Dna Testing

dannyBC

GTG offer all the colour genes as does Vetgen in the US. If you only need one colour, not the whole panel, somewhere like ASAP Lab might be cheaper.

I depends on what colours you wan to test for. Personally I just like to wait and see what colours, if any, turn up.

I used Vetgen, they were fine to deal with. I especially wanted to test for EG, but had at and k done also as they had a deal on. Entirely curiosity driven.

Edited by Diva

Colour testing is on hold in Aust at the moment.

I had just ordered the whole box n dice for one of mine from ASAP. $135 for a complete breed profile (DNA Profile, CEA, CL, TNS, MDR1, Long coat, Colour). You will need to supply at least two (maybe three) sets of swabs (2 swabs/packet) as ASAP need to send out for the some of the tests. The return email stated a return of 14-21 days. Ok for me as there is no rush and it is then all done. If you were needing the tests done more urgently, then you would maybe better off sending swaps to the individual labs offering the TNS (Uni NSW) and GTG for CEA, CL.

I had just ordered the whole box n dice for one of mine from ASAP. $135 for a complete breed profile (DNA Profile, CEA, CL, TNS, MDR1, Long coat, Colour). You will need to supply at least two (maybe three) sets of swabs (2 swabs/packet) as ASAP need to send out for the some of the tests. The return email stated a return of 14-21 days. Ok for me as there is no rush and it is then all done. If you were needing the tests done more urgently, then you would maybe better off sending swaps to the individual labs offering the TNS (Uni NSW) and GTG for CEA, CL.

That sounds great can you let us know how you go Mystiqview

That sounds great can you let us know how you go Mystiqview

Yes I am interested also. Coat colours, length, DNA profile doesn't worry me but MRD1, and the others do :)

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

According to the ASAP website they are not doing CEA or CL in patent licence restricted regions, they are not offering TNS at all and are only doing E, B and D colours for Borders. They also have merle listed as autosomal recessive in their info. A very bad error for a genetics lab.

ASAP may nbe offering TNS and CL but they are not licensed to carry out the tests.

Okay so I want to do MRD1, CL CEA and TNS, who is the best company to get those done through?

Links to testing are here Border Collie Club of NSW

Sydney Uni will be doing CL as well as TNS but are not set up for it yet so at the moment you have to get TNS done at Sydney Uni and CEA and CL done at GSS/GTG, who also do MDR1. Optigen in the US do all the tests but due to licencing laws they will not do CEA or MDR1 when they have allocated GSS/GTG to do those two tests for all Australian dogs. Optigen have a direct licence from Alan Wilton to do CL and TNS so can do dogs from anywhere for those two tests.

Last time I asked GSS/GTG if any BCs had tested as carriers or affected for MDR1 their answer was no. If you do a search for MDR1 the only BC tested as a carrier was a dog of unknown parentage so probably not a pure BC.

Okay so I want to do MRD1, CL CEA and TNS, who is the best company to get those done through?

Sydney Uni will be doing CL as well as TNS but are not set up for it yet so at the moment you have to get TNS done at Sydney Uni and CEA and CL done at GSS/GTG, who also do MDR1. Optigen in the US do all the tests but due to licencing laws they will not do CEA or MDR1 when they have allocated GSS/GTG to do those two tests for all Australian dogs. Optigen have a direct licence from Alan Wilton to do CL and TNS so can do dogs from anywhere for those two tests.

Sydney Uni are doing both CL and TNS now. Cost is $110 to do both tests. I think they are the only lab in Australia licensed to do CL by the patent holders.

Sydney Uni are doing both CL and TNS now. Cost is $110 to do both tests. I think they are the only lab in Australia licensed to do CL by the patent holders.

Oh good. I knew they were close to being ready to do both tests but hadn't heard that they had started the CL ones yet.

ASAP may nbe offering TNS and CL but they are not licensed to carry out the tests.

Those tests are sent away to other labs. Same goes with other patentened tests. For those tests you need to send an extra set of swabs for the send away tests