Starting To Feed Solids How Many A Day?

dogmate

My babies are three weeks today and am going to start on the solids/slop how many feeds a day do you start with. My thoughts were one then second day two to get their tummies used to it but wonder what others do

One meal a day of solid mince meat, then after about 3 days of that I offer a small amount to each pup individually twice a day. After about 4 to 5 days of this I start to feed them all together.

I soak a small mount of dry and start to add that to the mince and build that up to what I consider a normal amount. Then when they are doing well on this I introduce chicken necks at about 5 to 6 weeks.

One meal a day of solid mince meat, then after about 3 days of that I offer a small amount to each pup individually twice a day. After about 4 to 5 days of this I start to feed them all together.<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247);">I soak a small mount of dry and start to add that to the mince and build that up to what I consider a normal amount. Then when they are doing well on this I introduce chicken necks at about 5 to 6 weeks.

yes..no 'slop' here. It's messy , and lapping is not easy for puppies ...

I give either a large meaty bone with meat well scored , on which they initially suck..then learn to chew ..OR tiny balls of mince ... no added anything .. ..and gradually increase as needed, adding supplements /edible bone and kibble...

fresh water is always available in a heavy container .. often one of those cake tins with a hole in the centre :) This stops crowding, paddling , and drowning :)

One meal a day of solid mince meat, then after about 3 days of that I offer a small amount to each pup individually twice a day. After about 4 to 5 days of this I start to feed them all together.<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247);">I soak a small mount of dry and start to add that to the mince and build that up to what I consider a normal amount. Then when they are doing well on this I introduce chicken necks at about 5 to 6 weeks.

yes..no 'slop' here. It's messy , and lapping is not easy for puppies ...

I give either a large meaty bone with meat well scored , on which they initially suck..then learn to chew ..OR tiny balls of mince ... no added anything .. ..and gradually increase as needed, adding supplements /edible bone and kibble...

fresh water is always available in a heavy container .. often one of those cake tins with a hole in the centre :) This stops crowding, paddling , and drowning :)

Yep cake tin with the big dome in the centre. :)

But here's another one you can use especially for large litters.

The large biscuit/cheese platters with a dip section moulded in the centre. About $2 in the Opp Shop makes a great puppy feeding dish.

Gee I wish I had thought of those dip type platters when I had my big litter! Feeding 2 is easy in comparison.

I start with 1 meal a day for the first 4 or 5 days of mostly mince with a little goats milk in it.

Excellent thanks. I just gave a meal of soaked kibble and mince and blended it together yes very messy so tommorrow. Wnt make it as sloppy. Thanks guys great suggestions off to do groceries this afternoon so will get one of those tiins.will also get some mety type bones have run out in the freezer.

Edited by dogmate

mince and goats milk until sloppy, never had a problem starting off pups this way, esp as they don;t seem interested in a more dry version.

1 meal for first day and depending how well that goes down, adding extra meals as and when over the course of next week or 2