My Experience With A Breeder

Loving my Oldies

I thought I'd post this because some people are disappointed with their experiences and it is always a good thing to have the other side of the coin :) .

Following on from a couple of topics about the unknown histories of our dogs and despite having Danny for nearly 11 years, I sent an email about him to a Finnish Spitz breeder.

Although the pound Danny was in said he was a Pomeranian cross, I decided that he was a Spitz cross and googling convinced me that he was a Finnish Spitz cross. I have often wondered where on earth he could have come from because there can't be all that many Finnish Spitz breeders in Australia. Remember I am going back nearly 11 years and 2-3 before that for when he was born.

So .... about a week ago, I checked on the DOL Breeders lists and sent an email to one listed there telling them about Danny, attaching a couple of photos and asking for their opinion as to whether they thought he was part Finnish Spitz.

I received a long and lovely email back from them, even suggesting we could meet when they come to the Royal Easter Show next year.

Oh, and they are pretty sure that Danny is more Finnish Spitz than anything else :laugh: .

I've had fairly good experiences. The first experience I had with a reg breeder when searching for my dally girl has ended up producing a great friendship (now count her and her family quite close to me now, they were invited to my wedding) even though I didn't end up buying one of her dogs due to timing issues. I am determined that my next dally will be one of hers. She's also my mentor =]

The actual breeder of my girl doesn't really talk to me anymore, but I understand that she has a life, and my other friend is more than willing to help me out with any questions I have.

The breeder of the other breed I want to get into has also been quite lovely and easy to communicate with.

I am now a reg. breeder, although many years off breeding, but I aspire to be like my mentor/friend. Open, honest and friendly (that's me anyway)