Puppy Vacc Help!

We use Protech C3 at 6-7 weeks and then again at 12 weeks with a booster 12 months later. Still deciding on how often after that but probably 3 yearly now. I have not used C5 for over 20 years. My vets do not use it on their own dogs and neither do I after having a dog react badly to it.

Our rescue pups get C3 at 6, 10, and 14 weeks, then new owners are advised to booster at 15 months... after that the choice is theirs as to whether they titre test or vacc at regular intervals.

My own dogs followed the same schedule, and I vacc roughly once every 5-7 years after the first adult booster - and I only vacc with C3. My dogs have already been exposed to so many strains of Kennel Cough via the fosters that it seems a little silly to add that component.

T.

My puppy has a C3 at 8 weeks, then C5 at 12 and 16 weeks (for which he had terrible side effects). If I could do it again, I would only give him C3. I also plan to get a booster but after a titre testing at 12 months. Congrats for your new puppy :thumbsup:

Standard puppy vacc protocol is 6-8 weeks, 12-14 weeks, 16-18 weeks, followed by a booster at 16 months.

The 16-18 week vacc may be necessary if you choose to give the kennel cough component (C5) or if you live in a high risk parvo area. In reality it's optional, regardless of what the vet tells you.

C3 is the core set of vaccines (parvo/distemper/adenovirus) and important in protecting your puppy from contracting preventable disease. C5 is an optional extra which also covers kennel cough.

You will also need to consider whether you wish to attend obedience classes or board your dog as some will request proof a certain vacc schedule to attend - usually C5 (or above) plus annual boosters.

Here is Jean Dodds vaccine protocol (ignore the rabies as it's not required in Australia) http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/DODDS-CHG-VACC-PROTOCOLS.HTM

Here is the revised AVA position statement on vaccines http://www.apvma.gov.au/use_safely/vaccination.php

AVA is now recommending 3 yearly boosters as opposed to annual boosters, however most vets are still pushing annual vaccinations.

What you do is ultimately up to you. Personally I would follow the advice of your breeder. smile.gif

C3 at 6 weeks is a waste of time and does nothing to protect the pups

It is still a requirement of the Dogs NSW COE for all breeders to vaccinate 10-14 days before selling a puppy and as it is vital for some breeds to leave at 8 weeks there is no other option. It may or may not be a waste of time depending on the antibodies from the Mum and there is no way of knowing. Personally I would rather give it in case it does work.

C3 at 6 weeks is a waste of time and does nothing to protect the pups

It is still a requirement of the Dogs NSW COE for all breeders to vaccinate 10-14 days before selling a puppy and as it is vital for some breeds to leave at 8 weeks there is no other option. It may or may not be a waste of time depending on the antibodies from the Mum and there is no way of knowing. Personally I would rather give it in case it does work.

I'm a dogs nsw breeder and have no trouble like many others in waiting that bit longer to vaccinate, as it's in the best interests of the puppies health, not to be over vaccinated. Three puppy vaccines when you can provide immunity with only one or two, is over kill.

Vaccinating a pup at 6 weeks that has been born in in rescue to a bitch with no vacc history is our standard protocol... chances are there is little immunity coming from mum for the 3 big nasties...

For pups born from well cared for and healthy breeding dogs, I'd be a little less "cautious" about the 3 vacc protocol.

T.

I guess it doesn't really matter for the rescue pups anyway, as they put through juvenile desexing and in the scheme of things an extra vacc is neither here nor there.

Interesting that people would think the rescue bitches more likely to have low immunity, I would think that such bitches would have been exposed to a greater number of pathogens than your average dog, given they've wandered the streets, been in pounds etc.They have have survived to breeding age without being killed by parvo or another nasty.