Early Desexing

Lugeanjaam

I recall a recent thread on the pro's and con's of early desexing. I am having some trouble finding it as I am on my phone. Could someone please post the link to the thread?

Our breeder has given us the option of our puppy (Belgian Groenendael) being desexed prior to coming home with us at 8 weeks of age or for us to organise the desexing ourselves when he is older. I have read a lot of conflicting opinions on this subject and I remember that this particular thread was really informative. Thanks!

Ooh I think I started that, didn't realise at the time the hype it would cause :laugh: Sorry can't remember how long ago it was, over a year I think? But I personally wouldn't desex a dog, esp a large breed dog that young. I was turned off a breeder for that reason, to me personally I felt it was a slap in the face, like an I don't trust you with my dog ect. Just how I personally felt.

If this is the thread you were looking for- http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/227852-question-about-de-sexing/page__p__5531419__fromsearch__1#entry5531419

Edited by german_shep_fan

Hi Guys,

I know it is an excellent thing that pounds de-sex dogs before letting them go to their forever home, but what happens in the case of large and giant breeds?

I have recently run into a lady who has rescued the most adorable mastiff x ridgi he would be about 9-10 weeks and his neutered, the pound did this before releasing him, are their things the owner can do to help the growing process now that his not entire the last thing I would want (and the owner) for this little guy is to not grow correctly, how much does being de-sexed so early effect this?

Hi Guys,

I know it is an excellent thing that pounds de-sex dogs before letting them go to their forever home, but what happens in the case of large and giant breeds?

I have recently run into a lady who has rescued the most adorable mastiff x ridgi he would be about 9-10 weeks and his neutered, the pound did this before releasing him, are their things the owner can do to help the growing process now that his not entire the last thing I would want (and the owner) for this little guy is to not grow correctly, how much does being de-sexed so early effect this?

The best she can do I think is grow him nice and slow - no nutrient dense puppy foods or over-supplementation. Either a good mid-range adult kibble, or a well balanced raw diet, and let him take his time growing. Keep him lean, not roly poly.

And keep his exercise at sensible levels without too many stairs and such. If he is truly a Mastiff cross RR he will be very big - but most dogs labelled as Mastiff in the pound are mastiff-type at best, and no more a real Mastiff than I am, so he might end up large but not giant.

Many dogs are desexed early and grow just fine, so you can't assume problems will occur. But the thread linked in the post above, and especially the reseach referenced in that link, provides lots of info on possible effects. As an owner of a tall breed I would never desex early, but not everyone has the choice.

Desexing a dog at/before 8 weeks? WTH!

WTH is why I desex my pups at around 10 to 12 weeks. A toy breed & the most popular for puppy farm, mongrel/DD's. The alternative if pup ends up in the wrong hands is worse.

I would not desex a large breed this young I would do tubal/vasectomey on those.

Its not only a case of can't trust the owner, although some swear they would never breed the entire dog on limited pedigree but then these dogs do get bred. Its also what if the dog got lost/stolen.

Once a pup leaves a breeder they don't have any control over its life then so they can only trust the person they hand it over to after giving it the best start they can & ensuring the best home. This isn't always foolproof so at least I know no matter what none of mine will be puppy farmed.

To the OP I would suggest you take the breeder as someone who cares about their dogs not someone who is personally insulting you. If you are happy with things overall ask if the puppy could have a tubal ligation for now & desex when older.

Christina I think the breeder is fabulous! She cares very much about her puppies and their long term well being. In my case the breeder has given me the choice of desexing myself when the pup is older or she can desex him prior to coming home with me at 8 weeks. I am just looking at the pro's and con's.

I completely understand why breeders would choose to desex prior to placing in their new homes. Particularly with the smaller breeds.

Hi Guys,

The best she can do I think is grow him nice and slow - no nutrient dense puppy foods or over-supplementation. Either a good mid-range adult kibble, or a well balanced raw diet, and let him take his time growing. Keep him lean, not roly poly.

And keep his exercise at sensible levels without too many stairs and such. If he is truly a Mastiff cross RR he will be very big - but most dogs labelled as Mastiff in the pound are mastiff-type at best, and no more a real Mastiff than I am, so he might end up large but not giant.

Many dogs are desexed early and grow just fine, so you can't assume problems will occur. But the thread linked in the post above, and especially the reseach referenced in that link, provides lots of info on possible effects. As an owner of a tall breed I would never desex early, but not everyone has the choice.

By looking at his paws, and him yes I would think that is his true origins and of course we can not be sure ( no papers) but this little fella has HUGE paws I have never seen such big paws so I told her he is going to be a very big boy

All the more reason the not let him get too fat or work him too hard - slower more even growth and a pup on the lean rather than fat side (I don't mean really skinny) has the best chance of a sound adult here I would think. Lots of access to free running and playing but he sets the pace and he can stop when tired and get plenty of rest. And plenty of sunlight and grass to run on, not too much concrete or smooth hard surfaces.

Edited by Diva

All the more reason the not let him get too fat or work him too hard - slower more even growth and a pup on the lean rather than fat side (I don't mean really skinny) has the best chance of a sound adult here I would think. Lots of access to free running and playing but he sets the pace and he can stop when tired and get plenty of rest. And plenty of sunlight and grass to run on, not too much concrete or smooth hard surfaces.

Thanks for that, I'll pass on the info :)

Desexing a dog at/before 8 weeks? WTH!

WTH is why I desex my pups at around 10 to 12 weeks. A toy breed & the most popular for puppy farm, mongrel/DD's. The alternative if pup ends up in the wrong hands is worse.

I would not desex a large breed this young I would do tubal/vasectomey on those.

Its not only a case of can't trust the owner, although some swear they would never breed the entire dog on limited pedigree but then these dogs do get bred. Its also what if the dog got lost/stolen.

Once a pup leaves a breeder they don't have any control over its life then so they can only trust the person they hand it over to after giving it the best start they can & ensuring the best home. This isn't always foolproof so at least I know no matter what none of mine will be puppy farmed.

To the OP I would suggest you take the breeder as someone who cares about their dogs not someone who is personally insulting you. If you are happy with things overall ask if the puppy could have a tubal ligation for now & desex when older.

While I do understand desexing smaller breeds at that age by tubal ligation or vasectomy to stop the nasties from getting puppies, and I think it is absolutely fair enough. But to fully desex a working breed at 8 weeks I have an issue with. If it were zinc neuter, vasec or tubal, then again a little different, as long as they have their sexual hormones to aid growth and development thats alright, otherwise just no.