Does This Sound Right To You?

Labradoodle (yeah I know) puppy purchased from a large well known breeder at huge cost, vaccinated at 6 weeks, sent across the county by plane at 8 weeks. Vet in WA vaccinated at 10 weeks with a new vaccine and advised no further vaccination needed until 12 month booster. That means this puppy has only had two vaccinations with no titre tests.

Not the regime I was advised two years ago but perhaps things have changed?????

My guys had the same vaccine.

Their breeder vaccinated at 6/7weeks and my vet at 10/11 weeks with Nobivac DHP & KC, then 12 months later.

Now it's every 3 years for the DHP....but yearly for the KC :)

Edited by raffikki

Quote from "Guidelines for the Vaccination of Dogs and Cats" compiled by the Vaccine Guidelines Group of the World Small Animal Veterinary Association (WSAVA).

"The recommendation of the VGG is for initial vaccination at 8–9 weeks of age followed by a second vaccination 3–4 weeks later, and a third vaccination given between 14–16 weeks of age. By contrast, at present many vaccine data sheets recommend an initial course of two injections. Some products are also licensed with a ‘10 week finish’ designed such that the second of two vaccinations is given at 10 weeks of age. The rationale behind this protocol is to permit ‘early socialization’ of pups. The VGG recognizes that this is of great benefit to the behavioural development of dogs. Where such protocols are adopted, great caution should still be maintained by the owner – allowing restricted exposure of the pup to controlled areas and only to other pups that are healthy and fully vaccinated. The VGG recommends that whenever possible a third dose of core vaccine be given at 14–16 weeks of age."

The full document is too large to post a link but anyone interested in reading it is welcome to email me and I will send it to you.

Edited by Wundahoo