Dew Claw

Jackson broke his front dew claw two weeks ago, at first I just kept it clean and covered it in a small bandage, but he kept licking his foot so much he made it worse and created more sore spots, so we took him to the vet and he was bandaged and put on antibiotics and anti inflammatory meds and sent home with a 'cone of shame'

The vet told us to remove the bandage in two days, this we did. He kept licking at the raw nail (nerve) so I put another bandage on to keep it covered, but then he started scratching his paw on the cone to try and get it (the cone) off, and in doing so he pulls the bandage down and exposes the sore bit. I've tried bandaging him and leaving the cone off which he tolerated for two days, now he just rips the bandage off as soon as I put it on. I have been putting this manuka honey derived wound healing stuff under the bandage. We've tried putting a sock on his foot over the bandage, he just keeps licking it

Any suggestions on what I can do? he still licks his foot constantly and it will just get inflamed again if he doesn't stop, but he won't leave a bandage alone and the cone doesn't work because he makes his foot worse by scratching it on the cone/collar

And just so everyone feels really sorry for him, here is my boy in his 'cone of shame' after we came home from the vet

254268_10151172300428025_1474818490_n.jpg

Did the actual nail get removed by the vet ?

if you have ever pulled the 'quick' on a fingernail .. you know just how painful it can be ..and how it hurts like hell if you touch it, right?

now imaging if every time you move, a bandage rubs on it ............ I imagine that's what it feels like to have broken nails bandaged :(

After two weeks it should be well on the way to healing ...

he is possibly trying to get to that nice sweet honey, too!!

AS you read where I posted for ?wobbly

I am in favour of removing all the nail/keratin bit .. and letting it heal that way . lots of games/fun/bones/new toys for dog ... and let it dry out & heal ..obviously keep an eye on it .. and make sure it's not red & sore looking ..& contact a vet if it looks yucky

Edited by persephone

We had the exact same thing with Mosley, in the end we just took the bandage off and tried to keep him away from the foot and keep it clean and it eventually came good. We literally had it bandaged, then vet wrapped, with the cone of shame, and he STILL managed to get at it! It's sooo frustrating. I hope it heals up quickly.

Jackson broke his front dew claw two weeks ago, at first I just kept it clean and covered it in a small bandage, but he kept licking his foot so much he made it worse and created more sore spots, so we took him to the vet and he was bandaged and put on antibiotics and anti inflammatory meds and sent home with a 'cone of shame'

The vet told us to remove the bandage in two days, this we did. He kept licking at the raw nail (nerve) so I put another bandage on to keep it covered, but then he started scratching his paw on the cone to try and get it (the cone) off, and in doing so he pulls the bandage down and exposes the sore bit. I've tried bandaging him and leaving the cone off which he tolerated for two days, now he just rips the bandage off as soon as I put it on. I have been putting this manuka honey derived wound healing stuff under the bandage. We've tried putting a sock on his foot over the bandage, he just keeps licking it

Any suggestions on what I can do? he still licks his foot constantly and it will just get inflamed again if he doesn't stop, but he won't leave a bandage alone and the cone doesn't work because he makes his foot worse by scratching it on the cone/collar

And just so everyone feels really sorry for him, here is my boy in his 'cone of shame' after we came home from the vet

254268_10151172300428025_1474818490_n.jpg

We had a similar problem with one of ours. We used chilli paste and tobasco sauce. It did slow him down until he got to like the taste and then it started again. However by thistime the leg had healed enough it didnt matter

Pers the top part of the nail came off, I think the bottom part is still there, its hard to see because we can't keep him still enough. The vet did get a decent look and I told her I thought there was still some there but she seemed to think it wasn't going to affect it, just that it would continue to grow out like normal

Pers the top part of the nail came off, I think the bottom part is still there, its hard to see because we can't keep him still enough. The vet did get a decent look and I told her I thought there was still some there but she seemed to think it wasn't going to affect it, just that it would continue to grow out like normal

Mo's was the same, most of the nail came off but the tip was exposed, vet was happy to leave it and it ended up growing back fine.

I'm keeping a good eye on it Pers, now that he has finished his meds it is clean, pink and not inflamed. Trust me I'm not going to let it get infected :thumbsup:

By putting the bandage on it shouldn't be getting caught on anything, its just weird he tolerated the latest lot of bandaging for two days (changed once a day) but then he just decided to chew it off :(

Hmmmm

where there is any hard nail left ..it will catch on things :(..so ...it ouches.

where there is nail which is not growing and 'attached ' .. I always feel it makes a terrific bacteria sandwich ..moist & warm ....

I was worried about that too perse, we were pretty lucky that it seemed to fall off as the nail grew out, and we were really over the top about keeping it clean.

Any foot injurioes are SUCH a PITA though. Mo also split one of his pads right open and it took about 2 months to even start healing, I was going mental trying to keep him away from it :crazy:

Edited by Aussie3

Hmmmm

where there is any hard nail left ..it will catch on things :(..so ...it ouches.

where there is nail which is not growing and 'attached ' .. I always feel it makes a terrific bacteria sandwich ..moist & warm ....

I was worried about that too perse, we were pretty lucky that it seemed to fall off as the nail grew out, and we were really over the top about keeping it clean.

Any foot injurioes are SUCH a PITA though. Mo also split one of his pads right open and it took about 2 months to even start healing, I was going mental trying to keep him away from it :crazy:

Especially with a bouncy, 18mo cattle dog X...he just turns off to the pain to get us to play and run around with him, but the few times I've let him play he has knocked his foot and made it bleed, so no more games for him until its healed

Take the bandage off. Then put a sock over the leg and bandage/tape the sock on, but don't bandage over the claw. Leave the sock loose over the claw. This will allow better air flow for healing but provide loose protection over it. Dogs often do better with something loose over it as it is more comfortable. I would also use something more drying on the wound than the honey. Honey is good but often the moistness is half the problem. I would use beta diene or an antiseptic powder before applying the sock.

Take the bandage off. Then put a sock over the leg and bandage/tape the sock on, but don't bandage over the claw. Leave the sock loose over the claw. This will allow better air flow for healing but provide loose protection over it. Dogs often do better with something loose over it as it is more comfortable. I would also use something more drying on the wound than the honey. Honey is good but often the moistness is half the problem. I would use beta diene or an antiseptic powder before applying the sock.

I've tried this, he gets the sock off

so .. what happens when you thoroughly clean it .. dry it ..apply betadine .. and then go for a nice long walk? Walking will do him the world of good ..it's only a broken nail - no need to have a foot bandaged and out of action ... ;)

maybe try treating him normally ... no honey ..no bandage ..just lots of walking , some bones and training sessions?

Maddie had her dew claw removed by the vet almost four months ago. The only thing to stop her licking it was this stuff I got at the vet that you paint around the wound that is bitter. I can't remember what it's called but I've used it on both my chronic lickers and it works a treat. They look like they've sucked a lemon if they lick it. I used betadine as well but it still took a good 6 weeks to heal.

so .. what happens when you thoroughly clean it .. dry it ..apply betadine .. and then go for a nice long walk? Walking will do him the world of good ..it's only a broken nail - no need to have a foot bandaged and out of action ... ;)

maybe try treating him normally ... no honey ..no bandage ..just lots of walking , some bones and training sessions?

And the rest of the day? We don't all have the luxury of spending 23 hours a day with our dogs

And the rest of the day? We don't all have the luxury of spending 23 hours a day with our dogs

Then, for the rest of the day .... carry on as you are .

With some exercise , and other things, on which to think for a couple hours .. .he may settle better :)

Edited by persephone