Mum Not Producing Enough Milk?

Leema

My border terrier bitch, Clover, had 6 puppies on Tuesday the 6th.

I am growing concerned that she is not producing enough milk. The puppies often cry even while drinking, making me think that they're growing frustrated that nothing is coming out.

I have always been told that puppies should double their birth weight in the first week, but these puppies are no where close to doing so. They were all born at 220g-200g and have put on 70g-30g each. They're a week old tomorrow.

I have tried Wombaroo in a baby bottle, but they just won't suck on the bottle. If I put it in their mouth, they spit it out. They have no intention to grab it themselves.

I have tried using a dropper of Wombaroo, which has been more successful, and a couple of the puppies are very receptive to this method. The smallest puppies, however, fight and scream with the whole process and simply refuse to take anything.

Mum is on puppy food and fenugreek, and is also getting all the left over Wombaroo. :laugh:

The good news is that the puppies all look plump, all wiggle, scream, twitch, and do everything healthy puppies do. There also isn't much discrepancy in their current weights, with the smallest being 240g and the largest being 270g.

Any words of advice appreciated.

Hi Leema, the pups all sound quite healthy. Mum is already on fenugreek. Is she drinking a lot? Maybe also encourage her to drink more. A trip to the vet might be in order to see what s/he thinks and perhaps some medication to help increase the milk supply if needed. Are the pups otherwise content after feeding? Also do the pinch test to make sure they're not dehydrated. My babies carry on like crazy when feeding but mum has plenty of milk. If she didn't have much, i'd think they were carrying on about not getting enough!

Thanks for your reply.

I rang a local vet (my reproductive vet is 1.5hours away, each way, sadly) who said that oxyctocin is only useful as a milk stimulant when the puppies are born, and just suggested I keep trying to bottle feed.

Border terriers have a loose pelt, anyway, so 'the pinch test' isn't very accurate. They're toileting well, which suggests they're not dehydrated.

Clover's not really drinking a lot, just a normal amount, but I have made the water bowl more accessible to her now (after your suggestion), to encourage her to drink... Can't hurt.

get her to drink ...chicken soup (no salt or onion) , lactose free milk, egg flips .... :)

..also make sure clover gets a bit of exercise... eg: don't place feed/water bowls alongside her ..let her get up & stretch her legs .. this will help puppies too..as they will have a good wriggle :)

My girls love a bit of lactose free milk :)

Izzy didn't produce much milk with her last litter. We think that's because she had progesterone to maintain the pregnancy. We tried Metamide - didn't do anything, and the poor girl had Oxytocin injections every 6 hours for about 3 weeks until we could wean the pups. If we cut back the oxytocin she just hardly produced any milk. But the pups were pretty content (and fat! LOL) so figured they had to be getting enough.

Clover probably has about 90 minutes away from the puppies a day... She's not the best mum, and would happily spend all day outside, given the opportunity. (Not 90min all at once, 90 min over the course of the day.) So she's getting a good run each day. :) Especially as she's running with the other dogs.

I can happily give her some eggs. :) Got chickens: Always got eggs!

Clover's got a really good stomach and will take most foods happily with no consequence. :laugh:

My last litter we tried metamide and oxytocin, but in the end I tube fed the babies Wambaroo. My bubbas gained NO weight in their first 10 days. We think she had toxic milk.

If you want to supplement, I would tube them some Wambaroo after they've fed off mum. See how they go.

Get some Nutrigel or Nutripet into the mum several times a day. I usually give 3 drinks a day of Biolac, Divetelact or Goats Milk with Nutripet in it so it is like a caramel milkshake plus at least 3 meals a day to the mum. Make sure she is getting fresh meat and eggs as well as whatever else you feed. Dry food alone does not produce much milk in many bitches. They need fluid and "wet food" with plenty of protein and fat to produce good milk.

I have never had a BC puppy accept a puppy bottle to supplement but they usually will suck from a human newborn bottle with a "nuk" teat. If none of this works in a couple of days then tube feed them.

If your bitch is getting a good general diet I doubt that this is the problem. Sometimes this just happens.

The trick is to keep them feeding from mum to stimulate her milk to come in but to make sure that you are feeding only a little extra to keep their weights up.

I would not let her out for 90 minutes a day or let her mix with the other dogs at all while the puppies are this age. I would only take her out for toilet breaks & a quick stretch her legs several times a day. Most dogs don't want to spend that long away from week old pups so she may need to be encouraged to stay with them more.

Wombaroo through the dropper should keep them going until her milk is more abundant. My girl had hardly any milk last time & I had to feed round the clock although she nursed them. Only 2 pups. Milk came in abundance on day 6 thankfully, its tiring. Good luck.