Conversion Of Show Results Between Aust And The Us?

SwaY

conversion ???

very difficult to compare wins if that's what you mean ..

for instance DogCC here is NOT the same was WD (Winners Dog) because they don't

compete against the Champions in the breed for points.

I know you know that :) BOB is of course the same .. as is Best in Group = Group 1st

I am trying to explain it to them and to be honest they are not getting it :laugh:

So I am hoping there is something out there that explains it all for me and maybe they will get it then?

That is a worry :rofl: given our system is way easier

I always understand things like "Group 1st"!

But sometimes when I see results from say the US, they say such and such points Major, Best of Winners. I get so confused!

Can someone please point to maybe a simple guide on how the US and Canadian System work in terms of showing? I tend to follow the US results mainly for Min Pins and Lowchens, but don't see it often for Cresteds.

Edited by Tambaqui

Ok let me try. I may not get it all right but here goes! Winners dog and bitch. Like challenge (in that you get points) but minus the champions (as an aside they tried something similar at Sydney royal a few years back ...). Best of breed competition the winners dog and bitch go into the ring with all the champions (both dogs and bitches). The judge then chooses best of breed from them. Also best opposite ( ie is a dog is given BOB the judge chooses the best bitch from those in the ring and vice versa). From the Winners dog and bitch they also choose best of winners (though if one of them goes BOB over the champions they get it automatically).

Now the points bit is more complicated and I admit to not fully understanding it. The winners dog and bitch are awarded points as a 'major' ( their rough equivalent of our challenge points). The number of points in a major is worked out based on a regional formula and on how many dogs compete on the day. Different regions require different numbers of dogs to be competing to 'make up' a major and determine the number of points. To be awarded a champion title the dog has to win a certain number of higher point majors as well as lower point ones.

Edited by espinay2

Ok let me try. I may not get it all right but here goes! Winners dog and bitch. Like challenge (in that you get points) but minus the champions (as an aside they tried something similar at Sydney royal a few years back ...). Best of breed competition the winners dog and bitch go into the ring with all the champions (both dogs and bitches). The judge then chooses best of breed from them. Also best opposite ( ie is a dog is given BOB the judge chooses the best bitch from those in the ring and vice versa). From the Winners dog and bitch they also choose best of winners (though if one of them goes BOB over the champions they get it automatically).

Now the points bit is more complicated and I admit to not fully understanding it. The winners dog and bitch are awarded points as a 'major' ( their rough equivalent of our challenge points). The number of points in a major is worked out based on a regional formula and on how many dogs compete on the day. Different regions require different numbers of dogs to be competing to 'make up' a major and determine the number of points. To be awarded a champion title the dog has to win a certain number of higher point majors as well as lower point ones.

Hi,

Go to the American Kennel Club website.....there is an explanation of their system......plus they also give you examples to then work out the points etc.....like a little test...LOL....but helps to understand how it works

I explained our system to an American friend and she said, oh it's the same as the UKC so try pointing them in that direction.

I am trying to explain it to them and to be honest they are not getting it :laugh:

So I am hoping there is something out there that explains it all for me and maybe they will get it then?

Short story..the US system is a bitch to learn....and varies from region to region when it comes to how many dogs/bitches are required for a major.

15 points all up

of that, you need two majors

A major is a win of 3 points or more (up to and not more than five points)

You can win a major by going group first if there was a major offered at the breed level in any other breed in that group assuming your breed did not have a major offered.

Some regions have amazing numbers needed for a simple three point win....others you need only four of the same sex

You MUST have the same gender entered to get points. A dog and a bitch competing mean no points for either, even though one will be BOB.

If you beat specials (champions) from the classes...it gets difficult again. BOB over specials...all the specials count towards a major (the numbers, and all are considered neutral, meaning males or females are equal) if you go Best of Opp over specials, the number of specials in that gender only, count towards a possible major.

Best of Winners adds points only if the other gender has the major (or higher points) so if your showing a male, and there is no points offered, but you get Best of Winners over the bitches and there was a three point major, you get that major.

Five points maximum per show...even if you go BIS from the classes as a lone entry.

Each region is slightly different so you need to be aware of your point schedule for that region. Before the show, and just after the entry closes, they will post the numbers of entry...so you will see the following 1-3(2-5) which means....1 male, 3 bitches, 3 male specials, 5 female specials. if a major is 4-4 (and then up the scale at 5-5 and then 6-6 for the max five points) , that is, it takes four males for a three point win, and 4 bitches for the same..you have the possibility of a major for a bitch if she goes BOB or Best of Opp. The male must go BOB for the major as there isn't enough dogs entered if he goes Best of Opp. (there would only be a total of 3 males) So if the male goes BOB, he would get he would get 5 points. (7 specials plus his single entry is eight...but he only needs 6 entry for a five point win) and the class bitch goes best of Opp, she would also get a five point major.

Yup...bit confusing, but once you've actually played in the rings over there for a while, it makes sense.....and yes, the Canadian system is different again! :)

Short story..the US system is a bitch to learn....and varies from region to region when it comes to how many dogs/bitches are required for a major.

15 points all up

of that, you need two majors

A major is a win of 3 points or more (up to and not more than five points)

You can win a major by going group first if there was a major offered at the breed level in any other breed in that group assuming your breed did not have a major offered.

Some regions have amazing numbers needed for a simple three point win....others you need only four of the same sex

You MUST have the same gender entered to get points. A dog and a bitch competing mean no points for either, even though one will be BOB.

If you beat specials (champions) from the classes...it gets difficult again. BOB over specials...all the specials count towards a major (the numbers, and all are considered neutral, meaning males or females are equal) if you go Best of Opp over specials, the number of specials in that gender only, count towards a possible major.

Best of Winners adds points only if the other gender has the major (or higher points) so if your showing a male, and there is no points offered, but you get Best of Winners over the bitches and there was a three point major, you get that major.

Five points maximum per show...even if you go BIS from the classes as a lone entry.

Each region is slightly different so you need to be aware of your point schedule for that region. Before the show, and just after the entry closes, they will post the numbers of entry...so you will see the following 1-3(2-5) which means....1 male, 3 bitches, 3 male specials, 5 female specials. if a major is 4-4 (and then up the scale at 5-5 and then 6-6 for the max five points) , that is, it takes four males for a three point win, and 4 bitches for the same..you have the possibility of a major for a bitch if she goes BOB or Best of Opp. The male must go BOB for the major as there isn't enough dogs entered if he goes Best of Opp. (there would only be a total of 3 males) So if the male goes BOB, he would get he would get 5 points. (7 specials plus his single entry is eight...but he only needs 6 entry for a five point win) and the class bitch goes best of Opp, she would also get a five point major.

Yup...bit confusing, but once you've actually played in the rings over there for a while, it makes sense.....and yes, the Canadian system is different again! :)

Yep, the points bit always makes my head spin :laugh: The rest is easy enough once you get the hang of it, but I think I would actually have to be over there doing it rather than just watching from the sidelines to work out the points properly :dunce: (particularly as getting/breaking majors sometimes seems a bit like a chess game! :crazy: )