Puppy Crying When Put Into Crate/playpen

katevin

When I got Sonny he screamed every night for 3 weeks when I popped him into bed. I was so upset about it & I felt like a real meanie but I stood my ground with him & didn't give in to him but it was really hard. I would check on him lots to make sure he was ok but didn't engage him. Then one night he just stopped & has never cried again since.

My girl has never uttered a sound, not even a wimper but then again she has Sonny beside her. That would be reasuring I think.

Warning: Very loud puppy sounds!

Puppies are very loud and very talented at sounding like they're about to die at any moment :p

They get over it. As long as, they are not cold, have been fed, had a drink, recently been to the toilet, then just ignore it and it will pass. Roscoe (who is now a LOT bigger than that video) was very unhappy about a crate, he got over it, he now puts himself to bed in a crate when he feels like it :)

Edited by lovemesideways

Sorry, off topic! I just played that video while all my dogs were sitting down quietly in the lounge room. None of them are sitting down quietly any more!! They're all wondering where I've trapped another dog!!

I don't really have anything cnstructive to add to this thread though, the most recent pup we didn't get til she was 5 months old and I think she's done a really good job so far of figuring out the rules from the others. Inside the house means settled down and quiet times:)

• 2 weeks later...

You've got a cute dog. Anyway, what he's doing is a normal thing as he thinks he is being placed in an isolated place. His crying is due to his natural instinct to call for his pack to come and save him. But he will get used to it in the long run. All you need to do is make sure that he wouldn't get out of his playpen. If you think he's going to jump over it, then you might want to get him a playpen that he can't jump out from for his own sake too.