Petplan Exclusions Reviewed...

Hi Everyone

I recently took out the Standard policy cover with Petplan for my 5 month old puppy after reading so many PDS' and forums... I am still awaiting the paperwork to come in the mail and rang them today to find out if I will receive it before my 14 day cooling off period finishes as I would like to review it first. They received a full medical history from my vet and although only 5 months old I've had two issues with my little girl; the first when she swallowed a seed and was vomiting and the second when she had some small scab like bites on her legs, which the vet believed may be from a bacterial infection.... as I spoke with Petplan today they have now placed exclusions on anything to do with gastrointestinal upsets/vomiting/diarrhoea and also skin disorders/allergies (even though it's not either of these!)... They advised I have a 12 month exclusion - so I'm assuming that if it doesn't present again within 12 months then I will have a clean slate the following years?

My question is: Those with Petplan - have you had exclusions placed on your cover when first starting a policy with them and if so did they review this after 12 months for the next years policy so you can then claim for it if it presents again? - providing there were no signs/symptoms of the illness/condition during that time...

I'm mainly concerned as my breed can be prone to skin allergies and currently she has more little lumps coming up (possibly mosquito bites) which I was hoping to have checked out... I really don't want skin conditions excluded for life..

Look forward to hearing experiences.

Hi Everyone

I recently took out the Standard policy cover with Petplan for my 5 month old puppy after reading so many PDS' and forums... I am still awaiting the paperwork to come in the mail and rang them today to find out if I will receive it before my 14 day cooling off period finishes as I would like to review it first. They received a full medical history from my vet and although only 5 months old I've had two issues with my little girl; the first when she swallowed a seed and was vomiting and the second when she had some small scab like bites on her legs, which the vet believed may be from a bacterial infection.... as I spoke with Petplan today they have now placed exclusions on anything to do with gastrointestinal upsets/vomiting/diarrhoea and also skin disorders/allergies (even though it's not either of these!)... They advised I have a 12 month exclusion - so I'm assuming that if it doesn't present again within 12 months then I will have a clean slate the following years?

My question is: Those with Petplan - have you had exclusions placed on your cover when first starting a policy with them and if so did they review this after 12 months for the next years policy so you can then claim for it if it presents again? - providing there were no signs/symptoms of the illness/condition during that time...

I'm mainly concerned as my breed can be prone to skin allergies and currently she has more little lumps coming up (possibly mosquito bites) which I was hoping to have checked out... I really don't want skin conditions excluded for life..

You really should call PetPlan to query the 12 month exclusion thing ... but sounds like they will only excluse those things for 12 months then you will be covered after that. Sounds pretty standard, though most insurers would NEVER cover you for those things. Do call PetPlan and confirm/check what they mean.

Not having covesage for gastrointestinal upsets/vomiting/diarrhoea is pretty broad, as almost all major illnesses will present with one of those symptoms ... does that mean anytime she has that symptom they will reject the claim, regardless of the end diagnoses?

With my first pup I had the free cover from my breeder, 6 or 8 weeks or whatever it was, then I continued that so she was covered from the day she left the breeder at 8 weeks. My second pup I got at 3 months and he was covered from the day he left the breeder as well, so no chance for exclusions really.

Edited by minimax

SA when I first insured my new 5 year old Westie girl with PetPlan, because she'd had one bout of HGE they excluded all gastro type stuff for twelve months. After 12 months she was covered again and then had another bout of HGe at the 14 month mark and they covered the lot.

So it's not a huge drama IMO and is better than a permanent exclusion. :)

Thank you. Yes it is very broad having GIT issues excluded for a year as it could be a symptom from anything... I will wait until I get it all in writing and then give them a call to confirm. I'm not sure if it means if I can't make a claim or if it presents and I see a vet but don't submit claim, within the next 12 months...

Hi Everyone

You really should call PetPlan to query the 12 month exclusion thing ... but sounds like they will only excluse those things for 12 months then you will be covered after that. Sounds pretty standard, though most insurers would NEVER cover you for those things. Do call PetPlan and confirm/check what they mean.

Not having covesage for gastrointestinal upsets/vomiting/diarrhoea is pretty broad, as almost all major illnesses will present with one of those symptoms ... does that mean anytime she has that symptom they will reject the claim, regardless of the end diagnoses?

