Handling A Fear Phase

Jo_C

We have an eleven week old Rhodesian Ridgeback. We got her at 8 weeks and have been walking her daily with our 10 year old Jack Russell cross. The intention being to assimilate them (the JR is not impressed with a puppy in the house) and wear her out a bit so she is not so boisterous with the children and older dog.

She has never been thrilled about the walk, but has recently become terrified by it. I understand that she is probably in a fear phase but am unsure of how to manage it. Do we skip her walks for a while? Or is it best to just power through? I don't want to make walking a bad experience for her but need to reduce some of her energy.

How long are you walking her for? Puppies (and especially large breed puppies) should not be walked on lead for long periods as it can be detrimental to their bones and joints. Best way to wear out a small puppy is with free play (letting her romp around the yard, chase toys, etc) and training. Learning is very tiring for small pups! :) So yes, I would skip the walks and just play lots of games in the backyard and do some basic obedience training every day. 5 minutes at a time a few times a day is usually enough for babies.

Thanks for the link espinay. This has been very timely information.

Yesterday was the first time my 20 month old pup was fearful while out walking (she looooves her daily walks). We could hear a dog barking in the distance but other than that nothing had happened and I was at a loss as to what was going on with her, so just kept walking.

I didn't realise they could have a fear phase at this age.

We have an eleven week old Rhodesian Ridgeback. We got her at 8 weeks and have been walking her daily with our 10 year old Jack Russell cross. The intention being to assimilate them (the JR is not impressed with a puppy in the house) and wear her out a bit so she is not so boisterous with the children and older dog.

She has never been thrilled about the walk, but has recently become terrified by it. I understand that she is probably in a fear phase but am unsure of how to manage it. Do we skip her walks for a while? Or is it best to just power through? I don't want to make walking a bad experience for her but need to reduce some of her energy.

What exactly is she terrified of Jo_C?

As others have said if you want to tire her out a bit try some training at home :) I especially reccommend introducing her to the clicker because not only does that style of training really tire them out mentally but if she has developed a fear of something the clicker can be used in a desensitisation program to rid her of her fear.

I think the first thing you need to remember is she will be boistrous,it is her age & she entitled to be a pup so maybe managing the older dog for time out & the kids would be a good option as well.

I think the first question you need to ask is why she has never been thrilled with walking .

Is it due to not been lead trained,walking to far & expecting to much on walks,does the other dog react to her on the walks & maybe feels overwhelmed by to much happening in such a short time frame especially if the pup has built a trust in its owners .

When i walk my large breeds at this age it about life experience & seeing the world & the back yard is for boisterous free running .

You wont tire the pup out by walking & i am a firm believer of allowing pup behavior but also teaching future behavior .

How old are the kids ??

The kids are 9 & 11, and the other dogs walks on a lead very well. Over the past week she has settled down somewhat and is less terrified by everything she encounters. Distant barking dogs do not freak her out anymore and she has eased up on pulling/running at full speed.

We have shortened the duration of walks and try to take the edge off her energy with some ball play at home before the walk.

She is a delightful puppy and settling down nicely. Maybe my expectations of her have been a bit high :o

DSC_0436.jpg

Edited by Jo_C