Heat And Urination

SeeGee

So it's hot where I am today, about 39 degrees. Myself and the 2 beagles are now in the bedroom with the aircon on.

Both beagles are toilet trained, however I am finding on these really hot days Charlie will urinate inside on the tiled TV area. Not all the time, just some. It's a bright yellow and dries kind of thick. There is not a large amount of it.

Thoughts? Vet check?

ETA - def have plentiful access to cold clean drinking water at numerous places on the property.

Thanks,

Edited by SeeGee

... at numerous places on the property.

Are these "numerous places" outdoors, perhaps where Charlie wants to avoid and therefore is preferring to stay inside rather than partake in a drink? Dark yellow and drying thick sounds to me as though the urine is too concentrated indicating insufficient hydration.

ETA: Although I'm not a Vet and am assuming this is all the problem is, to encourage a dog to drink if I feel it has not had enough, I sometimes add a small amount of (e.g.) Active Manuka Honey to enough water for the dog to drink in one sitting. Not too much that the bladder will over-load, but enough for me to be satisfied to know that enough has been taken. The honey is often enjoyed and drunk whether a dog is thirsty or not - this is good to encourage a dog which needs to take in more but is also another reason not to over-do it.

Edited by Erny

On really hot days I make a point of taking my dogs to their water bowls and reminding them to drink regularly, because they often won't leave where they are if they are comfy and cool.

Although we have water bowls in half the rooms of the house, so they don't need to go far.

Dark yellow urine could only mean that it has stayed in the bladder for too long, just like that of the human. If your dog has a lot of water supply, then maybe he has been keeping in his urine? You might want to go to a vet and mention that your dog is doing such a thing. Maybe that would help in figuring out what the problem is.

Thanks all. There are 2 large water bowls at opposite sides of the house, and a large clam shell full of water outside.

I haven't thought of walking the dogs to the water bowl to remind them, and ill certainly start doing that.

There has been another development which has led us to consult with our behaviorist - I think it may have something to do with dominance. I look forward to hearing back from her.

He is desexed, but he has started humping Mia, and prettyi much anything and everything else, and today, for the first time in nearly 4 years, his penis came out! Hubby and I both saw it, couldn't believe it!

I sent Jane an email to get her take on it - it's new behavior for him.

Please note we are total novices!

:) ..OK ..with the urine consistency (It may not have been urine at all) and this behaviour ..I would suggest a vet visit ASAP..

My first thought, even before your latest post was perhaps an infection in the penis or sheath ...

this can cause discharge , thick & yellow sometimes..and it can also cause irritation, which then may set off humping etc .... purely reflex actions.

So ..a good physical , mentioning all these symptoms , then, if he gets the all clear ..a behaviourist visit may be useful :)

(disclaimer ..not a vet , or behaviourist , but have seen most things dog-related )

That's awesome Perse, I never would have thought of an infection in the penis or sheath - I've automatically gone straight to behavior.

We have had a look (poor darling) and there doesn't appear to have any noticeable issues around it, but considering we are not pros, ill book him in to have a check up anyway, it's been awhile anyway.

I've already sent my email off so it will be a double whammy!

And just to add... yesterday it was 45 degrees here. So in the morning before I left for work, I put a little dry food in half a bowl of water for the westies breakfast to make them drink. All three scoffed the lot - water included. I think its a good trick so you can have a better idea of how much your dogs are drinking. :)