Good Quality Harness

Elise+Hudson

Hi guys,

I am doing more and more agility training with my dog, and need to get a harness with a handle. I am using it to hold onto him between training so that he is not practicing his behavior of running off/sniffing/ignoring me! It is making a huge difference in our training and he is running off less - but it is killing my back to hold him by the collar all the time, and the handle tags are too long and get in the road of him jumping!

So I am looking for a harness with a reasonable sized handle, and a harness that won't tear or pull his coat out as he is still going to be showing as well!

(I don't ask for much do I?) Anyone know of anything?

My vote would probably be a comfortflex harness :thumbsup:. Clean Run still have them on free shipping too.

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1771&ParentCat=449

If you would rather something a little sturdier then you could also look at something like a DT harness from K9Pro.

http://www.k9pro.com.au/products/Dog-Harness-DT-FUN.html

I have the comfortflex harnesses for my two, I really like them, they wear them for walks and I haven't noticed any coat rubbing or wearing.

I would recommend those or the Julius K9 harnesses ish posted (they are a little easer to get off and on I believe)

One comment re the clip and a coated breed. I don't find the DT harness especially easy to undo/do up because of the clip and getting hair caught. I suspect the Julius would be a similar issue as it looks to be a similar design. No such issue with the comfortflex because the clip is located on top of the velcro strap :laugh:.

Edited by ness

I won't be taking it off while training, I am trying to assist my training using a harness as I mentioned in my initial post. Hudson is great while running the course but as soon as he is done and gets his reinforcement (food, toy, play, cuddles etc.) he then just wanders off and is hard to get back and get his attention again. So I need something that after the reinforcement I can quietly take him so he can't practice the wandering behaviour. This is already making a HUGE difference so far.

I am quite careful with equipment so I don't think a harness will cause training to be any more dangerous then without the harness.

if you didn't want a harness Bowhouse have these collars, not sure what they are like as only just found them

PatentoPet collars with integrated handle

All collars are not the same!

Patento have developed the unique collar with integrated short-leash which can be pulled out by the dog owner in a matter of seconds.

Whether on walks or training, very often dogs have to be leashed because of safety reasons.

Within seconds and without stress this Dog Control collar turns into a short leash, so that the freedom of movement of the dog can be constrained immediately.

If the leash is not needed anymore, the elastic material is being retracted and is readjusted to the shape of the collar.

Collar-Black.jpg

Another one here who would strongly advise against training with a harness.

I would suggest that if he is wandering off between exercises that your reward system is nowhere near high enough to be doing too much agility yet, especially anything of a complex nature.

There are SOOOOO many things you can do to change this without the need to run him in a harness.

Sorry but none of these things are safe to do agility with. I'd suggest looking at some youtubes but it is far too distressing. Try a slip lead with no collar. Very easy to pop on when he's finished and take off as you get to the start line. If you post in the agility thread I'm pretty sure that is what experienced people will say. Anything with a loop or that dangles can get caught.

I am not talking running whole courses? Just training.

Slip lead would be fine, but carrying it while running through would be very difficult, while still having hands free to handle with.

It's like saying you shouldn't show jump a horse with a saddle and bridle because it is too dangerous? I have never heard of practice agility equiptment (which all comes apart) causing injury due to a harness?

I use a plain collar at agility with no tags, and a Rogz multipurpose leash. You can clip it around your shoulders/waist while running.

I have a Comfortflex harness. I can confirm that it doesn't rip an Aussie's coat or rub, but it does restrict movement slightly which is another reason (besides safety) that you cannot do agility with a harness.

I am not talking running whole courses? Just training.

Slip lead would be fine, but carrying it while running through would be very difficult, while still having hands free to handle with.

It's like saying you shouldn't show jump a horse with a saddle and bridle because it is too dangerous? I have never heard of practice agility equiptment (which all comes apart) causing injury due to a harness?

You can do ground work with a harness on but as soon as you start jumping, it needs to come off. The last thing you want to happen is for the harness to catch on the side of an upright and bring the whole thing down on him........

Put the slip lead over your shoulder/body while running or place it close to the area you finish so you can run to the lead together and reward there, it's annoying but it's what you have to do if your dog doesn't stay between exercises and harnesses are too dangerous.

I can see if I can find a slip lead that will be easy to attach to myself while running and try that.

Otherwise those Patentopet collars look great, as he needs to have a collar on while at training and they don't look any more dangerous than a normal flat collar.