Knox Dog Park

chuckandsteve

This might sound like a silly question. How does the ranger decide fines for recalls, if your dog is just out and about doing his thing does the ranger ask you to call it and if it doesn't come then its deemed a bad recall? I can't see how it can be policed. :confused:

We must be lucky here, in 6 years I have never encountered a ranger at one of our dog parks. In saying that I have 3 with pretty solid recall and one with semi solid recall.

I dont know if the person gave them attitude or not but maybe thats why there was 2 fines.

I get where meagan is coming from but if only people with 100% recall used the park there would be hardly anyone that could use it. One of mine would the other wouldnt.

He has been our biggest challenge he is terrible at training but using the dog park once a week has improved his behaviour better than anything else, not that he has been in a long time

The dog may have been hassling someone else and a complaint made about them. I see huge value in dog parks but don't use that particular one cause there seems to be a larger than normal proportion of people who are completely blase about their dogs behaviour.

When I was last in there some time ago I had an argument with a guy who dropped his acd off and headed off to get a coffee. The dog was trying to get through the fence to get to him. It ended up with me saying that if he left the dog there I'd take it to the rspca as being abandoned. He just didn't get it.

And then there is the overwhelming number of people who believe their dog is friendly....there are a few nuts at the dog park I go to too but they are fewer and further between.

The law states quite clearly that you need to have control of your dog. If you can't recall it then you clearly don't have control.

Knox has got really good dog laws imo. Heaps more off lead places than Yarra Ranges. And nice to see rangers actually out enforcing them.

I love my park. It isn't fenced. That seems to stop any out of control dogs.

This might sound like a silly question. How does the ranger decide fines for recalls, if your dog is just out and about doing his thing does the ranger ask you to call it and if it doesn't come then its deemed a bad recall? I can't see how it can be policed. :confused:

We must be lucky here, in 6 years I have never encountered a ranger at one of our dog parks. In saying that I have 3 with pretty solid recall and one with semi solid recall.

There was a rather aggressive dog at our park a few months ago. He didn't actually bite any other dogs but the owners of it were quite abusive of us when we stopped it getting near our dogs. We called the council and police (cause they were getting aggro) and they spent a good 20min trying to catch their dogs before they could get out of there. We all filed a report with the council as it had gone out of its way to go for 3 dogs 2 of which were puppies. As none of the dogs had any physical injuries they ended up with well over $1k worth of fines for 'not having effective control' over either dog, dogs wernt registered either.

I would say that not having 100% recall is an exaggeration by someone disgruntled with the council.

If you asked the owners of the dog I described before they would say that the dog was only playing and we were trying to hurt it or some such.

You need to be able to acknowledge and prevent your dog from doing anything listed on the rules on the entrance to the park. My puppy will race over to a group of dogs when first entering a park. This can be perceived as rushing so I keep him on lead or now he's better undervoice control whilst walking him calmly up to the group. Once he's met them then usually it's fine for him to run around like an idiot. I also prevent him running up to the gate to meet new people/dogs. It's just about being polite.

Have been to a few private park setups in the states, one was great with walking trails and obstacles. There was also one which was council owned enclosed park (a large dog park and a small dog park) and you could get a permit to use the park from the council, cost was $15 for first dog and $10 for every other, you got a numbered coloured collar that the dog had to wear at the park. The permit lasted 6 months (I think) and then you applied for another and received a new collar, different colour. This helped council track dogs and problem dogs lost their collar or problem owners could not get their permit.... park was patrolled fairly regular. Seemed a good solution.

We have our own dog park... private like mentioned. Lots of people come here to train and play. We have considered the possibility of opening up for a wider group but at this stage unsure if we want to cope with some of the issues people keep bringing up on DOL.

Have been to a few private park setups in the states, one was great with walking trails and obstacles. There was also one which was council owned enclosed park (a large dog park and a small dog park) and you could get a permit to use the park from the council, cost was $15 for first dog and $10 for every other, you got a numbered coloured collar that the dog had to wear at the park. The permit lasted 6 months (I think) and then you applied for another and received a new collar, different colour. This helped council track dogs and problem dogs lost their collar or problem owners could not get their permit.... park was patrolled fairly regular. Seemed a good solution.

We have our own dog park... private like mentioned. Lots of people come here to train and play. We have considered the possibility of opening up for a wider group but at this stage unsure if we want to cope with some of the issues people keep bringing up on DOL.

This sounds like a fantastic idea - a really good compromise

There are some idiots at Knox dog park. Encouraging dogs to "work out any problems for themselves".

I dont go into the enclosed area as I've found people tend to care even less!

I'm very wary when I go down there with who my boys play with as unfortunately some ppl say "let them work it out" without realizing how quickly the situation could escalate.

Funny I have never had any real problems. Once there was an over the top Rottie so we just left.

There is a minpin that the owner has run around with lead attached, well my foster stood on the lead and this dog has been flipped and landed flat on his back. Once again we just left. Thats the only dog I've ever really worried about as it seems to bring out a bit of prey drive in the big dogs, or at least too much interest.

But I suppose we aren't too bad at reading dogs so just leave when there is one we think we might have an issue with.