Anyone Remember Old Keith Colcott, From Agility Trials

This is a 'cut & paste" from Lisa Kaddatz who posted on my Facebook Page...I hope she doesn't mind :( I think he was about 82 & didn't take up agility till he retired. We will always remember him & his border collie "Maybe"

(quote)

Read some sad news on the Agility Australia group this morning that Keith Colcott has passed away after a short battle with cancer. Many won't know Keith, he was a senior handler from Sydney who apparently didn't take up agility till he retired. He had Border Collies and I met him some years ago now when he travelled up to Armidale and Coffs and I think possibly Grafton too to compete. He was a funny old bugger to watch compete and also to judge and his BC's certainly tested his patience, esp. Maybe (who we initially thought was named Baby) leaving him shaking his fists many times, but he was a great sport and no matter how frustratingly naughty his BC's were on course, he would always acknowledge the judge on the way out with smile & a wave and a thank you as he loved his dogs. I judged him at Armidale some years now and Maybe qualified in novice agility in my ring and I remember at presentation he announced to everyone that it had taken about 156 trials to get that pass and to keep trying :-) He was a funny bloke to chat too around trials too and even though I saw him a couple of times a year, he will be missed.

RIP Keith and I hope you have snuck over to Rainbow Bridge to play agility once more. (quote)

Edited by sheena

Yes, I remember him when he first started agility with his dog "Cody".

That was a long time ago.

He certainly enjoyed his sporting activities as he retired and he kept at it no matter how hard it was for him..

Good on him.

RIP Keith

Yes...he certainly had his own unique way of handling his dogs & yeah...he certainly is an inspiration to all of us who think we are getting too old for the sport. He was the very first person OH & I met when we popped into a local trial to see what it was all about. He must have been in his late 70's then, & it certainly gave me the inspiration to take it up. I thought I would be too old, that it would be a young persons sport. :)

I stewarded at a couple of agility trials he ran in at Newcastle and we had a few brief chats. He just had so much joy in being able to run his dogs and such an inspiration to be doing it in his 80's. He very proudly told everyone he was 80. He did have his own unique style with his dogs but I was really impressed that he remembered the course better than a lot of the younger competitors!!