With my first pup I had the free cover from my breeder, 6 or 8 weeks or whatever it was, then I continued that so she was covered from the day she left the breeder at 8 weeks. My second pup I got at 3 months and he was covered from the day he left the breeder as well, so no chance for exclusions really.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear! Thank you for sharing. I wanted to know if anyone has had an exclusion put on and then actually had it lifted. I'm not sure if they will guarantee removing the exclusion after 12 months but I guess I could wait and see next year... Do you know if you weren't allowed to have a claim or present to the vet with these issues within the 12 months?

Petplan seem pretty reasonable in their policies as opposed to other insurance companies who would have excluded after 12 months anyway...

SA when I first insured my new 5 year old Westie girl with PetPlan, because she'd had one bout of HGE they excluded all gastro type stuff for twelve months. After 12 months she was covered again and then had another bout of HGe at the 14 month mark and they covered the lot.

So it's not a huge drama IMO and is better than a permanent exclusion. :)

Hi SA,

I'm with PP and have exclusions removed for one dog and one horse when they had not had a repeat issue in a 12 month period, but it's not automatic, you need to request it be removed and provide evidence from your vet when your policy is due for renewal.

Cheers

S

That's good to hear. thumbsup1.gif

Hi SA,

I'm with PP and have exclusions removed for one dog and one horse when they had not had a repeat issue in a 12 month period, but it's not automatic, you need to request it be removed and provide evidence from your vet when your policy is due for renewal.

Cheers

S

The exclusions I had were based on a mild case of conjunctivitis my dog had before I took out the policy. They listed a whole heap of exclusions and still do, including ears, eyes, etc. When i queired it, they said that there have been cases of untreated conjuctivitis spreading to many other things??!!! I will be covered for anything relating to those body parts, providing conjunctivis is ruled out. And that has been the case. They have covered things relating to those areas, that were not related to conjuctivitis. They still list it on the policy some 6 years later.

Next time I will take out Pet Insurance immediately though to make sure I have no exclusions at all.

The exclusions I had were based on a mild case of conjunctivitis my dog had before I took out the policy. They listed a whole heap of exclusions and still do, including ears, eyes, etc. When i queired it, they said that there have been cases of untreated conjuctivitis spreading to many other things??!!! I will be covered for anything relating to those body parts, providing conjunctivis is ruled out. And that has been the case. They have covered things relating to those areas, that were not related to conjuctivitis. They still list it on the policy some 6 years later.

Next time I will take out Pet Insurance immediately though to make sure I have no exclusions at all.

It was always my intention to get insurance from day 1 and I'm kicking myself now that I didn't, I'm unlucky that I had these two things crop up - although now cleared looking back I was prob just being a paranoid new mum rushing off to the vets! smile.gif I'll see what happens after the exclusion time frame and if they lift it or not - I'm no better off with any other insurance company now anyway as they will exclude for life. At least I'm covered for anything major anyway.

• 1 month later...

Those with Petplan: how does it work? Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read, you pay your excess and 25% is that right? Do you think Petplan is the "best" one out there? I'm looking for my little lab pup who I pick up in 2 weeks.

Those with Petplan: how does it work? Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read, you pay your excess and 25% is that right? Do you think Petplan is the "best" one out there? I'm looking for my little lab pup who I pick up in 2 weeks.

Usually, you pay the bill and then claim. Petplan then send you a cheque in the mail that is minus your excess (and 25% if you have chosen that option).

The cheque can take a while to appear as they don't do EFT and you are reliant on the vagaries of Australia Post as well as cheque print runs etc.

I believe some vets will allow you to pay the excess etc and wait for payment from Petplan for the rest but I don't know of any specific vets that do this.

I only pay my excess, can't remember How much it is but it just went up slightly. Yes, I think pet plan is the best one, which is why I'm with them.

Edited by minimax

I pay $125 excess and Petplan then pay 100% of the bill - great if it is a huge amount and I always know what I am up for smile.gif I think you can choose to lower the premium by paying a % of the bill also but it may not always work out cheaper this way.

We are with petplan. Have made two claims in the past few months and had no problems with them. First one took a few weeks to get the refund but the last one came back within a fortnight.

I don't know what the other insurers are like so I can't say petplan are the best, but I've certainly been very happy with them so far.