Weave Training

So... We've made it to level 3 in obedience class and can now partake in "activity" class, which is a bit of an introduction to agility.

Besides the fact that we are expected to have a 2 hours session every Sunday morning (!) I'd like to get Penny a better start at weaving than the current "method" used by our not so forward thinking trainers (hold dog by collar - drag it in & out of the poles).

I got myself a set of six poles to practice at home but have no idea what I'm doing. I thought of using targeting but she seems confused once I remove the target stick..

I'm sure there are plenty of better methods out there, would be grateful if someone coukd point me to some fool proof videos maybe?

Cheers!

There are lots of methods to teach weaving. IMO it depends on a few things as to which method you decide to use.

If you are relatively new to training, I think two good methods to use are slanted pole/V-weaves and channel weaves. Both of these make it easier for your dog at the beginning by spacing the poles out so they do not have to bend at the start.

* Slanted poles - instead of having the poles upright, have them slanted outwards so that it makes a "V" shape and the dog can see down the middle. You can then send them down the middle to a toy or food reward. Once they get the idea, you slowly start straightening them up

* Channel poles - instead of having the poles in a straight line you make a channel by offsetting every other pole so the dog can see and run down the middle to a food or toy reward. As the dog gets the idea you slowly start bringing the poles closer together.

Here is a video I found very quickly showing you the idea. I'll post another if I find a better one.

With both of these methods you will also want a method to teach them how to find their entries independently, so you may want to investigate a 2 or 3 pole method of shaping them to find their entry.

If you are experienced in training and proficient at shaping, you could also look into Susan Garrett's 2x2 weave pole method.

What an excellent little video :thumbsup: When we got our first BC & had no idea what we were doing, LOL, we taught her to weave using wings on the poles so she had to go through the weaves, then we removed the wings a few at a time leaving the first & last one to teach the correct entries. This worked well for her & she picked it up really quickly. Our second dog, we taught the 2 X 2 method. However, we wanted more speed in our first girl, so we retrained using the channel method, but because they already knew how to weave, we started off with the channels only about 6 inches apart. Now if we are going to do a lot of weaves, we will move the poles slightly apart & it is a lot less stress on their bodies & they learn to "one step" the weaves with their heads down (which is good). If we had our time again, I think we would choose the channel method. Slower than 2 x 2, but kinder on their bodies. By the way, you space the poles 60cm apart. Have fun :)

Edited by sheena

Thank you for that! Great video indeed.

I think the channel is the way to go for me; I can't make my poles slanted to start with (it's a plastic set and we are practicing inside - i envy you all who have a backyard!!!). As you would have guessed, I am new to training (and suck at shaping :( ).

I had heard of Susan Garrett's 2x2 but it seems all too hard for me.

Don't worry that you are new :) shaping is tricky and requires you to work through frustration (the dog's and yours :laugh: ) while they work things out. Best to start with something simple.

I am thinking of training my next dog with 2x2 but it does look complicated and I will certainly have to watch the DVD a few more times first :laugh: I trained Kaos with a mixture of methods - channel, slanted, 3 pole for entry (thanks to Vickie!) and he weaves fine.

Good luck and tell us how you go :)

there is also barrier method. Little fences that go down either side from every 2nd pole to every 2nd pole so the dog can't do anything but take the correct route. Good for entries too and good for getting their rhythm right and building speed then you start to fade the barriers. replace the middle ones with little wings and slowly fade those out too.

Thanks again!

I agree Kavik, I get easily frustrated - and so does Penny - so we'd better stick to something simpler...

My set of poles looks a bit like the one in your video for the channel method - except it's only 6.

Where can I find cheap poles I could stick in the ground? Thinking of something light I could take to the park under the cover of darkness to practice ;-) ?

Thanks again!

I agree Kavik, I get easily frustrated - and so does Penny - so we'd better stick to something simpler...

My set of poles looks a bit like the one in your video for the channel method - except it's only 6.

Where can I find cheap poles I could stick in the ground? Thinking of something light I could take to the park under the cover of darkness to practice ;-) ?

alot of sports suppliers have ones for people which work fine. Hart sports was where I got mine. Cheapest way would be to get your 12 lengths of pvc pipe and then go to the $2 shop and buy 12 screwdrivers that fit inside the pipes. Then just bash the screwdrivers into the ground and stand the pipes over the handles. Also upside down tent pegs work if they have a long point you can stick into the ground.

Thanks got the tip! You are very resourceful and I wouldn't have thought of that myself...

I must say the 2x2 video is very impressive! I know it involves daily practice for months, but the results are great. I just sat watching others at training this morning. So many dogs have been training for years yet seem very hesitant about the weaves... Lots of food for thoughts ;-)

I don't think the 2x2 method takes an especially long time. My youngster learned to 12 weave poles with speed in not very many days. We did a couple of days then I put them away for about a month and revisited and she had no issues.

Good to hear that Ness! But then I guess all dogs are different, and being a newbie at this I will probably take longer - and stuff things up along the way.

I wish I had a backyard so we could practice a bit everyday...

Hi! We go to the Eastern Suburbs Dog training; it's a community club and classes are held at Centenial Park every Sunday morning.

Feel free to PM me if you need more info... We need more cockers!!!!

Oh bummer... Centennial Park may be a bit difficult for me transport wise as i don't drive/have a car frown.gif.

2x2 absolutely doesn't take months, the tagline of the DVD is 12 poles in 12 days!

I've spent a couple of months teaching Elsie, but I only train a couple times a week, sessions are very short and its been summer so we keep having weeks off training lol. She is weaving 6 poles currently with very difficult entries and she is working totally independently of me which I love.

However, the prerequisite - strong shaping skills - takes more than that. I love 2 x 2 but I wouldn't try it with a dog that didn't truly understand shaping. It would be too frustrating for them and the handler (and I see many people just luring the dog anyway and the dog has no idea what they're actually doing).

I did 2x2 without having done much shaping with my dog and didn't run into very many issues at all. :D

Come to think of it, neither did I - I don't think I really understood much about shaping at all when I trained Darcy to weave, and that was from the summary out of the back of Shaping Success (before the DVD was ever released).