Dumb Question....

leopuppy04

Not sure what to do here as I remember the discussion some time ago, particularly amongst Aussie owners regarding what to call each colour when registering.

Eg: is a black tri - a black tricolour - or black, copper and white markings?

Is a blue merle =- blue merle or blue merle with copper and white markings?

any help would be appreciated!

I would have to check to be sure, but I think I register as Black with white and copper markings, Blue merle with white and copper markings, Red merle with white and copper markings.

ETA: Mine says "Red, White & Copper" for a red tri.

Edited by Parkeyre

I remember seeing a colour list sent out with one lot of paperwork from Dogs Vic which had acceptable colour registrations..... but this was 2 or so years ago. Could have changed again

However cant find where I put this form - I had a feeling the idea was to use three colour descriptions only and that they had dropped the option of Tricolour. Therefore instead of black tricolour - it was black with white and tan points.....

Also think they might have dropped the term copper.....however you are best to ring the Kennel Council from your state and check.

Reminds me I might have to ring myself and get clarification for future litters.

Allowable Colours Listing

be discontinued as a mandatory document for registration. The colours, variations and patterns as stated in the current Breed Standards will be the criteria for registration on the Main Register.

Dogs with colours, variations or patterns not in the Breed Standard will be registered on the Limited Register.

Tracey Barry

ANKC Administrator

16 June 2009

Eg: is a black tri - a black tricolour - or black, copper and white markings?

Is a blue merle =- blue merle or blue merle with copper and white markings?

just to add to this - I would think a black tri is the same as saying black, copper and white

but a blue merle may or may not have copper markings, so the marking should be added if they have them?

Not colours we have in my breed, but that is what makes sense to me - although we all known kennel clubs have their own ideas of what makes sense! :laugh: