Deer Antlers

sheena

It is about time I replaced my dogs deer antlers as they have chewed them down to about 4 inches long & I reckon soon I will have to take them away in case they swallow them. I bought them so long ago, that I forget where I got them from :( They have lasted so well...the dogs only have access to them for about half an hour each night when they are getting ready for bed. I would like to get bigger ones next time. Any recommendations for a supplier who might have them in stock??

Edited by sheena

I haven't ordered any for my guys for a while so thanks for reminding me Sheena....

I always get mine online from K9 Magic. They sell them in various sizes too. Excellent service :)

Thanks BC...they are currently out of stock :(

I haven't ordered any for my guys for a while so thanks for reminding me Sheena....

I always get mine online from K9 Magic. They sell them in various sizes too. Excellent service :)

Thanks BC...they are currently out of stock :(

Oh bugger, sorry. I'd better follow your thread then :)

Thanks Delta Charlie....unfortunately, they are out of stock too :(

Thanks for the link Raffikki...but they are too small.

I have found this sight that have 23-26cm (350g) ones for $20. So if nothing else comes up I might try them. Extra large Antlers

I almost peed myself with excitment at that link - but I checked with them before ordering, and they don't have them in stock (even though they were listed for sale on their site at that time) and they don't know when they'll be getting more in :(

I see that they've now changed the listing to being out of stock.

Edited by Allerzeit

I got some recently from here: http://www.dogtreatsaustralia.com/

I used Sway (whelping supplies) last time. I do like to support a fellow doler but they were out of stock this time. Great service from the above company. 3 good sized antlers within a couple of days :thumbsup:

ETA didn't realise that was the same link as earlier, sorry. I must have got in just in time. They do have some mediums though, for those interested.

Edited by teekay

Pardon my ignorance but are these real deer antlers?

If so could you contact the Deer Hunters Association and see if you can get some from one of their hunters?

Yes, they are real antlers and the deer on the farms shed them once a year, so need for a deer to be shot to get them. The problem is that there are plenty at some times of the year and none at other times.

http://whelpingsupplies.com.au/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=40

Might as well support a fellow DOLer :)

I have some questions regarding deer antlers as I've never heard of this before. How hard are they, can they break teeth? Our dogs have a soft enamel so we have to be careful what bones we give them. Also, I note the above photo, what's inside the shell? How long (roughly) do they last.

Off topic question. Within the attached link, there is mention of possum tails? Aren't possums protected and if not, what do you do with them?

Hey Poochmad, I'm s spaniel owner too. My previous two were very soft mouthed and never showed any interest on the deer antlers. I might as well have given them a brick to chew on :(

Little miss Penny can be convinced at times to chew on one, but she'd rather chew on a nylabone or something softer.

They are very hard, and I've heard of a few incidents of teeth fracture with powerful chewers (Labrador and SBT).

Hey Poochmad, I'm s spaniel owner too. My previous two were very soft mouthed and never showed any interest on the deer antlers. I might as well have given them a brick to chew on :(

Little miss Penny can be convinced at times to chew on one, but she'd rather chew on a nylabone or something softer.

They are very hard, and I've heard of a few incidents of teeth fracture with powerful chewers (Labrador and SBT).

Hey fbaudry...haven't seen you around for ages! Where have you been hiding?

http://whelpingsupplies.com.au/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=40

Might as well support a fellow DOLer :)

I have some questions regarding deer antlers as I've never heard of this before. How hard are they, can they break teeth? Our dogs have a soft enamel so we have to be careful what bones we give them. Also, I note the above photo, what's inside the shell? How long (roughly) do they last.

Off topic question. Within the attached link, there is mention of possum tails? Aren't possums protected and if not, what do you do with them?

The antlers are fairly hard on the outside with the thicker part having a softer chewy centre that the dogs really prefer. It sort of looks like dried marrow but not quite. The tips of the antlers are harder and solid and the dogs are not as keen on these. My Border Collie and Jap Spitz (7kg) both happily chew the large ones. The BC easily bites small pieces off some of them but the JS just gradually wears them away. The JS was trying to eat our house before I discovered Antlers. Both have great teeth with no damage from the antlers. The BC did chip a tooth on an old raw beef bone he found in a friends yard but not on the antlers. If I give them one each they take turns eating the "best one", then start on the second one. I have no idea why one is always better. :confused: Two usually last my guys about 4-5 months but there was one particularly tasting one they demolished in a couple of weeks.

I believe the possum tails are probably imported from the NZ. They are a protected species here but a feral pest in NZ.