Lucy Got Hold Of A Dead Bat!

megan_

As per the title, she got hold of dead bat wing and chilies on it before I got it away. I'm concerned because of all the diseases they carry, ESP lissa (so) virus. Is there anything I should do? She is up to date with wormers

Can you contact your vet to get advice? We are in Qld the state guidelines are on the Dfat website - try googling for a local one?

Qld one is here:

Bats and domestic animals

Our local vet did not suggest anything beyond observation unless the dog had been bitten by a bat, they did suggest if that happened we should try and get the bat /bat's body tested before deciding what to do.

Hopefully if the bat was already dead it won't cause any problems and your girl will be fine.

Had a dog here that caught a flying fox once (wasn't even one of my dogs, I was just babysitting)...I was worried about risks of disease as it has scratched or bitten the dog on the nose. I contacted CSIRO and they said they had no evidence of any diseases that transferred from bat to dog (in this country anyway, thank goodness we don't have rabies here...yet). Make sure you are careful handling it though...a few things that can be transmitted to people.

Thanks, I put a pop bag over my hand and grabbed it from her. It was very decomposed do hepofully anything was dead - it was almost all bone. I won't let her kiss me tonight (she has a beard). I'll call the vet too just in case

My neighbor had one fly out of her Christmas tree last year :eek: They had cut it down at a local tree farm, put it up and two days later a bat flew out when she was on the lounge watching TV :rofl: My 8yr old found out about it and we we werent allowed to get a tree from there this year. :laugh:

Thanks All.

Aussie3 - she is fine, however was a bit resentful when I took it away from her :) . I rang Monash Vets but the vet was in a consult so they rang me back when they finished up - gee I love them! They suggested giving her an all-wormer and watch her for stomach upsets, but the chance of her getting an virus etc from the bat were very, very remote.

was it a tiny bat or a fruit bat? I dont think the little ones carry the viruses the fruit bats have, although I cannot be sure.

Any bat in Australia can carry Lyssavirus (ABL). But I don't think the virus stays alive for very long in the environment or in a dead bat. So it is more of a worry with dogs if they find a sick or paralysed bat - which are symptoms of full-blown ABL - and get scratched or bitten.

If that was the case I would certainly send bat remains for testing as ABL is related to rabies. So the virus can stay latent in a mammal's system. Once the virus becomes active and symptoms are shown there is no treatment - for humans or other animals - and it is fatal. While dormant the virus can be treated with rabies serum injections.

I've been vaccinated for ABL/rabies as I used to do a lot of bat handling. But the virus is very rare. I think there have been two documented cases in humans. But as it is 100% fatal once active being over-cautious is pretty well warranted.

In your case Megan I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Thanks Alyosha. Can it be found in bat poo? We go walking in the Botanical Gardens often as it is gorgeous and we don't run into off leash dogs in the morning. However, the dogs do snack on all sorts of poo....they do know "leave it" and "ahah" but I don't always spot them before they lay into it...

Yep. Hendra virus. It has been localised to southern Qld and maybe far north NSW I think. I think it has a different mode of tranmission. ABL is by infected saliva injection (ie penetrating the skin), so from bites, or scratches as bats lick their claws to groom themselves.

I think Hendra comes from horses eating around infected bat droppings. It infects a horse and is then transmitted by the horses' respiratory secretions? From memory the human Hendra deaths have been linked to PMs on infected horses, from coming into contact with lung tissue?

Edited by Alyosha

Yep. Hendra virus. It has been localised to southern Qld and maybe far north NSW I think. I think it has a different mode of tranmission. ABL is by infected saliva injection (ie penetrating the skin), so from bites, or scratches as bats lick their claws to groom themselves.

I think Hendra comes from horses eating around infected bat droppings. It infects a horse and is then transmitted by the horses' respiratory secretions? From memory the human Hendra deaths have been linked to PMs on infected horses, from coming into contact with lung tissue?

I think it's transmitted when they're alive, Vic Rail and at least one of his employees died from it, also a vet who was treating a horse died.

so the dogs are safe with our "southern" bat poo (with the exception of parasites)?

:laugh: They should be, yes.

I think it's transmitted when they're alive, Vic Rail and at least one of his employees died from it, also a vet who was treating a horse died.

I think you're right. Accrding to CSRIO the route of transmission isn't known. But all infections in humans, and the one dog one, seem to have come from contact with infected horses. So I wonder if bat to dog directly is different?