Gazebo Advice

Sue & Waldo

After a very bad dose of sunburn at a trial I have decided to buy a gazebo or shelter. I thought of a smallish one that can be put up by one person who is DIY challenged at times (me :laugh: ). I had thought of a beach shelter type but am open to suggestions. they may even be on sale at this time of the year if I am lucky enough. :crossfingers:

Oztrail Compact. Will actually fit in the car and reasonably easy to carry. I can put it up on my own.

We also have an Oztrail Compact 3 yrs old and still going strong, easily put up by one person. Would not use one of those beach shelters, they get very hot.

If you get the oztrail compact make sure it is not aluminium they buckle easily

If you have 4Wd or van /wagon type vehicle try this, there are several brands and styles avail

Also another option is http://www.4x4awnings.com.au/series-1000-roll-out-awnings/ again available in several brands and sizes/types and you can attach sides if required.

glad to know about the aluminium so thanks. I thought about attaching one to the Kluger but wondered of it would not be as flexible as a stand alone one.

Oztrail Deluxe Compact - still fits across the back seat foot well area of a smaller car, and I can easily assemble it myself. Slightly heavier but stronger and also has heavier duty roof covering. I started with the original Compact but the Deluxe is so much better.

Oztrail Deluxe Compact - still fits across the back seat foot well area of a smaller car, and I can easily assemble it myself. Slightly heavier but stronger and also has heavier duty roof covering. I started with the original Compact but the Deluxe is so much better.

I will probably get one of these when my original Compact goes to God. Compacts definitely are the go for folk on their own.

Just remember always to peg the feet AND cross and peg the guy ropes for optimum stability. My little Compact, with extra crossed guyropes has survived situations that have turned big gazebos that weren't properly pegged into trash.

The other good thing about the Compacts is that lots of folk have them - you can make a big gazebo farm with your friends and join them all together! :)

Edited by Haredown Whippets

glad to know about the aluminium so thanks. I thought about attaching one to the Kluger but wondered of it would not be as flexible as a stand alone one.

Flexible in so much as where you park and where you show yes definately I only use mine when camping or when I go to a show I know I can park at ringside and have it on back of vehicle I have a different model.Gazebos are useful for camping in as well just make sure you have all 4 solid walls and I use a tarp over roof as mine tends to still leak :(

Flexible in so much as where you park and where you show yes definately I only use mine when camping or when I go to a show I know I can park at ringside and have it on back of vehicle I have a different model.Gazebos are useful for camping in as well just make sure you have all 4 solid walls and I use a tarp over roof as mine tends to still leak :(

Go to a horse supplies shop and buy some rug seal. If you paint the seams on the gazebo roof with rug seal, it shouldn't leak. :) Mine doesn't.

I have had one of the original compacts for the last few years and ad HW says it has survived where bigger ones have failed. Pegging down, using guy ropes if it looks to be windy and if up over night dropping it down and cross bracing with guy ropes has seen it last even big wind storms (surprised even me). It may look light but this one has lasted far longer that any of the bigger and supposedly more sturdy ones I had before. Given the choice I may go with a compact deluxe which wasn't available when I bought mine but I have no complaints about the original.

I have had one of the original compacts for the last few years and ad HW says it has survived where bigger ones have failed. Pegging down, using guy ropes if it looks to be windy and if up over night dropping it down and cross bracing with guy ropes has seen it last even big wind storms (surprised even me). It may look light but this one has lasted far longer that any of the bigger and supposedly more sturdy ones I had before. Given the choice I may go with a compact deluxe which wasn't available when I bought mine but I have no complaints about the original.

Hi,

I have 2 oztrail compacts ...one which is 4 years old and the other I won in a raffle last year.......there is not much difference between these 2 models, these are great light, small, easy to put up and if dropped down over night and pegged in very strong against wind........something I was shown lately which I thought was great if you camp, but need a 3m gazebo.....BCF do an enclosed lean two/sleeping area for their own brand gazebos but can be easlity attached to any other gazebo......they are fully enclosed with solid back, sides and floor with a fly screen zippered front....really easy to put up,

Well after going to Rays Outdoors, Aussie Disposals, Anaconda & Kathmandu (unfortunately the store and not the city) I ended up at Clarke Rubber to buy some tape. I spotted this beach shelter that is quite large and light. It has a floor and folds up very easily. Keeps your gear a bit safer and has zip up windows for ventilation. So I got that. Just was not convinced that i needed a gazebo. Now I have to go back to Clarke Rubber to get the tape I went in for in the first place!

Hi,

I have 2 oztrail compacts ...one which is 4 years old and the other I won in a raffle last year.......there is not much difference between these 2 models, these are great light, small, easy to put up and if dropped down over night and pegged in very strong against wind........something I was shown lately which I thought was great if you camp, but need a 3m gazebo.....BCF do an enclosed lean two/sleeping area for their own brand gazebos but can be easlity attached to any other gazebo......they are fully enclosed with solid back, sides and floor with a fly screen zippered front....really easy to put up,

Showpony, is this what you're alking about with the sleeping area? Wanderer Gazebo Hub Dome Tent - 3 person

Looks great!

Hi,

Showpony, is this what you're alking about with the sleeping area? Wanderer Gazebo Hub Dome Tent - 3 person

Looks great!

Wow that looks handy! Might have to keep that one in mind for sure!

I think there is one though that actually sits under the gazebo? (basically encloses the gazebo).

Edited: this one? http://www.bcf.com.au/Products/TentGuide/GazebosScreenhousesBeachDomes/Deluxe_Gazebo_Tent_Inner_Kit.aspx

Edited by espinay2

Hi,

Looks great!

Wow that looks handy! Might have to keep that one in mind for sure!

I think there is one though that actually sits under the gazebo? (basically encloses the gazebo).

Oztrail has one that goes under the gazebo roof, enclosing the whole gazebo

Hi,

Looks great!

Yep....thats it !!!!!