Help: Snotty Sneezy Pomeranian!

kiwikitten

I have a 8-10 year old male pomeranian in foster care, and he is intermittently snuffling, sneezing and very loudly snorting back snot from one nostril (or he sneezes it out). The snot is clear. He has been on antibiotics and prednisolone - neither has made much of a difference. I was wondering if this a pomeranian version of the reverse sneeze or is there something else poms are prone to getting like an overactive sinus. He is not otherwise sick, and there are days when he shows no symptoms at all. He does seem to be worse when he is excited (reverse sneeze?) or when its sunny and hot (allergies?).

Its been too long for it to be kennel cough, and none of the other dogs have caught anything. He doesnt have a temperature, and his lungs sound clear. Only clinical sign of anything wrong is slightly raised lymph nodes. I am suspecting allergies, but would like someone who is experienced with poms to tell me what kind? He is currently on Artemis Grain Free diet, so unlikely to be wheat or grain related.

Guest donatella

My Poms reverse sneeze a lot but there is never/rarely any mucus. What does the vet think?

I don't think it's specific to the breed but if you shoot a message to Dog Geek on this forum, she breeds Poms so might be of a little more assistance if it is a common Pom problem :D

Edited by donatella

Its been too long for it to be kennel cough, and none of the other dogs have caught anything. He doesnt have a temperature, and his lungs sound clear. Only clinical sign of anything wrong is slightly raised lymph nodes. I am suspecting allergies, but would like someone who is experienced with poms to tell me what kind? He is currently on Artemis Grain Free diet, so unlikely to be wheat or grain related.

Off topic but I'd honestly wonder if that level of protein was wise for an aging dog. It can be hard on the kidneys.

I have a 8-10 year old male pomeranian in foster care, and he is intermittently snuffling, sneezing and very loudly snorting back snot from one nostril (or he sneezes it out). The snot is clear. He has been on antibiotics and prednisolone - neither has made much of a difference. I was wondering if this a pomeranian version of the reverse sneeze or is there something else poms are prone to getting like an overactive sinus. He is not otherwise sick, and there are days when he shows no symptoms at all. He does seem to be worse when he is excited (reverse sneeze?) or when its sunny and hot (allergies?).

Have an old border terrier that had the same problem (including a runny eye). No medications made any difference. A few months later she had an infected tooth removed and lo and behold the eye and nose stopped running and she stopped sneezing almost immediately. Maybe you could get her teeth checked out at the vet ?

He was recently desexed and I think he had a dental at the same time (I'll check that). He has seen TWO vets already, vet didn't think it was a grass seed. A collapsing trachea and a reverse sneeze are very similar symptoms but the noise he makes is distinctly a nasal sniff not a cough or "honking" sound. (I have a chihuahua who honks so I know that noise well!). Its the runny nose that is annoying him.