Advocate

BT-Argo

Thanks for all the replies.

I read in another post that your dog wont get tapeworm if it does not have fleas so does that mean you don't need a tape wormer in the case you do use a product like advocate? I will treat for all worms to be safe.

Regarding ticks I am in the Bondi / Centennial Park area in Sydney.. I have tried to Google to see if it is a tick area.. I did not really find anything.. does anyone know if this area is affected by ticks?

Hydatids tapeworm (very definitely the worst) can be picked up from eating contaminated meat. The hydatids won't hurt the dog too much but if passed on to humans, it can kill in a very unpleasant manner.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've lived in the damp Gippsland and now the dry dusty Mallee and haven't used regular flea treatments for many. many years. About 6 years ago after showing in another area, my dogs came home with a few fleas, quickly got rid of and never another problem. Worming, I ceased regular worming a long time ago, get the dogs tested about every 6 months and never had to use any treatment, this includes heart worm. Drove to Darwin a few years ago with 3 dogs, used tick collars and checking them over every day, no ticks. Over at least 35 years none of my dogs have had any poisons in their bodies :thumbsup:

Guest Labradork

Over at least 35 years none of my dogs have had any poisons in their bodies :thumbsup:

That's fantastic...and what I'm aiming for.

Worming doesn't prevent humans getting hyatids though - worming is not a preventative. The workers only kill the worms that the dog has present at that time.

If you're in a hydatids-prone area, regular worming (4-6 weeks) of dogs will greatly decrease your chances of catching it. Obviously there's still a risk involved but more frequent worming out will greatly reduce that. It comes down to exposure- four weeks of exposure is much less risk than twelve weeks of exposure (or constant exposure if you're not worming for hydatids).

I quite like Advantix + Interceptor as a combination if you're after good all-round coverage.

Advantix needs be be applied fortnightly for tick protection.

I like to protect my dog from things that can actually kill her- such as ticks and heartworm, so I use Advantix + heartguard.

Intestinal worms are not usually deadly to healthy adult dogs so I would only use an intestinal wormer on a as needed basis.

I am not in a rural area and my dog doesn't eat wildlife carcasses or similar, only eats human grade meat products, so the risk of hydatids is relatively low.

Regarding ticks I am in the Bondi / Centennial Park area in Sydney.. I have tried to Google to see if it is a tick area.. I did not really find anything.. does anyone know if this area is affected by ticks?

No, its generally not a tick area.

Once you get out of the inner suburbs it's more likely. I live in the inner east & only use added tick protection when taking my dog walking in bushy areas outside of the city.