Consequences Of Not Registering?

mixeduppup

I got asked the other day by a lady who owned a few kelpie working dog crosses what the consequences were if her dogs weren't registered with the local council. Both her dogs are already chipped. I said I wasn't sure and she should contact the council about it. I know that if the ranger finds your dog isn't reg, it has to be before it's released from the pound but apart from that I have no idea. I don't feel like calling the council so thought I'd ask here instead.

I got asked the other day by a lady who owned a few kelpie working dog crosses what the consequences were if her dogs weren't registered with the local council. Both her dogs are already chipped. I said I wasn't sure and she should contact the council about it. I know that if the ranger finds your dog isn't reg, it has to be before it's released from the pound but apart from that I have no idea. I don't feel like calling the council so thought I'd ask here instead.

DLG NSW would say what is so, quick google showed me this

Does my farm working dog have to be registered?

A working dog is defined in the Companion Animals Act as a dog used primarily for

the purpose of droving, tending, working or protecting stock, and includes a dog

which is being trained as a working dog.

Working dogs that are ordinarily kept in the Western Division of NSW that is not

within a local government area, or is ordinarily kept on land categorised as farmland

for rating purposes (see Part 3 of Chapter 15 of the Local Government Act 1993) are

exempt from microchipping and registration requirements.

If you own a working dog that is exempt from microchipping and lifetime registration,

you are encouraged to microchip and register your valuable animal. However, no

registration fee applies. For all other working dogs that do not meet the above

exemption requirements, microchipping and lifetime registration is required, but no

registration fee applies.

When councils determine whether or not a dog is classified as an exempt working

dog, the council officer may base their decision on where the animal is ordinarily

kept, as well as the breed of the dog and what work it is used for. If you have a

working dog but you live in an urban area you are still required to microchip and

lifetime register your dog. Your occupation, for example if you are a shearer or stock

and station agent, doesn't mean your dog is exempt from microchipping and lifetime

registration requirements, but no registration fee applies.

Edited by GeckoTree

Oh and they can send her a notice every six months telling her to register within 28 days and fine her another $165 every time.

Best for her to contact the council and ask if her dogs are considered as exempt and if not just register them. It'll cost her lots more in the long run if she's caught.

In Qld multiple districts therefore all different regarding registration(number of animals allowed etc) requirements and COSTS.

If you are a breeder and registered as such, or show your dogs, you get a discount in Brisbane district.

If you have a customs dog/police dog or any other registered working dog, guide dog service dog etc = FREE they are registered but no fee.

What I always find strange is those of us who do the right thing and register our dogs don't get any incentive, if desexed and proven by vets certification, registration fee is less, but nothing for being microchipped as well.

Moreton shire while having very strict rules regarding number of animals according to land size etc at least recognise those dogs who are registered in obedience or agility clubs with a discount.

Years ago we use to have multiple council officers attached to pounds who did random spot checks if you were out walking your dog, and we got a door knock and check once. But now cost measures have seen cut backs, and skyrocketing influx of "lost" dogs in shelters with no microchips, not desexed and not registered.