For Those Who Feed A Dog A Natural Diet ?

Christina

I'm curious if you feed your dog a natural diet with no "junk" in it do you eat a natural diet yourself ?

Thinking about all the advertising & fuss about feeding dogs & cats & what is good & natural for them how many people worry about what is natural for themselves ?

My diet is mostly all natural, seldom have any cans or packets or ready meals of any kind.

An odd junk treat like dark chocolate or all natural pack of lollies occasionally but I don't worry much about the dogs food.

Some fresh meat, chicken, liver, wings, pasta, vegies, an occasional puppy can & common brands of dry like supercoat, hills & advance.

Sometime we seem to worry more about what goes into ours dogs bodies than our own :laugh:

My dogs get raw food with some dry added occasionally, or 4Legs. I try to give them treats that aren't too processed, eg jerky rather than Schmackoes. And I tend to eat the same way myself (vegetables rather than raw meat though :) ), but have to admit to chocolate and Christmas cake just recently :) .

Zig is raw fed and he gets some Eukanuba kibble a few times a week as a top up.

Me, healthy diet? hell no, I am the junk food queen when I do eat these days.

I try to be good but it only lasts a day or two before I can't be bothered cooking.

If I make stuff at home these days it is so quick - like canned lentils, curry paste, tinned tomatoes and frozen veg (makes a great curried lentil and veg). Or another fave at the moment is haloumi (fried) in a wrap with some salad (from a packet)..

The other 5 nights a week it is nothing or take away.. I have been like this since Dan died - I just can't be bothered (I know I should make an effort).

My dogs are fed a BARF diet and treats made personaly from that protein source, so no commercial crap.

I do not follow a natural diet, in the past I have although my dislike of many foods that are good for me didn't help that lol

Yes, I am better at controlling my dogs diet than my own :laugh:

But we do try to stick to non processed foods, including growing our own veggies, our own eggs and some of our own meat. We are far from perfect though!

And while on a natural diet, as I believe it is healthiest for them, our dogs do get 'junk' from time to time as a treat - they are not averse to the odd hot chip, ice cream, sweet biscuit or pizza crust themselves! :D

Edited by espinay2

My dog (past and present) eats more healthy than I do.

I'll eat some junk food - but then I know what junk food does/can do to the body, I'll deal with it.

My dog/s doesn't have the presence of mind to be so discerning and trusts that I'll give the right food to eat. And so, to the best of my ability, I do.

Edited by Erny

I wish I had someone to prepare all my meals for me to make sure I was eating nutritious food that was the best food for me. But alas I feed myself so while I try to make everything from scratch most days sometimes I eat processed crap :laugh:

My dogs now have a raw meaty bone diet. Mostly chicken legs, turkey wings or small legs if I can get them. They occasionally they have beef chunks or pork. They should also have offal & liver but they don't like it & the JS gets a runny bottom when something nww is introduced. Veggies & grains/pasta are not needed. They also get the occasional raw egg.

My dogs now have a raw meaty bone diet. Mostly chicken legs, turkey wings or small legs if I can get them. They occasionally they have beef chunks or pork. They should also have offal & liver but they don't like it & the JS gets a runny bottom when something nww is introduced. Veggies & grains/pasta are not needed. They also get the occasional raw egg.

Yes, but as the question says - what do YOU eat :laugh:

I eat much worse quality wise than Cleo does.

Mostly because I make a conscious choice to eat junk food if I feel like it, Cleo gets no choice other than stealing bird seed and eating poo.

I will try to be healthier when I have children, but right now my sister is on a anti-everything that tastes good (basically) diet and I'm so sick of hearing about it that I think im rebelling. Mind you my mum think's im too skinny (im not, my BMI is 22) and I do love my veggies so Im not all bad.

Guest donatella

I eat healthy on work days but days off are junk food days.

Same goes for my dogs, they get raw and healthy 6 days a week and they get a 'junk' food day and get a Natures Gift small dog tray in either kangaroo or chicken 1 day a week. I like to keep their diet interesting and mixed up rather then eating the same thing 7 days in a row.

Elsie is raw fed, but gets a little but of junk (off our plates, and sausages for training).

Partner and I are vegetarians, grow our own veggies, go to farmers markets for local produce, make our own bread and pasta... So we do eat pretty healthy, but I get insane chocolate cravings for whittakers peanut butter chocolate. We generally avoid take away food and processed food though.

My dogs & cats are fed mostly raw.

We ourselves eat healthy food - we rarely have takeaway and eat whole foods. We rarely drink soft drink or juice (unless we've juiced it ourselves). We do have some junk, but not often.

I figure my animals can't do the shopping or decide their meals each day so its up to me to make the best choices I can for them. I guess it will be the same when we have kids.

Currently having a dog with a major health issue (cancer).... Whilst the dogs didn't eat badly before, have completely overhauled his diet into feeding completely home prepared organic meals.

Working full time, study commitments and now the added time to go and shop for the organic meat and veggies plus preparation each night, means by the time I've finished doing everything that needs to be done...Am too knackered to cook and we are eating crap.

My OH is now starting to eye off the dogs meals.....if the OH hangs in there as I slowly get into a routine with the new regime for the dogs...he may get a decent meal sometime next week..... :D

My OH is now starting to eye off the dogs meals.....

:laugh: ..... I have eaten part of my dog's meal once, when there was absolutely zip else in the fridge or freezer, for the same reason as you (i.e. no time left after looking after the dog). The beauty of having healthy, wholesome, human-grade dog diets is that it is possible to share them :D. I cooked mine up first, though.

There are lots of good published studies on human diet and health impact. Anyone know of any published research into dog diets?

I am sure every dog food manufacturer would send research to anyone who asked to show that theirs is the best. I did hear that Iams did some research that was really callous but whether or not this was accurate I really don't know. It did put me off the product though.

There are lots of good published studies on human diet and health impact. Anyone know of any published research into dog diets?

I am sure every dog food manufacturer would send research to anyone who asked to show that theirs is the best. I did hear that Iams did some research that was really callous but whether or not this was accurate I really don't know. It did put me off the product though.

Yes, I'm thinking of controlled studies not funded by the industry.