Possible Infection After Desexing

BT-Argo

Hi All

How does one treat possible infection on the part where the dog had his stitches after desexing? it has a little puss coming out of the wound 4 weeks after desexing and its a little lumpy

Is there anything I can apply? I just noticed it now and the vet is closed at this time

Thanks

Guest donatella

a dressing of some sort to protect the wound overnight until you can get back to the vets tomorrow would probably suffice :)

.. just a gentle bathe of the area with some saline solution for now, dry it carefully .. ..and vet tomorrow. Do you have a photo you can post ? it certainly doesn't sound nice :(

Hi Persephone

this is his little wound...(infection) post-10766-0-34752600-1355655845_thumb.jpg

It could be that a dissolving suture has not dissolved as it should and is causing a reaction. I had one with a wound that kept opening up and closing again for over 6 weeks. One day when it opened again I noticed a piece if white about 1cm deep into the wound. With a very steady hand and forceps the vet managed to grasp the offending piece of suture that turned out to be nearly 3cm long and pull it out so the wound could finally heal.

I can't remember who it was off the top of my head, but one of my rescues had exactly the same thing (only the red lump was much bigger) after desexing.

There was a stitch left in there. The vet popped the red lump with a scalpel ( :vomit: ) then removed the stitch and applied some cream to the area and it cleared up within days.

Hi all

it seems better this morning.. the swelling has gone done and it is drying up... I am not sure but there about any stitching left but I will check this tonight and if its no better it is off to the vet :)

I couldn't see it mentioned so just thought I'd ask..

Have the stitches been removed by a vet? Did they tell you which sort of stitching was used? If the sitches were non-soluble and haven't actually been removed by a vet, that is likely going to be your problem.

Hi all

it seems better this morning.. the swelling has gone done and it is drying up... I am not sure but there about any stitching left but I will check this tonight and if its no better it is off to the vet :)

Have the stitches been removed by a vet? Did they tell you which sort of stitching was used? If the sitches were non-soluble and haven't actually been removed by a vet, that is likely going to be your problem.

I called the vet they said they use soluble ones internally and non soluble outside.. they have removed the ones outside.. and saying the ones inside maybe causing an irritation. I believe we have just seen a stitch coming through now, so we will go to the vet

Thanks

Chris

Hi all

I called the vet they said they use soluble ones internally and non soluble outside.. they have removed the ones outside.. and saying the ones inside maybe causing an irritation. I believe we have just seen a stitch coming through now, so we will go to the vet

Thanks

Chris

Sutures can be tricky to remove properly, depending on how the vet does the stitching, yeah.

I had to take the sutures out of our puppy's scrotum today (ah, the joys of dog ownership) and even though our vet does them individually and knots, I almost lost a bit of one because I nicked through both strands under the knot instead of just the one. If I hadn't been checking what I was removing, that would have just slipped back in and sat under the skin, potentially causing all kinds of fun.

At four weeks after desexing, a missed bit of suture material seems like the most likely cause (based on my experience with sutures and dangly bits :p )

All solved and Argo is on the mend!

The internal stitch had not removed. 2 days later the wound is healing and the antibiotics seem to have brought him back to his normal self.

out of curiosity if a dog has an infection, can it affect them in terms of their spirit/ their normal self?

Thanks for all the replies they were spot on!

All solved and Argo is on the mend!

The internal stitch had not removed. 2 days later the wound is healing and the antibiotics seem to have brought him back to his normal self.

out of curiosity if a dog has an infection, can it affect them in terms of their spirit/ their normal self?

Thanks for all the replies they were spot on!

Very definitely. Infections are painful, besides being taxing on the immune system. Discomfort means the dog might not be able to sleep as well, move about normally, it might also impact on interactions with other dogs and with people.

Our old hound had an infected bone in his toe and before we had the bone removed, he was more grumpy than usual, touchy about his foot, not keen on getting out of bed and disintested in his food. Bone came off, different ABs and he's back to his usual grumpy self :D