Importing A Dog From A Category 4 Country

Hounder

I was interested to know if anyone recently has imported or in the process of importing a dog from a Category 4 country. I have been reading the AQIS site and am finding it a little confusing. How I'm reading it is that the dog will be 9 months of age before being allowed to travel due to Rabies vaccine and then a further month in quarantine. Does this sound right?

Cheers

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently, nine months is the earliest time if everything goes like clockwork.

If rabies is given late or RNATT testing samples are drawn later than 30 days then this will increase time/age of dog.

Rabies vaccination at 3 months of age (minimum age),

RNATT bloods drawn 30 days later (gives time for antibodies to produce).

Countdown of 150 days (5 months) begins on day of blood is taken/drawn.

After 150 days the dog then has minimum stay in quarantine of 30 days (at present) (Note Total times of quarantine stay from dates blood is drawn has to be minimum 180 days combined).

Edited by wayrod

Rabies Vaccination @ 3 months. Titre test blood taken @ 4 months. Dog can fly 150 days (~5 months) after the date blood was drawn for the titre test.

So yes about 9 months. I believe with the rule changes which come in 1st July the dog can fly 170 days after titre test but only has to do 10 days minimum quarantine as opposed to the current 30. I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure the rules remain the dog cannot live in Australia until a minimum of 180 days post blood drawn for titre test.

Edited because I'm posting from a mobile and it wont post my grammar properly!

Edited by Saffioraire

Thanks Guys for the confirmation. A bit of a bummer as having a giant breed, the pup is going to cost a fortune to freight :( I think I will have to go back to the original option of importing semen.

Cheers

its about $5000 for a 10 kilo dog ( with paperwork all done for you ATM) its gone up a lot with the carrier i use, but shop around, I just have a favourite that knows me and my wants and needs

Rabies Vaccination @ 3 months. Titre test blood taken @ 4 months. Dog can fly 150 days (~5 months) after the date blood was drawn for the titre test.

So yes about 9 months. I believe with the rule changes which come in 1st July the dog can fly 170 days after titre test but only has to do 10 days minimum quarantine as opposed to the current 30. I could be wrong but I'm fairly sure the rules remain the dog cannot live in Australia until a minimum of 180 days post blood drawn for titre test.

There has been no official statement released as to the changes to the importation regulations and when they will come into force.

1352715973[/url]' post='6018806']
1352707353[/url]' post='6018560']

There has been no official statement released as to the changes to the importation regulations and when they will come into force.

Really?! I've read it in print somewhere (as that date)! Which is disconcerting! Thanks for that, will go off in search.

1352715973[/url]' post='6018806']

Really?! I've read it in print somewhere (as that date)! Which is disconcerting! Thanks for that, will go off in search.

The only official comment about the timing can be found here (scroll to second last question), and it is careful to say that, if approved, transitional arrangements will take time:

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/policy-review-of-the-importation-of-dogs,-cats-and-their-semen--faq

I have heard all sorts of things from people in dog world, both involved in pet transport and otherwise, but until DAFF and/or Senator Ludwig make an announcement, I think it's wise to assume current provisions apply.

Thanks Guys for the confirmation. A bit of a bummer as having a giant breed, the pup is going to cost a fortune to freight :( I think I will have to go back to the original option of importing semen.

Cheers

Hey Hounder, let me know if you are going to go with the semen option, I may just join you in the freight part :o ...

Dog News Australia wrote July 2013, no date. My apologies. I couldn't see anything so specific on the DAFF site but it might just be me.

I saw them do that and I asked them if they had an official source and didn't get a reply. Even if their sources are good, and who knows, maybe they have a mate in the Minister's Office, I would still hate to see people start planning on the basis of that date and it turn out not to be correct. I don't work for DAFF btw, but I am a public servant and know how this kind of thing can change overnight.

Dog News Australia wrote July 2013, no date. My apologies. I couldn't see anything so specific on the DAFF site but it might just be me.

I saw them do that and I asked them if they had an official source and didn't get a reply. Even if their sources are good, and who knows, maybe they have a mate in the Minister's Office, I would still hate to see people start planning on the basis of that date and it turn out not to be correct. I don't work for DAFF btw, but I am a public servant and know how this kind of thing can change overnight.

Yeah it was bad form of DNA to post a date with no official basis to go off. I just would hate for someone to prepare a dog thinking things were going to change when it might not.

Yeah it was bad form of DNA to post a date with no official basis to go off. I just would hate for someone to prepare a dog thinking things were going to change when it might not.

There must be something in the air beacuse thats when I was told as well,mmmmmmmmmmmm