Titre Testing Instead Of Annual Vaccinations.

mixeduppup

I'm thinking of getting my dog's titre tested annually instead of giving them a booster that they might not even need. My holistic vet friend recommended this and I'm really considering it. Just a few questions though.

Does any one do this? Do boarding kennels, competitions and training grounds accept titre test results as proof of protection for your dog?

ETA. She just suggested I get the kennel cough intranasal and titre test for Distemper and parvo.

Edited by mixeduppup

I try to keep my dogs on a fairly healthy lifestyle without too many chemicals and after last year when I got one of my kelpies vaccinated just before he went up to QLD and he almost died from a reaction I've been super nervous about vaccinations.

I titre test. My girl's results came back as excellent. My obedience club will accept the certificate as being vaccinated by boarding kennels won't I don't think.

My girl is way less itchy now I don't annually vaccinate.

I've titre tested my dogs for about 14 years now, though I now only test every 3 years - none of my dogs have ever altered their antibody levels in all the time they were tested.

It is relatively expensive I think - due for one girl in a few months, but sorry can't recall how much. More than vaccination, but only a little.

I also don't give KC vaccination though did recently when I had to leave the girls in kennels (small, private concern that accepts that I don't veaccinate, but titre test) and one of their own dogs had been coughing so she called me. I had the intranasal vaccine for both girls to protect them.

I've never had KC at our place... touch wood! :)

Yes they are out there and I think with some explanations and showing them the paper work more will accept it. Another option is to use the 3 yearly vacc as that has to be accepted by kennels and obedience clubs as its registered for extended duration - it will also be cheaper than titre testing.

I used the titre test as well, only had to vaccinate Kenny the couple of times I had to board him. I Will do the same with my new dog Cougar, I can't see why older dogs need vacs every year & it worries me that the vacs could be actually causing them harm.

Edited by mantis

Guest Labradork

I'm definitely going to have Poppy titre tested from now on. I'm going to get the faecal test done for worms as well.

That's awesome Oso :) The main thing that worries me about titre testing is not being accepted by training clubs and boarding kennels, it is nice to have kennels out there run by sensible & knowledgeable persons such as yourself :)

That's awesome Oso :) The main thing that worries me about titre testing is not being accepted by training clubs and boarding kennels, it is nice to have kennels out there run by sensible & knowledgeable persons such as yourself :)

Thank you :)

I am suprised the amount of kennels operated/run by people that have no idea about many dog related things. I try to keep up and have learnt about heaps of things via DOL :)