Hot Spot On Hairless Dog?

Louis has what looks like a hot spot developing on his back :( He's never had one before, but we have been having very hot and humid weather recently. It's just above his shoulder and he can just get to it with his back leg to scratch, so I'm tempted to put the smallest, lightest t-shirt I have for him on to help prevent him making it worse. Apart from that any other suggestions?

I'll take him off to the vet if no improvement in a day or so.

Bit of a late reply but I feel like an old hand when it comes to hotspots. Come humid weather, I have to be vigilant with my guys. Muddy also will get them as he has (suspected) seasonal allergies and will chew himself and then the hotspot bacteria just flourishes in his thick coat. Daina is the same with a flea allergy.

My experience has been that the cream the vet prescribes (Neocort) is not good for hotspots as they need to dry out, and cream keeps them moist.

My method of treatment, which has always worked, is to dab with peroxide and follow up with betadine. Put a bucket collar on the dog and check the hotspot regularly to make sure it's drying and not expanding. They heal very quickly and I often catch them early so the dogs aren't in buckets for too long.

I would be concerned that the tshirt (although light) would keep the moisture in the wound and that Louis would just nibble through the tshirt to satisfy the urge to scratch the itchy wound.

If you go to the vet, the one thing that really helps is a steroid injection as it breaks the itchiness cycle and seems to speed up the healing. I have some tablets on hand for Moo's allergies and will give one when somebody gets a hotspot :)

Edited by Mim

Many thanks Min for all the info :) It's no worse this morning and is pretty dry, so hopefully the betadine has helped - I have put a bit more on it this morning. I left his t-shirt off last night, but have put it on this morning as he was trying to scratch and his skin is so soft he can make a mess of it with scratching. It is a very thin, loose cotton t-shirt so hopefully that will be ok.

Calamine sounds a good idea too - thanks Mim :) I took him to the vet last night and she doesn't think it is a hotspot as it isn't 'wet' at all. She thinks more likely a reaction to a bite or something that has irritated him. So I have some cream for him and just need to keep an eye on it for now. It looks a bit better this morning :)