Car Seat Covers - For Dogs

Lisey

I'm purchasing a new car and would like to get a mat or cover for the back of the car to prevent the dogs making too much of a mess. I usually put them in a harness and buckle them in - so would like a cover that goes over the seats that you can still access the seat belts.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks :)

Edited by Lisey

I custom-make mine. I have an old double bed sheet which I've sliced a tiny hole in with a Stanley Knife to push the seatbelt clackers through. The hole is in the correct place as I fit the sheet first, then cut the slit.

Then I use a picnic blanket from K-Mart so it's waterproof and cut the same sort of slits in it. The top is held into position under the headrests on the backseat as they're removable like the front ones. Again, I cut slits into the blanket so the headrest prongs can still slide into place.

I bought one recently from one of those warehouse places, Sam's I think. It was $12.99, Fun Pets brand. It's synthetic, red tartan, with straps and clips that go round the headrest and it has 2 slits for seatbelts. Haven't actually used it yet so not sure how sturdy it is but it looks OK.

Dogs on Tour brand from super cheap Auto warehouse - $25 has waterproof back, seat belt holes with tie ons to keep in place around seat belt latch as well as head rest elastics. Good quality. My dogs do not shed hair but as I often have others in car that do I have also placed an old double sheetover this professional seat cover when carrying hair shedders that way I can remove and replace etc.

Edited by zeebie

I've got one I bought from a well known crate supplier - but it doesn't quite fit in the land cruiser, the head rests straps are not in the right place to fit neatly, and it folds in on the corners and it's a very dark colour which makes the car hotter inside than it needs to be.

So I'm looking for one with white (for coolness) topping and maybe thinking of getting one of the horse rug places to custom make one out of white rip stop with slits in the right places for the harness strap. And then putting cheap white bath sheet towels on top of that. a friend has a car hammock with white fake sheep fleece on it which looks comfy tho it still has a dark blue backing (hot). They certainly are great things to have. But avoid dark colours if you can.

But avoid dark colours if you can.

the dogs on tour one is grey and is made of some type of heat repellent fabric and never seems to feel hot to touch when car has been parked in sun etc. If I used white it would be black first time I had dogs back in car after run on our black sand (mud) beach or red after walk around local clay soil park :laugh:

I've got one I bought from a well known crate supplier - but it doesn't quite fit in the land cruiser, the head rests straps are not in the right place to fit neatly, and it folds in on the corners and it's a very dark colour which makes the car hotter inside than it needs to be.

So I'm looking for one with white (for coolness) topping and maybe thinking of getting one of the horse rug places to custom make one out of white rip stop with slits in the right places for the harness strap. And then putting cheap white bath sheet towels on top of that. a friend has a car hammock with white fake sheep fleece on it which looks comfy tho it still has a dark blue backing (hot). They certainly are great things to have. But avoid dark colours if you can.

Sounds like a back seat buddy Mrs RB. I have a BSB too - and its the best thing since sliced bread. Wears really well, washes like a rag and the westies are safe and comfortable in it. The downside is the price - but when I compared it to the cheaper versions which I was lucky to get 12 months out of and starting falling apart at the first wash, and added up the cost of replacing them I decided a BSB was worth the investment. Not to mention the hassle of replacement of the cheaper ones. And its worth googling as prices vary fairly significantly. :)

I've got this one from Drs Foster and Smith in the USA, and love it, it washes well and is very comfy and safe for the dogs.

post-6729-0-21977800-1353665936_thumb.jpg

It was only about $40, and the freight wasn't that much.!!

Edited by Trishm

I'd have to get pay pal too. Sigh. They (Dr Fostersmith) said send an email - so I did. Hopefully they will get back to me with a plan. And I won't need a paypal account just yet. I'm currently spawning new bank accounts at the rate of three a month just to get better interest and cheaper prices on stuff - and it sucks.