Starting A Breed Club

Carlo11

If one is interested in starting a National Breed Club for a dog breed that currently has no Club representation, can someone tell me in plain English what the requirements are?

I have looked at the ANKC website and there only appears to be some sketchy info . . .Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I just want basic info on how to set it up, how many members are needed, fees and any pitfalls others may have come across.

Thanks in advance :)

From my understanding you need three state clubs before you can have a National club.

In Nsw you need 15 Owners of the breed who reside in NSW and are members of DogsNSW to start a club. Other states have different requirements and different fee structures.

Yes, before you have a national club you need three viable state clubs. We have tried unsuccessfully several times to create a viable third state club in my breed to no avail. So one of the state clubs more or less acts as a pseudo national club even though it functions legally as a state club. Best bet if you have no clubs at all ad a starting point may be to try and establish a state club in the state where breeders are most numeric and/or where rules make it easiest, then encourage out of state members to join too.

Edited by espinay2

Maybe contact people who have done it previously, like the Australian Bulldog (Bosdog) Society or similar.

This isn't an ANKC recognized breed so the process isn't the same. What breed are we talking about. Unless you've got reasonable numbers you might be better off with a number of breeds or a group club

Maybe contact people who have done it previously, like the Australian Bulldog (Bosdog) Society or similar.

This isn't an ANKC recognized breed so the process isn't the same. What breed are we talking about. Unless you've got reasonable numbers you might be better off with a number of breeds or a group club

Any group of people with a common interest can start a club, contact your relevant state body, in Victoria I think it is Dept of Justice still whch incorporates clubs and has all info on their website

Australian Bulldog Society is a good example of a common interest group and they are nothing to do with ANKC because the breed is not recognised (assuming it is for owners of dogs which are called "Australian Bulldogs", not a club in Australia for British Bulldog owners!!)

If one is interested in starting a National Breed Club for a dog breed that currently has no Club representation, can someone tell me in plain English what the requirements are?

I have looked at the ANKC website and there only appears to be some sketchy info . . .Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I just want basic info on how to set it up, how many members are needed, fees and any pitfalls others may have come across.

Thanks in advance :)

In 2012 the Anatolian Shepherd Dog Club Of Victoria Inc became affiliated with Dogs Victoria.

http://www.cobankopegi.org/

Although the ASDCV is affiliated with Dogs Victoria, it is functioning as a national breed club for breeders/owners.

You really need at least four or five people willing to put in time and money to start a breed club from ground up.

If you PM me your email address I can send you some guidelines from Dogs Victoria on the roles / responsibilities of Management Committee members.

Regarding shows, um that shall be interesting :laugh:

RE a National Breed Council:

As other posters have said, the hurdle requirement for a breed club to hold a National Breed Council position with the ANKC, is for the breed to already have, either:

3 State affiliated breed clubs

or

2 State affiliated breed clubs + 1 multi breed club.

If you have breeders/owners interested in starting and running a breed club, you could affiliate the breed club in the state where the affiliation requirements and those willing/able to participate, are the best suited for what you have.

In Dogs Vic, the President, Secretary and Treasurer must reside in Victoria, but other Committee members do not need to. As long as individuals are members of Dogs Vic and their own State CC, they can be on the Management Committee of an affiliated club.

Edited by lilli

Is the breed ANKC recognised? If not you could probably just start a club, if it is there's a procedure I would assume.

As the OP stated they looked at the ANKC website but could not find the details you would assume that is an ANKC breed. The Japanese Spitz Club of NSW has formed in the last few months, run it's first show and has members from all over the country as most states do not have enough owners to start a breed club. For a rare breed there is really no point in a National Breed Council because they are very difficult to organise and the only benefit is to get to call a show a "National". It may sound good but you need a very large entry to really pull off a show that is what most people think of as a National. Better to just have a breed club in the state where there are likely to be the most members and those who are prepared to donate time and money to the cause.

Edited to add the following link to the Dogs NSW regulations for affiliates.

Affiliates

Edited by dancinbcs

I gather your looking at a Pharaoh hound club??

I would doubt there would be enough financial members to start especially depending on what activities you wish to run.

The breed does have many grp/semi grp clubs that cater for the breed though

Yes - a Pharaoh Club.We have a small group of dedicated owners who have become concerned about the number that have ended up in rescue of late and we just want to set up a simple Club to educate on the breed, promote responsible ownership,appear at dog events and expos and run a dedicated rescue arm for those dogs who need help.

The Club isnt for showing as such and only a couple of us have Showing experience.So with that in mind, does the Club have to be registered with the ANKC at all or another body?

In short, we want to be a more welfare based club not a show club :)