High Liver Enzymes In Dogs

Thank you Stellnme :)

I think i haven't been worrying as much as i had been, only because im not seeing any other signs of illness in her (apart from her shakiness and tiny fits) which i have heard some older dogs tend to get anyway.

I think if she was vomiting and losing weight I would have been really paniking.. The other thing she is still doing is her continuous excessive need for food, which we are trying hard to ignore.. which still make me wonder about Cushings.

Will go from Monday and see what happens next..

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok the liver function in the bloods came back all normal in my friends dog. So diet management is the only thing the vet offered at this stage. Owners have just been told to observe for any more changes/symptoms that may crop up. I think a follow up blood test is going to happen in 8 mths.

Well thats mostly good news about your friend's dog redangel !

sounds like what the vet has suggested is a good idea.. with a follow up blood test and watching the dog's diet.

Hopefully its nothing too serious ! :)

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

Any results yet, Jules?

Thanks for remembering and asking Stellnme, about Renae !! :)

Well mostly good news yay !! Her liver enzymes levels are almost back to normal ! so they not concerned in that area still.. They not sure if that due to the medications shes been on, or they may have just gone back by themself?

However there are still some elevated levels in other areas, that have them a bit puzzled, but not too worried.

For now they want me to stop her meds, see how she goes without them and to retest in another few months. If they are up again, then she needs to go back on the meds (which they are trying to avoid as they are fairly exxy ones!)

If she goes downhill in the meantime, then I have to bring her back in for more tests.

Shes put on weight eek, which is not normal for a dog with liver disease !

they said i dont have to go out of my way to give her specific food atm, just long as its not high in fat. Shes been on Hills prescription KD dry food all this time, because they couldn't access any of the Hills prescription Liver ones.. Im now giving her less and more veges .

Im still not convinced shes over what ever it is, as she still gets the occasional mini fits and mild shakes...

I have not given her any more flea treatments since as im still suspicious it may have been caused by the comfitis (as they said she had high levels showing recent toxins in her body in the 1st test) and she had comfitis once a month for good few months. Ive since read you not meant to give to a dog that has fits. She never had these little fits before i started giving it to her. It might just be coincidental they say..

I really dont know what to give them for flea treatments now without putting chemicals into their bodies :(

So yeah mostly good news, she will be 11 this year, so she's doing not too bad for her age.:)

ps they not outruling that it could be cushings also, as sometimes it doesn't show up for some time, altho shes not losing hair like most with cushings do, but she is extremely hungry all the time :(

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

My Grumpy didn't lose any hair when he had Cushings.

Oh didn't he... well she may well have it....they just don't know yet. Looks like she will be getting monitored with blood tests for a while to keep a check on it all. Her levels are under norm for the Cushings marker, but not real high..

My gut instinct keeps thinkings its Cushings !

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

I havent got the latest test results here Sheriden, as they rang me with them. And they were mostly concerned about her liver ones. I will get a copy next time i go in there.

I don't know if they have done a specific cushings test, but they have assured me both times they have checked her levels for cushings, Is there another one I should ask them to do next time they do her levels again (in a few months time).

Edited by Jules♥Cavs

ok so my husband says he doesn't think shes had the cushings specific tests itself as they saidto him they don't always come back with definite results.. so they must be jus going by what levels are elevated on the ones they have done..

I will speak to them next test time..

There are two specific tests for Cushings: the first is the ACTH Stim test, which takes around two hours. The other one is the low dose dexamethasone suppression test. That one takes eight hours, so she would be there all day. If all they've done is take a blood sample then she's not had either test. You'd remember being at the vet for two or eight hours, I think!

Still a bit of a mystery, I guess you just wait and see. If you are still concerned it might be very worthwhile talking to your vet about the low dose dexamethasone suppression test (the 8 hour one). My dog had this one. I think you mentioned that you didn't want to leave her at the vet - maybe you could stay with her for some of the time?

Much as I didn't want it to be Cushings, once you know you can make decisions and proceed with treatment. I found I had to keep myself informed (this thread is good for that!) and I learnt a lot in a short time and then keep asking the vet questions.

I sincerely hope it is something that has fixed itself and she returns to normal. It's the not knowing that is so hard.

My rescue Basset I got via this forum Georgie has also lost wt ++ and has ridiuclously high liver enzymes in her bloods :( She had an US which has shown a small liver but nil else-ATM shes on 2 lots of antibugs and awaiting a medicine to be made up to aid her liver function-I hate seeing my girl sick :(

My rescue Basset I got via this forum Georgie has also lost wt ++ and has ridiuclously high liver enzymes in her bloods :( She had an US which has shown a small liver but nil else-ATM shes on 2 lots of antibugs and awaiting a medicine to be made up to aid her liver function-I hate seeing my girl sick :(

Oh i just saw this ruby doo.. sorry to hear about your rescue Basset :( See Renae has not lost any weight, instead has put on quite a bit !

Is the special medicine Urisodol ? thats what Renae had made up for hers.. and she was on AB's for quite some time too.

I hope your girl's liver enzymes come down soon! Renae's has for now :) altho there are still some other levels that are a bit elevated but not as serious as the liver ones were.

Edited by Jules♥Cavs