Deer Antlers

sheena

Not sure about that, but I think they would be the same. The Elk horns may be bigger & more suitable to big dogs. Do we have Elks in Australia :confused:

I don't know if we have, but if it's bigger, I guess it won't suit my pup :o

I found the link I got the info from: http://puppyintraining.com/are-deer-antlers-for-dogs-a-good-chew-toy

Many varying opinion but the last comment go to length about the different grades available.

I think it's still a lot better than nylabones and rawhides.

My Border Terrier youngster, a real power chewer, has always loved deer antlers - there were two hanging around the house when she arrived as an 8-week old puppy because the older dogs were only interested on and off. She worked her way through one until it got too short and I got too nervous to let her keep chewing. I bought a couple more just last week, and she is enjoying them, but it does worry me the amount of really hard chewing that goes on, especially the noise of teeth grating on antler all the time...really sets my teeth on edge! And I also worry about the effect it might have on her teeth. So I limit the chewing to a short time each day now.

I have also heard a couple of vets, esp. in the USA where they are used more I think, say they don't recommend them at all as they cause so much damage to teeth.....

My Border Terrier youngster, a real power chewer, has always loved deer antlers - there were two hanging around the house when she arrived as an 8-week old puppy because the older dogs were only interested on and off. She worked her way through one until it got too short and I got too nervous to let her keep chewing. I bought a couple more just last week, and she is enjoying them, but it does worry me the amount of really hard chewing that goes on, especially the noise of teeth grating on antler all the time...really sets my teeth on edge! And I also worry about the effect it might have on her teeth. So I limit the chewing to a short time each day now.

I have also heard a couple of vets, esp. in the USA where they are used more I think, say they don't recommend them at all as they cause so much damage to teeth.....

My JS was chewing about 6 hours a day for many months as a puppy. If I didn't provide things he could chew he would find his own, like the furniture, skirting boards, door frames and doors, my show trolley wheels, etc. He had lots of toys and nylabones but nothing other than the antlers was more interesting than the house. He was going to chew for that amount of time regardless of what I provided. He spent part of the 6 hours destroying and ripping apart toys and some of it with the antlers.

I bought antlers for my two and they totally ignored them, I ended up tossing them in the bin :(

Sometimes my boy is a bit 'unsure' with a new antler, he prefers the pre owned ones from Stella LOL. I just dip the end of a new Antler in peanut butter to kick him off :) spoilt boy.